Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / what happened to the welding jokes?
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-07-2007 05:43 Edited 03-07-2007 06:03
I was told by Jon that some of the jokes were inappropriate in this off topic bar & grill...

I agree that some were but, I do'nt think that the correct thing to do was to eliminate the entire thread all together! All the person whomever it was, had to do was to remove the inappropriate post only!

If I gotta worry about how sensitive someone might get over some of the things I post in here, then you're right Jon!!! It is indeed getting out of hand if censorship is the rule here!!!

I took some time and effort to post the jokes only to see them removed in the same day because, maybe three or four folks deemed the entire thread inappropriate??? I'm sorry but you folks are going too far here!!! Lighten up!!!

I've seen stuff on other threads that ARE DEFINITELY INAPPROPIATE but, are still posted so, if you're going to clean up this section, CLEAN IT UP ENTIRELY BECAUSE IT JUST SEEMS TO ME THAT "What's good for the goose is good for the gander!!!" Talk about reacting like a bunch of squares!!!

P.S. I believe very strongly that my jokes were all in good taste and if I offended anyone then you need to get a LIFE!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-07-2007 06:33
Henery, I agree with You. That ONE [I don't remember who posted it] joke was in poor taste, and probably shouldn't have been posted on a forum like this one, but I enjoyed it anyway.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-07-2007 11:04
Guy's, the whole point is anything posted in the forum could be construed as "endorsed" by AWS.  Our membership includes people from all sexual orientation, all races, religions and cultures so naturally, once we stray from the technical side of our boards, it would be very easy to offend someone.

Not one of the jokes isn't something we wouldn't hear in our shops on a daily basis.  While I may not agree with having to curb ourselves in real life situations, I have to respect the stance that AWS has taken, that is protecting the appearance of AWS "endorsing" the posts that were made.  Trust me, the Staff Members of AWS are real folks too, it's just that they have a "bigger picture" to look over and look after.

In my opinion, the Off Topic Bar & Grill has been a huge success.  One thread being deleted shouldn't be grieved too deeply, with all due respect to those who may have spent considerable time posting there.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-07-2007 14:54
I'm the one who deleted the entire thread. (It was hurting my head to figure out what was totally inappropriate and what was only close to totally inappropriate, so I deleted the whole topic.) There's a lot of leeway on the forum to express yourselves. Trust me, I'm trying to preserve that for us. (Don't post stuff that will put us on a path to an inspection standard on joke acceptance criteria.)

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-07-2007 15:23 Edited 03-07-2007 18:58
ANY MATERIAL THAT'S EVEN HINTS AT CHILD ABUSE CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE TOLLERATED OR ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM. IF YOU THINK IT FUNNY TRY WATCHING THE EVENING NEWS FOR CHANGE. MAYBE WE WILL GET TO SEE YOU ON "DATE LINE" WHEN THEY ARREST PEOPLE FOR WHAT YOU MAKE LIGHT OF.

I sure as hell do not find it funny or of all things "ENJOYABLE".

Is this plain enough? If morality isn't a big enough issue think of the legal aspects. What you post here or any where on the web is the same as standing on a street corner spouting the same rhetoric.
Parent - - By Odie (*) Date 05-13-2007 03:03
Yea Im a Proud old 45year Pipe welder.Lets be Kool Like we always have been.Odie
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 05-13-2007 11:05
??
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-07-2007 15:27
AWS J1.1  The flagship of all satire

AWS J1.2 Non Ferrous Humor

AWS J1.6 Jokes so Bad They Leave a Stain

AWS J1.5 Jokes so Bad you will be Thrown off a Bridge

AWS J49.1  Political correctness in Jokes, Lmiricks and Allied Humor
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 03-07-2007 16:26
LOL
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 04-29-2007 16:40
What do you say to a guy with an I.Q of 50. "Nice bead".
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 03-11-2007 02:40
Ross, As the individual that posted the joke in question I apolagise for it's content. I did feel however that we were dealing with welders and they are not always known to be that refined. It was not my intent to offend any ones sence of morality. Being the father of two as Ron has suggested I do not consider this to be acceptable behavour. sorry.
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-11-2007 03:47
Hey makeithot,
I, too, did not find any humor in that particular one. As a father, and of the "old school" genre, I am very adamant in my convictions regarding children and their well-being. I feel the fathers on this forum may also feel as I do and others may consider any joke acceptable.....everyones' choice. Your apology is quite welcome and it takes courage to admit to a mistake.....and you being a father, I do believe you are sincere.

