Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What kind of weld is this?
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-02-2007 18:33
Somebody just handed me a 22 0z Sapporo beer can and asked how it's put together.

The thing has a lovely little weld up the entire length. The can is steel and it looks like the inside of the can shows a definate heat affected zone. There is some sort of ripple or roll pattern. Could be resistance but I'm betting a fusion weld.

Butt weld?

High speed laser?

Anybody know?
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-02-2007 19:52
Send me a couple six pak and I'll figure it out :-)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-02-2007 21:19
Notice Ron, he said he looked on the inside. Meaning, the can was empty. Lawrence's friends aint crazy.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-02-2007 22:48
I think Ron knew exactly what he was going to do to get those cans inspected...
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 04-03-2007 00:28
For a full inspection I'm thinking a 24 would be the required noumber of cans for a complete inspection.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-03-2007 11:27
You need an assistant.  Better make it 48, just to be thorough.
Parent - By TomD (*) Date 04-03-2007 12:02
Those are beautiful cans.  I've done a little reasearch of my own, although not on the weld.  I can usually crush a coke can with the tips of two fingers on each hand.  I can't crush a Sapporo with both hands.  I can't believe they can afford to make the cans so well.  Next time I'll check the weld.  My guess is resistence welding, but it's just a guess.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-03-2007 13:36
A baby food mfg near me uses RSEW (Resistance Seam Welding) to put those cans together at a very high rate of speed...many thousands per hour.

Is that what you're seeing?
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-03-2007 13:53
Well! I think we need the cans to be full so we can verify the quality of the welds.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-03-2007 14:40
Ron,
Exactly. The cans should be immediately refrigerated at a temperature estimated as below CPT. Once removed, galvanic attack from the corrosive fluid medium is immediately a threat and therefore the corrosive medium needs to be quickly removed and deposited in a container more suitable to its temporary storage and further processing to render the medium inert. This of course will result in the formation of a refractory oxide layer upon the internal surface of the container and its weldment. Once this oxide is formed the 'cans' may undego the compressive testing and be disposed of.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-03-2007 16:20
Can we expect an article in the technical section of the Welding Journal - complete with graphs, references, and photos?
It could lead to another AWS consensus document; possibly called D1.6pack.  Of course, a volunteer committee would have to be recruited for the effort.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-03-2007 16:32
I think a D.10 committee would be more appropriate. Don't you Jon? Perhaps D10.6pack. The document would be entitled Recommended Practices for the Undetermined Welding Processes of Longitudinal Seam Welds for Thin Walled Ferritic and Austenitic Pipe and Tube for the Containment of Digestible Carbonic Fluids.
TAC will never figure out what we're really doing with a pompous title like that.
It'll take us at least a few years to complete our "literature review". And it would certainly require more than the usual preliminary "Drafts".
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-03-2007 17:01
Seems to me there should a loud obnoxious burp in there some where.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-03-2007 17:58
Ron,
I haven't as yet received my test samples.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-03-2007 18:33
And Lawrence is still waiting for his answer. The lack of one certainly didn't keep this thread from continuing.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 04-06-2007 17:42
I just need to know how I get my name on that committee list as I am sure I could bring some valuable experience to future discussions.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-04-2007 04:56
There was an article in an old Scientific American (1970 something?) about how optimized design of drink cans (mostly the deep drawn aluminum ones) had reduced the amount of material used.  If you are old enough to remember the cans from the 60's and before they were much more robust.  Smashing one on your forehead as I have seen done with new aluminum cans would have required a trip to the hospital for stiches.
Bill
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-04-2007 07:32
I believe JW got the process correct!

Back in the days when I used to perform the same procedure that js55 suggested, a group of researchers met on a weekly basis, (usually on the weekends although we had "emergency meetings" on a regular basis also) this group included myself, some of my best friends and a variety of lesser known female aquaintances besides our own girlfriends which broadened the demographic so to speak...

We would specifically sample different brands of canned beers, ales, malts of both domestic and imported brewers including the aforementioned "Sapporo" brand of canned brew... during our research, we found quite a few imported cans that were also welded using the same process (at least that is what most of us visually inspected) as Shane would more than likely agree that "Foster's" of Australia being included in the list! I especially do'nt recommend for anyone to attempt to crush one of those cans on their forehead either!!!

There was also a Canadian brand which for the life of me - I cannot remember the brand name that also had cans welded with the resistance seam weld process (probably because I used to drink soo much of it that since I "retired" from that profession many moons ago - on my own, the only thing that I can come up with is that I've developed some sort of "mental block" on that particular brand ;)).

Anywho, It's been fun to reminisce about some interesting aspects of a profession for which I'm no longer actively involved with... Then again, from what I've seen as of late - It's more than likely one of the best things I ever did in my life -remember I'm just talking about my own decision to "Retire"...
I'm not in any way suggesting to anyone here in this forum to do the same! Nor will I ever suggest that to anyone here! I will be available to anyone who might consider "retirement" only if they really are considering it... In other words, only serious inquiries (PM's only!!!) will be answered because, of it's serious nature!!! :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 04-04-2007 12:21
One of my father's favorite stories is that when he and a buddy got their first apartment, unfurnished, they made their own furniture through use of the most common materials around. Steel Schlitz beer cans...
They soldered together a whole living room set. Unfortunately they failed to clean the cans first and wound up scrapping the whole creation due to the stink!

Tim  :)
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-05-2007 03:44
After some research, I believe you are correct.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What kind of weld is this?