Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SA-200 all copper windings
- - By Root Pass (***) Date 03-19-2007 19:45
What year did Lincoln stop using all copper windings?  Are the welding machines with the angled(not all round) generators aluminum?And what is the differance between the "Red Face" and "Black Face" machines of the same year/period?
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 03-20-2007 04:28
I've heard the reface were all copper and the blackfaces had some aluminum but someone told me just recently he had welded I think with a 73 or 75 sa 200 and he thought it was the best he had welded with and he had a redface. People have told me that the all round ones I am assuming the cone on the generator that they were all copper but I have seen some welders that weren't perfectly round cones and they were redfaces so I am kinda lost as well on this subject. I have welded with a blackface onces and wheather redface or blackface it was a dam good welder. I really like how it had I guess you call it a soft arc to it not a gougeing arc like some of the millers I've welded with. I think the last year from what people have told me either 69 or like 73 maybe but don't hold me to it

Chris
Parent - By 2003440 (**) Date 03-20-2007 04:50 Edited 03-20-2007 04:52
I run a 65 redface and a 76 sa200 i think the 76 will root pass ,and fill and cap as good as my 65 i think it has alot to do with knowing the  machine, i do know some old guys like the redface machines better and refuse to run the new machines, i am a die hard old grey horse fan!
Parent - - By PlanB (*) Date 03-20-2007 17:17
Lincoln told me the last code number that was all copper was 7044. It was a black face. I have a 1970 model, black face that is all copper. Had a 1971 model that had the al/cu generator. They could not give a year. The generators that are completly round are all copper. They all seem to weld good, but there is a little difference.
Parent - - By KAJUN1 (*) Date 03-20-2007 19:58
I had a 63 red face, rolled the rack some, & added 300 amp brushes. It could go all day long. Real sorry I ever sold it. It goes back to the saying "they don't make'em like that anymore".
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 03-20-2007 23:40
My 71' welds soooo smooth I could careless if the windings were old tomato cans. Knowing the machine is also a good point, I can guide the rod holder and it will weld by itself(not so for my Trailblazer301).
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SA-200 all copper windings