Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig welding brass?
- - By prowelder (*) Date 04-11-2007 13:32
Any body out there ever tried this touchy process of tig welding brass. I know that you can weld copper and its alloys with this process but never done it. Any help would be appreciated.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-11-2007 14:56
Hello prowelder, you are right in one respect, it CAN be touchy. but not always. There are a number of different alloys of brass, some are actually readily weldable. In my experiences you have to experiment a bit in order to determine if you have one of those that is easy, or one that is hard to weld. I have generally used various alloys of silicon-bronze. Try to make sure that you have the materials as clean as possible, this can include chemical type cleaning with acetone or similar solvents and physically brush or sand the surfaces for additional cleaning, especially when you are dealing with castings. On heavier sections a bit of preheat certainly can be of some help, especially if you see any centerline bead cracking. This cracking could possibly also indicate an incompatible filler material. You will certainly receive other suggestions on how to proceed on this, so keep your ears open. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-11-2007 15:34
I have always thought brass welded beautifully... I used to do a lot of it with GTAW.  AC and silicon brinze materials...
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-11-2007 15:55
Hello Jon, I haven't tried it with AC, I've always done it with DC straight, I'll have to try that. Thanks and regards, Allan
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 04-12-2007 00:07
Are'nt the fumes given off of brass toxic as well? I may be mistaken....??
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-12-2007 06:49
Hello Molten Metal, I'm shooting from the hip a bit, but I do believe there are some grades of bronze, or brass, that do have a bit of zinc in them. If that were the case, I would agree with your question of toxicity, more a long term issue, but nontheless an issue. I have never noticed any ill effects in welding the parts that I have had exposure to, but, they have been in a repair type scenario and not a long-term exposure situation. Anyone else care to comment on this issue? Regards, aevald
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-13-2007 01:37
Classically brass is copper and zinc, bronze is copper and tin.  Often other metals are included to enhance some properties.  Lead and arsenic for example.  Sometimes the term brass or bronze is used for an alloy which should be correctly referred to as the other alloy.  As usual it is wise to keep adequate ventilation and avoid the smoke plume.
Bill
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-13-2007 02:59
Hello Bill, thank you for the clarification. Regards, Allan
Parent - By prowelder (*) Date 04-13-2007 11:53
Thanks for all your help Greatly appreciated.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tig welding brass?