Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what does dig do
- - By elliott (**) Date 04-07-2007 21:22
How is it going guys. Just bought a maxstar 200 dx works great. but I want know is exactly what dig on the stick mode does and also what its for. I have only used the old tomb stone welders at work and they dont have that feature. Thaks for the info
Parent - By TaylorTolliver (*) Date 04-07-2007 22:12
im pretty sure its just another name for the voltage adjustment. it pretty much is just gonna give you a way to increase or decrease the voltage to give you different depths of penetration.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 04-07-2007 22:33
DIG is additional amperage when the load voltage drops below a set value. Miller's machines adds the additional amperage around 19-20 volts. When normal arc lengths are used the set amperage will be the only amperage while welding. At normal arc lengths the load voltage will be 25 to 40 volts. Therefore it is well above the 19-20 trigger volts. Set the main amperage control for the penetration and arc characteristics with the DIG at 0, then fine tune adjust the arc with amount of DIG that you like. Have someone watch the meters and crowd the electrode arc length, push it in and see what the voltage drops to.
"Amperage controls the penetration, voltage controls the height and width of the weld deposit". Cut & Etch. A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Parent - - By elliott (**) Date 04-08-2007 10:56
Thanks for the info on that
Parent - - By elliott (**) Date 04-08-2007 16:07
Happy easter. How everybody doing. Thanks for the info on the digg settig,but i also need to ask you guys this about does also control the force of the arc.I was playing with the setting and it seemed the arc had more force when sett  50 than 0. I was using some 7014 rod  and it sound some what  like 6011 does.Thans for any replies
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 04-08-2007 20:34
Yes, there is a force and that force is the additional amperage. Amperage is the greatest factor that controls penetration and an increase in amperage is an increase of penetration. The meters don't respond fast enough to show the voltage drop that triggers the increase in amperage from the ARC FORCE.
Take a XX10/11 electrode set the amperage for the arc characteristic desired. Then set the Arc Force at 100% and decrease only the Arc Force while holding a very tight arc attempting to short it out. Note this value, it may be a good starting point.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what does dig do