Whether a welder, or anyone, the stage of any persons' refinement is in ones' own interpretation. A joke is simply humor involving life in general, but there has to be a parameter in judgment and thought, and an acceptability to all. The majority of the jokes were humor and not offensive to most, and I do hope we all can keep some humor here....Thank you for your honor to respect this forum....Denny
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-11-2007 04:12 Edited 03-11-2007 17:49
I think theres some potential in those LOL. Edited as the intent Was unclear due to the format change. J1.1 etc was the reference.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-11-2007 04:59
Apology and accepted all is well.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-11-2007 05:16
As perhaps the only person who got a laugh from the offensive joke, I must say that I don't pattern My life after the characters in dirty jokes, and I don't condone abuse of childern, or any others for that matter. I am not particularly refined. I do however have a sense of humor, and I hope I don't loose that.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 11:40
I hope that I can use the phrase that I've used in more times than I could ever remember to simply summize my reply in one word: "Ischcabibble!"
If this phrase get's censored then, I give up!!! Hey Jon, I ca'nt help being "Quixotic" about certain issues because after all, I was raised that way... I may be alone on this but, I always believed and will never stop believing that if a person does'nt stand up for their principles then that person loses their dignity or their honor.  In any event, Thank you for your kind words Jon!

Finally, I was simply stating the obvious to all that this could've been handled differently but, heck it's not that important anymore to make it look like I'm "boo hooing" over it because, I'm far from doing that!!! If any of you could actually see my true reaction.... Nothing could be further from looking like I was crying over "spilled milk' as some folks might've interpreted from my initial reaction. It was more like - If looks could KILL!!!

I found out some interesting things based on the reactions from some of the folks here and my summation is that for the most part, some folks need to venture out into the world more instead of just hiding behind their own shadows most of the time - Capish?

Why do I feel I'm qualified to make that summation??? Because, I and only a few other bretheren here can say that they've been around the world more times than they can count the number of fingers or toes they have on their person!!! Protecting this so called "FREEDOM" we all are able to or are supposed to be able to enjoy so, I believe that QUALIFIES ME to express myself with discipline, and discretion with sensitivity towards others however, I cannot control what others post in expressing their own personal sense of humor... That's definitely the job of the moderators and the site administrators for which I agree wholeheartedly is their responsibility but, that's not my gripe!!!

My gripe is simple... If you're going to run a "ship" or as we say "A Boat!" so to speak, then appoint the officers so that there is some sort of discipline because according to the info on the "Off Topic Bar and Grill", there was no "Moderator" to moderate the issue in a more equitable manner. Instead, "Heavy handedness" was the order of the day in my opinion which resulted in the reaction to one or two posts that were in very poor taste and not the intent of the thread or the rest of the participants thereof.

I can remember many times in real life where a similar situation would occur whereby there was'nt a representative from the organization in question - assigned to monitoring the public relations so to speak, and allowed something similar to go on... When an official was then assigned to set discipline for the culprit's actions, they handled the situation by directly going after the culprit only and using them as the example to set when the need was required to remind folks in the crew that they've better "tighten things up" so to speak...

Then on occasion when a situation occurred that warranted across the board condemnation as punishment, there was no hesitation to put that into effect... However, every situation was handled with consideration, and discretion to the crew and how it would effect their morale which was priority number one!!! I did'nt see that here and maybe I'm the only one!!!

