Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Maintain Welder Quals
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 03-30-2007 16:26
Hello All,
I am posting this question on behalf of a coworker who has many years of experience as an ASME and an AWS welder. He is now in our shop doing strictly Military work and is getting qualified for the specific Navy and other aerospace WPS's that we have. Occasionally we will see an AWS requirement (but this is rare).

He wants to maintain his ASME & AWS welding credentials. What does he need to do to maintain his ASME & AWS credentials and get credit for the military welding work so that he can pick up where he left off in AWS & ASME shops if and when he needs to?

Please help with your advice, this is important to him.
Thanks,
Coop 

Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 03-30-2007 16:44
Documented proof of welding with the particular PROCESS he is qualified for.  For example, if he is qualified for SMAW through ASME sec IX, if he will be using SMAW for the military, he will still be qualifed for the ASME certs.  The only time your certs "expire" is when you don't use the process for 6 months or more.  As I said, it must be documented on a welder continuity log for the particular process.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-30-2007 17:22
I agree completely with new tito.  It is only the use of the process any code is concerned with, not the code in which it is used.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-30-2007 18:42
Not sure of the real value though, other than keeping his hand in it, which is important. Not exactly like riding a bike. However, I'd still test him walking in the door. Wouldn't even concern myself with prior employer continuity.
And I've worked in some Union environments where you had to test em or you were sure to get a grievance filed on you.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2007 16:41
ASME welder qualifications are typically revoked when the welder leaves the company. There are only a few circumstances where the welder can transfer the ASME welder performance qualifications from one company to another and then there are some rather stringent restrictions.

AWS welder performance qualifications are a different story. The welder may be able to maintain welder quals for work to AWS D1.1 if there is a method to verify continuity, i.e., no lapses in welding with each process in excess of six months.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 04-01-2007 06:15
ASME certs are not revoked when a welder leaves the company they work for.  It's usually up
to the company hiring whether they will accept them or not.  Typically ASME certs are valid for a period
of 6 months, if certain conditions are met.  Under the United Association of plumbers and pipefitters union,
welders are certified at union centers (US & Canada) and their certs are transferable from company to company.
Only 2 provinces in Canada that won't except transfers of certs and they are Alberta & Quebec.
Really, why should a welder have to test for 3 or 4 contractors in the same month with an identical test.
What's your viewpoint on this subject?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-01-2007 14:55
I can pick or pull on this. I do not have any problem, if my clients(s)do not, accepting another companies papers if they are current for the process. I do make it clear to the welder the first welds made will be radiographed. Also during the visuals, if I have any craftsmanship issues, its off to the test booth. It is getting worse and there are welders I have seen from a certain company who have full test papers with destructive who cannot weld. When I see a welder struggling with the cap on 8 inch 7018, and I have test papers that sayes the welder has passed a 6G test, I know this is bogus. There is a school in the NE part of OK that turns out welders who seem to have problems with the SMAW process. If I see the welder is a true craftsman and makes an effort to do quality work, I back off a little. An inspector needs to get to know the companies in its geographic area There are some companies who are really tough on their craftsman, and others who do not know come here from sic-em about welding except they pay too much and wonder why their welders turn out garbage. If the client I am working for expects, demands and pays for quality work they usually do not have a problem accepting others papers, IF the welder is closely inspected.
My $0.02 worth.
BABRT's
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 04-01-2007 20:09
dbigkahunna, u r correct in saying that it is necessary to x-ray the welders first few joints to show that he can do quality work, produce sound welds, that is required of him.  Even though the welder shows he has certs, it his very important that the hiring agent try and read that individual as to what he can do.  We must keep in mind, a new hired welder is nervous at first, so we must take all things into consideration.   Very seldom, have i seen a welder that is not nervous doing his first test or x-ray.  I myself have been welding over 30 yrs., if i had to do a test that depended on me getting a job, i think i would be a little nervous.   Welders need to have quality work that is also inline with quantity.   Any qualified welding supervisor should be able to assess a welder after a least 3 practice welds and say, "continue or pack it in".
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 04-01-2007 19:20
OK thanks, I didn't expect such a good turn out for this question, but thanks, and I'll print this all out tomorrow for my buddy. 
So I gather there is a somewhat of a common agreement here - it's important to show he stays practiced in the process and LESS important that he makes so many overhead or vertical welds in the P1 or S42 with TIG and a bunch of welds on S1 pipe with stick, etc., etc.  {PRACTICE IN THE PROCESS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN QUANTITY OR TYPE OF JOINTS WELDED} And wherever he goes next he'll likely be tested at some level anyway. is that right so far?

VR to all,
Tom
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-02-2007 15:07
I believe the UA started that program as a way to getting back lost work by selling trust and savings. In the end for me, I'm testing em anyway. I wanna see what they can do before they light up on production work. And if I'm sittin on a witness stand I'm gonna defend myself with my own certs.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-02-2007 20:17
Welder5354,
I agree with your statement that welder quals are not revoked when you leave employment, however they cannot be revoked when they have not been issued in the first place.
I may be confused and please correct me if I am wrong but when you do an ASME IX WQT to an employers WPS and they pay for it they own that piece of paper lock,stock and barrel.
When you leave employment on good terms they may give you a copy of your welder qualification certificate, if you leave on bad terms you may get nothing.
If you pay for the test, you own the original.
It may not have been revoked when you leave employment but it is certainly not valid for a new employer unless the old employer allows it to be used.
As I am in the Southern Hemisphere things may well be done differently in the US so I hope I am not barking up the wrong tree,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-02-2007 20:39
For what its worth: I give every one of my welders a copy of their certs as soon as I certify the results.  Also, I do not accept ANY previous certs from other employers, no matter how legitimate or how recent.  Just my 2 cents.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Maintain Welder Quals