Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Unsteady hands
- - By SuperheroR08 Date 03-22-2007 00:11
I'm starting to work with T.I.G and holding the touch is getting to me. My hands become very unsteady when i start the arc and i almost have to rest the shielding gas cup in the metal and thats not good. Any tips to help me out beside quit drinking so much damn soda? Thanks for any help.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-22-2007 00:50
Hey Superhero,
You already answered your first issue. Next, you would need to learn to control your breathing, and try resting your forearm as much as possible to steady your hand. Concentration on your arc and distance will help keep you from concentrating on your hand shaking. You need to get in a relaxed mode and allow your hand motion to be fluid when concentrating on the arc and filler metal. Try to do some motion practicing on a dry run with your forearm resting soundly and your imitated movements of the torch. The primary factor after that will be as much practice as you can muster each day.....don't give up....set a goal to get proficient with a positive mindset....and once anger or frustration sets in.....call it a day......Denny
Parent - By SuperheroR08 Date 03-22-2007 00:54
Thanks denny ill keep that in mind tomorrow
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-22-2007 01:00
Hello Denny, you were fast as usual and also very good with your suggestions. You beat me to the answers. Have a great day, Allan
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-24-2007 01:20
Denny,

As I recall from other post (correct me if I have this wrong) you've mentioned being a master gunsmith. Therefore I direct this post to you.
I've found that the standard methodology for target competition have a direct correlation. Proper balance of weight, breath control, hand eye coordition, for me it's just translating which is always easier than learning a new skill altogether. I realize this is semi off topic, but that has been my experience. I wanted to ask you, if you see it the same way?
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-25-2007 03:16
Hey CW,
Swing this post over to the Off Topics Bar & I'll hook up with you. No use going off-tangent on this thread...Denny
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-22-2007 00:58 Edited 03-22-2007 04:15
Hello SuperheroR08, for starters, resting the cup on the metal isn't always necessarily a bad thing, much depends on the type of weld that you are trying to accomplish. Before you even start to make the weld or power up the torch, try making a dry run of the weld joint with your hood up and seeing how comfortably you can achieve the motion. Another simple thing that you can apply to this, is to be sure that you aren't tensing up, often you may be concentrating so hard on making the weld that you won't relax, and as a result you will shake. So try real hard to make sure that you're relaxed when you go to start the weld. One other quick thing to keep in mind is to consider how you are breathing, all too often due to the concentrating thing again, you will forget to breathe and as a result you will likely shake and possibly jump when you finally decide to breathe. If you have ever done any firearms shooting to speak of, you may be aware of how to breathe using your stomach and not your chest. Try this method as it will likely make you steadier as well. I know you kind of mentioned this, but, if you drink a lot of coffee, energy drinks, or sodas with caffeine in them, you might want to limit this a bit as well. There will likely be others who will come up with suggestions, listen, try, and conquer the shakes. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - By SuperheroR08 Date 03-22-2007 01:19
Yea that is whats happening now that i think of it because ill do a dry run and be fine but once i put my mask down and start the arc i think i tense up and start shaking.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-22-2007 01:38
Hi Allan,
Thanks for reinforcing my offering. Many don't realize how breathing can affect your hand/arm motion and the resulting steady or unsteady movements. And, yes, your concentration level can really affect your breathing patterns and resulting manual co-ordination motions. You are quite correct regarding the relax mode to be in, or get into. The more relaxed...the more steady and fluid motion becomes.

Hey Allan...each morning my eyes open is another great day :>))....Denny
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-22-2007 03:08
I don't know if it is good form or bad, but I hold the torch with My thumb, index and middle fingers like it is a pencil and rest the edge of My hand on the work or some other support whenever I can. This way manipulation is done with My fingers, not my whole arm. Mind You I am not real good, and don't do really complicated work.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-22-2007 04:13
Hello DaveBoyer, I believe as long as an individual is comfortable and can perform the work they are trying to accomplish, the form they use is really irrelevant. Weld on! Regards, Allan
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-22-2007 19:10
Thats a good point. The less distance you have from something steady to the torch, the more control you have over the movement of the torch. As a beginner, I would suggest eliminating as many muscles as possible that are moving the torch. Then as you get steadier, move to other parts.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-22-2007 04:45
When you begin get into as comfortable position as you can.  If this requires compromises pick a position that is most comfortable where you intend to finish.  Then as you get more tired you also get more comfortable and that evens things up a little.  Everybody shakes a little.  If you can eliminate shaking entirely give this up and become an eye surgeon.
Bill
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-22-2007 16:46
I am a firm beliver what Bill says "get into as comfortable position as you can" and try to relax.  It has positive effect on the quality of the weld and how long you can keep at it.

Shaking?  shucks I've had people tell me it looks I have a thousand wires in my hand and swating at flys.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 03-22-2007 05:23
I would suggest that you set up coupons for all the different positions first ie: flat,vertical etc . Find a technique that works in each one that you are comfortable with then combine them all for a 6G. I also hold my torch as dave has suggested " like a pencil" but that changes day to day depending on what I am welding . Relax have fun with it ,tig welding is an art all in it self practice practice practice.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-22-2007 13:38
Isn't walking the cup a form of resting the nozzle on the weld metal? The problem is not nozzle support and resting I think. Its as was mentioned, relaxing and breathing well. If your free handing then resting a finger is acceptable. I wouldn't assume from the begining that 'resting' is a bad thing. In fact, its integral to the technique.
Parent - - By SuperheroR08 Date 03-22-2007 17:40
Today was a lot better i didn't drink any soda since yesterday i took a few deep breaths before i struck the arc i rested my elbow on my knee and my wrist on the table  i put the filler rod at the right angle and rested it on the metal and diped it nice and slowly and tried not to think about it. i would find myself thinking about dipping the rod into the lead edge of the puddle and start to shake like mad so i just try to go threw the motions and not think about it and it comes out pretty well just gota find a good rythem with the filler rod and keep my tourch in a straight line and ill be fine very helpful info i hope it can help someone else
Parent - - By andrewsullivan9 (*) Date 03-23-2007 18:03
Another small tip i noticed helped me was to wrap the lead around my arm this helps eliminate any problems associated with the lead catching anything and shaking the torch your maybe already doing this anyway
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 03-23-2007 19:36
Expanding on andrewsullivan9's comments, I have found that unweighting the hose end of the torch helps a great deal, especially with a stiff aircooled torch like I have (Ultraflex my ass!)  When I stand up to weld, I made a little hanger out of some 1/16 rod that goes on my belt loop.  I put a prussik knot on the torch hose and hang the hose on my belt loop.  This way I can control the amount of weight I am feeling on the torch.  On the table I will often lay the hose on the table to unweight the torch. 
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-24-2007 01:34
Caver?
Bill
Parent - By devo (***) Date 03-24-2007 19:45
No, climber and raft guide.  But the prussik knot was invented by Karl Prussik, a violin maker.  He used it to repair broken violin strings.
Parent - - By gmnidrgn17 Date 03-24-2007 21:35
I am not sure what you are welding on, but when we weld pipe we rest the torch cup on the pipe in order to walk the cup.  Advice given to me was to stick your tungsten out as far as the diameter of your cup (I use a 12 so my tungsten is out 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch).  If you are freehanding, try not to grab the cup, but instead try to get comfortable grabbing and using the handle.  The drinking is an issue, but some welders say it helps on their stick welding applications, the shaking helps leave a better pattern. Just a joke.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-25-2007 20:11
I believe there is one sure way to avoid unsteady hands! Don't grow any older.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Unsteady hands