What I'm trying to say is I'm not comfortable in expressing my self in the section in question because, I personally feel that I'll be under scrutiny from now on and I'm looking for some sort of reassurance that I personally do'nt have to worry about walking a tightrope every time I try to share some humor in the "Off Topic Bar and Grill". Maybe some guidlines posted by the administrator could shed some light as to what is & is'nt appropriate because I'm guessing here but, maybe all of us will be able to express ourselves better when we know what we are and are not allowed to write!

Anywho, I just come back from a road trip so, I'm beat - going to sleep!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-12-2007 13:25
It's not a boat Henry
Just what are you advocating? Or not advocating? They arrest people just for having pictures on their PC's (PERSONAL, PRIVET, Computers).

No matter what you call it. Its not a shop floor or a bar room.
It's a very public forum and theoretically for professional adults.

An open topic means we can speak for or against any subject from Politics, Religion, and Racism and enjoy enlightening and intelligent conversation on those and many other topics.

I can not fathom anything about Child abuse that falls under those constraints.
We do not and should not allow grown men to make threatening remarks toward one another here so why would we allow verbiage that threatens the well being of a child?

This forum has received a great deal of praise for its professionalism and I would like to keep it that way.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 04:19
Ron!

Surely you jest when you imply that I'm in anyway supporting the posting of pediophelia in the forum, or anything that can be associated with that horrible reality in our world today, or any other type of objectionable content!!!

I do agree with the administrator & moderators in screening out any objectional content from the forum... However if we had the opportunity to go over the thread in question, it would become obvious to all that only a very few posts within that particular thread had indeed objectional content which would warrant immediate removal... It would also be equally obvious that that reat of the posts DID NOT warrant removal, and that is exactly what my point is so Ron, I'm NOT Advocating anything at all that for the most part is or will ever be - at all objectionable!!! You can take that to the BANK!!! ANY BANK!!!

Are you sure that you're reading my posts thoroughly enough there Ron?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 04:30
Ron!

We know they're really ships Ron but, we still like to affectionately refer to them as "Boats" in respect to the "Diesel" Boats of WWII... That's why they're listed as "SSN's" or "SSBN's" or even "SSGN's" because, the "SS" abbreviation designation stands for: "Sub Ship" in case anyone else wants to know, and in case anyone's wondering what th rest of the abbreviations stand for well, here goes:B = Ballistic, G = Guided Missile in reference to the US Navy's "Tomahawk" "G"uided Cruise Missile, N = Nuclear.

Now with respect to what I may or may not advocate in this forum, here's my straightfoward answer...
Surely you jest when you imply that I'm in anyway supporting the posting of pediophelia in the forum, or anything that can be associated with that horrible reality in our world today, or any other type of objectionable content!!!

I do agree with the administrator & moderators in screening out any objectional content from the forum... However if we had the opportunity to go over the thread in question, it would become obvious to all that only a very few posts within that particular thread had indeed objectional content which would warrant immediate removal... It would also be equally obvious that the rest of the posts in the same thread DID NOT warrant removal, and that is exactly what my point is so Ron, I'm NOT Advocating anything at all that for the most part is or will ever be - at all objectionable!!! You can take that to the BANK!!! ANY BANK!!!

Are you sure that you're reading my posts thoroughly enough there Ron?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-13-2007 19:24
Henry my apologies.

I misinterpreted what you wrote. Your contributions have always been of great value and greatly appreciated. My primary concern is preventing unwelcome scrutiny on this Forum.

This Forum and the people the come here have helped me through some very difficult times and I am deeply indebted. The last thing I would like to see is it lose its professional image and besides my employer has some unbelievable security and if they think there is the slightest hint of impropriety they will lock  it out in a heart beat. 

There are endless amounts of the other kind of stuff from one end of the web to the other. Granted we do not need to be all business all the time and we should share our selves as well as our knowledge.

