Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / extra money with mobile welding
- - By shoeboxford Date 03-30-2007 20:41
I am a welding student in Texas, about to be certified 6g pipe, with a regular job. I work for a warehouse on sat,sun, mon and go to school at night during the week. I have a little miller bluestar 2e and cutting rig, well what i mean is i have the ability to do little welding jobs on the side. I have my college instructor who want to help with the jobs and make a little extra money himeself. He has at least 30 yrs of welding, been certified in almost every procedure. so i figure this would be a good way for me to get some good experience, even though it wont be a ton of work.

Anybody know what a good hourly price we should use? My instructor says 40/hr
I was kinda thinking of trying to undercut the prices of the other welders around here just to get some work. does this make us look like we do cheap work.

I also have a question about welding jobs in houston tx, around the coast. I was planning to move down there as soon as I complete my training and get my certs. I was concerned about the boilermakers union. will i have to join this union to make any good money in the future. I have heard some bad and good things about unions but would like to get some expert advice from you guys.
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 03-30-2007 21:43
Sourdough can answer your $$ q's. I get $50.00 an hour here i Ca.,but as I've found out,$50.00 isnt REALLY $50.00.There are alot of incured costs involved,consumables/maintenance etc.Also.I would just charge what the going rate is in your area.Dont undercut anyone.What comes around goe's around.You guys might try asking some of the local recycling yards that deal with metal.They ALWAYS beat stuff up and need things welded.AND,its a good place to get your feet wet as most of the things are non-critical.Good Luck...Gary.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 03-30-2007 21:54
You don't need to be in a union to work on the Gulf Coast. Texas is chock full of jobs for welders, they can't find enough. Freeport area, Texas City, Houston ship channel, on over to Port Arthur area are all booming right now.
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 03-31-2007 01:14
I started out with a real job and a welder in my truck, now I am flat out welding for myself. If you can hustle work and do a good quality job you are in buisness. I always wanted to do what I am doing now and with a little willpower I now am. Best of luck to you. As far as the union/non union goes, I have worked both and have enough work without paying the local dues, etc.... I am all for non union free enterprise. BTW I charge a MINNIUM!! of $65 an hour ++
Parent - - By bphinson (*) Date 03-31-2007 14:06
Hey shoeboxford-I'm Brad and its a pleasure to meet you and welcome to the forum. The same things that you are running into in terms of getting into industry are the same issues I'm encountering as I am getting into industry. The welding program your in and the one im in sound very much alike. These are some of my observations as far as working in the tx gulf coast region. I grew up surrounded by plants and the petrochemical industry. I firmly believe it is the good ol' boy system at work in terms of landing craft maintenance jobs at the plants. For example many of my buddies from high school became operators (or process technology) or pursued skilled crafts at bp, shell, exxon, valero, etc., we were surrounded by them all (the plants that is). It was who they knew (their dads') that got them these kind of jobs 99% of the time. If you went into a union, it was pretty much who you knew. My grandpa was a union electrician and consequently my uncle became a union electrician. The bottom line around here is if you can weld, pass a craft test, and have some real world experience then bam you're pretty much hired. This last statement is pretty much in regards to the shutdown/turnaround jobs in the area. This is a right to work state so the first person that shows up and does an app., pass craft test, etc., goes to work immediately. Remember that in this particular region that there is a tremendous influx of immigrants, so big well known contractors (mostly non-union) will utilize this to their advantage. How can the most work get done for the least $? I myself am going to venture into the rig portion of the industry and work for myself. It is "rig" country around here. If you can get your name out there, produce high-quality work, hustle jobs, and run the highways then one will do very well in the business. The more you persevere then the more successful you will be! I hope this helps. Let me know what you decide to do! Certs are great but always think in terms of what the employer is thinking-the bottom line-the most work for the least $!
Parent - By shoeboxford Date 03-31-2007 21:23
Wow thanks for all the info.  I appreciate all the help, and i will be asking alot more ?'s in the future.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / extra money with mobile welding