Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Burned to the Ground!
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-28-2007 01:22
craigdailypress.com

I'm rebuilding the location that burned to the ground. Much of the stuff I'm doing is new. Many of the sch160 sweeps I am forced to modify and use are soaked inside with crude oil. Cleaning the outside of the pipe and near the weld perimeter is no problem. What kind of problem am I gonna run into if I get super heated oil very close to my weld, if any?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-28-2007 02:53
The vapors mixed with air can burn or explode, but I am sure You know that.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-28-2007 11:17
Once you run the bead and it is sealed up, it is the radiographers problems. The heavy stuff can mess up pictures. If it gets too runny before the bead is in, see if you can put in a bentonite plug on both sides of the weld. Also dry ice can keep the fire down. The last resort is to run the bottom quarter first, putting the fire on top where you can stay out of the way. Yea folks, sometimes you weld on a burning line. Also, you can try a steam purge, but that runs into the problem of heating up the residue, making a bigger fire. It still rings in my head from years ago on crude oil gathering line replacement, the gang would plug off the line withe what ever was handy, claiche, rocks, cow pies, and all the help I would get from the boss would be, "...better run the bottom before she breaks". Oily bell holes, burning pipelines and welding on loaded LPG lines is why I got into inspection. That plus, age, eyes, knees and belly.
Good luck!
BABRT's
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-28-2007 18:47
Thanks. Fortunately I have a reprieve in the way of ten inches of snow. Yesterday it was 70*???????
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-28-2007 20:34
Sourdough,
What about purging with nitrogen.
Not sure if it is practical or economic but it would remove all the oxygen from the pipe,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-28-2007 21:05
Naw, I'll jest git er done!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-29-2007 01:20
Oil is primarily hydrogen and carbon so if the material requires low hydrogen procedures the oil or the combustion products from burning oil would be a concern.
Bill
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-29-2007 11:21
If you use clay, cowturds or other media and this is going into process or through a meter, be sure the operator knows what you used. If a cowturd hits a turbine meter, the operator gets red faced, jumps up and down, calls your father something he and your mother did. Be sure your helper or the fire watch is keeping an eye on the open end. The residue can liquidify, run out the other end and cause a fire. Espically if you are having to do some out of position work.
BABRT's
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-30-2007 01:32
We actually took a roto rooter to most of the 2 inch. The project is coming along. We should be welded out by qitting time tomorrow. Then I guess I'm fired till next time.....
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Burned to the Ground!