Again I apologize for my misunderstanding.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 19:54
That is the nice thing about our Members, we can disagree venemously then shake hands after we cool off and move on.  Sadly, that's probably the right thing to do with the joke thread issue...  It was a nice diversion but comedy is usually at someone else's expense.  It's much easier sticking to tech subjects and lite social...
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-14-2007 19:21
I like to imagine new people coming to this forum years from now, seeing all the posts about the deleted jokes thread --- and what a legend that will create. People will only be able to speculate about what could have been the cause of all that consternation, and in the dirtiest parts of their minds try to imagine the unprecedented heights of lewdness that launched a thousand posts. And only the old guys will have any firsthand recollection of the legendary jokes thread of two-thousand-aught-seven, and even their memories will be unreliable and vague. But they will say proudly that they were there, when they were young, and when welding was great.
Parent - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 01-02-2008 04:21
This is such an old thread that I dont expect anyone to respond, but your right ross.
Im reading over this thread and wondering what the heck I missed...
if olny I signed up sooner...
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-14-2007 07:12
Apologies Accepted Ron!

You're no slouch yourself either when it comes to this forum!!!
Oh well - All's well that ends well!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-14-2007 16:03
Ok the air is all cleared. Lets have some jokes, welding or other wise.

Like how welders are like whores. Always crying for more rods, more heat and more money.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-14-2007 16:15
Somehow, I just don't think starting off on the subject of whores will be any better than the last group...  I know you're just lightening the issue but... we may be all better off just leaving it dead.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-14-2007 17:57
Why I Am So Tired

For a couple years I've been blaming it on iron poor blood, lack of vitamins, dieting and a dozen other maladies. Now I found out the real reason. I'm tired because I'm overworked.
The population of this country is 237 million. 104 million are retired. That leaves 133 million to do the work.

There are 85 million in school, which leave 48 million to do the work.

Of this, there are 29 million employed by the federal government.

This leaves 19 million to do the work.

Four million are in the Armed Forces, which leaves 15 million to do the work.

Take from the total the 14,800,000 people who work for State and City Government and that leaves 200,000 to do the work.

There are 188,000 in hospitals, so that leaves 12,000 to do the work.

Now, there are 11,998 people in Prisons. That leaves just two people to do the work.

You and me . . . and you're sitting there reading jokes.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-14-2007 18:07
Hello Hogan, I work for the state full-time so I guess you are carrying my load for me(I thank you and the others for doing this). Although on a part-time basis I go out into the trenches and do some "real work". Loved the post!(there is some truth to it). Regards, Allan
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-14-2007 18:15
yea, bad choice! I wanted to test the water and I fretted over the it for  awhile and had even had changed the wording (substituted another word) but was not sure of the spelling :-). Oh wrong string. I need some coffee.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-14-2007 18:39
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-28-2007 16:40
Ok. What is ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-28-2007 16:46
Parent - - By TheBlackWidow (*) Date 03-28-2007 00:03
I found the Joke Funny...... But hey thats just me : )
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-28-2007 01:35
A blonde gal went into the library and declared loudly so the person at the desk could hear her clearly, "I'LL HAVE A CHEESEBURGER, FRIES AND A COKE!". The librarian said, "maam, this is a public library!" The blonde replied in a whisper: "i'll have a cheesburger, fries and a coke."

Courtesy of my wife, (raven haired), Julia.

HAW!!!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-29-2007 09:33
ROTFLMAO!!!

Ron! that means Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Arse (well it is'nt really "Arse" but, you get the substitution) Off!!!

Hey Sourdough! Tell Julia I really enjoyed the joke as did my girlfriend!!!  ;) ;) ;)

Has the snow melted yet? Heck, you must've gotten the last hurrah for this winter so, hopefully, Fair Winds, Clear Skies - Good Weather is headed your way!!! All the best to you and your family!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-30-2007 01:48
I sat and looked through the blinds this morning until my eyes adjusted, and I could see my truck down below through the blizzard. I figured it was "time to make the donuts". I slowly made my way to the coffee maker, dreading the day to come. I sipped on my Jamaican jo, put my long underwear on, pulled my socks over them, and went back in the closet to find my favorite hoodie. Got in the truck after it was nice and warm, and set off  -  still dreading the day to come. Drove for a yard or two, took a left and made my descent upon Wolf Mountain.....Colorado, that is.

I got above 8 thousand feet and GUESS WHAT................HALLELUYA, BRIGHT BLUE SKIES AND NUTHIN' BUT SUNSHINE, BROTHER!!

We had a great day. Some sch160, some 3", 4", and even 6". We'll see what tomorrow brings, hopefully the same!

Hank, my wife is in Alaska, but I'll tell her, when she's back tomorrow night.
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 04-02-2007 17:16
okay,here goes. get a coworker (preferably the boss) to read these words three times out loud, if they do it is very amusing to all that is listening. I AM SOFA KING.    WE TODD IT.    i hope this is not inappropriate to anyone, it really is funny.

laughter to all, (hopefully)
j.j.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-02-2007 23:24
"Weemarkable!!!"

It reminds me of "The Big Black Bug Bled Black Blood!" Say that ten times and each time faster - if you can!
Good luck with this tongue twister.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 04-03-2007 14:21
Here's another tongue twister.  "I'm a mother pheasant plucker. I pluck mother pheasants.  I'm the most pleasant mother pheasant plucker that there ever was."
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-03-2007 16:55
That one's even hard to read. Like I'm not a Fig plucker or Fig pluckers son, but I'll pluck Figs till the Fig plucker comes.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-03-2007 17:33
A man came home from work, sat down in his favorite chair, turned on the tv, and said to his wife,
"Quick, bring me a beer before it starts".
She looked a little puzzled, but brought him a beer.
When he finished it, he said,
"Quick, bring me another beer. It's gonna start".
This time she looked a little angry, but brought him a beer.
When it was gone, he said,
"Quick, get me another beer before it starts".
"That's it"! She blows her top.
"You bastard! You waltz in here, flop your fat a@# down, don't
Even say hello to me and then expect me to run around like your
Slave getting you beer after beer. Don't you realize that I cook and clean and wash and iron all day long??"

The husband sighed and said, "oh crap, it's started".
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 04-03-2007 18:16
Two blondes walked into a building.  You'd a thought one of them would have seen it.

Sincerest appologies to blondes.
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 04-03-2007 18:17
Now thats funny!
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 04-04-2007 18:12
to keep from offending anyone , some of the old welders after work got together and decided to tell special jokes . they figured out how to do it , the first one just said 6010 then there was some laughter , then an older welder  said 5p , some welders were laughting so much they couldn't stand up any more then one shouted 5p+ it got so bad that some peed their pants . seeing this a young welder , after work at another job thought he would do the same , so when they started telling jokes he came out with 6010 , there was no response then he said 5p , still no response then in despiration he yelled 5p+ . still no response , finally one of the senior welders walked over to him and said " its not the joke it's how you tell it " . good luck remembering jokes . willie 
Parent - - By IRWelder (*) Date 04-30-2007 21:44
How many welders does it take to change a lightbulb??

Four, one to change the bulb and three to stand back and say how much better they could have done it.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 04-30-2007 22:51
How many pipe welders does it take to change a light bulb?    Just one. He holds his hand up and the world revolves around him
Parent - - By Cgregory (**) Date 04-03-2007 19:25
:: sigh ::

Folks, we're starting to edge again to the point where I may need to lock the jokes thread down. I really, really don't want to do this -- we all need to laugh.

But let me just post the friendly reminder that this forum does attract those under 18, and we need to keep the forums very family friendly, ok?

(oh, and although I'm leaving those particular posts up...some of you might want to remember that one of your moderators is blonde :) )

-- christine
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-03-2007 19:57
grinch
Parent - - By Cgregory (**) Date 04-04-2007 14:51
A blonde grinch, though :) That should help matters :)
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 04-04-2007 22:52
a brunette and blonde (not Christine) jump off of a 20 story building at exactly the same time. Who hit the ground first? The brunette. Why? The blonde had to stop and ask directions.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / what happened to the welding jokes?
1 2 Previous Next