Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / overworked
- - By downhandonly (***) Date 04-12-2007 18:18
I was hard at it laying baseboard in the bedroom today and  I caught myself trying to put a nail in the end of my hammer like loading a stinger...I think I need more time off...
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-12-2007 19:03
Thats funny.
I once burnt my nose trying to scratch it with the hot end of tig rod right after lifting my hood.
There are things that tell you to relax a bit. Some things that tell you rather suddenly.
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 04-12-2007 21:55
Or when you forget to put your helmet on and try to flip your burning goggels, or cap down.
Parent - By dobsalot (**) Date 04-12-2007 22:53
how about leavin your pipe wrench inside the 24" drip you just finished weldin up!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-13-2007 13:17
Or, trying to flip down a pancake hood. Almost busted the bridge of my nose doing that once. Appears as though we've all had those 'welder moments'.
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 04-13-2007 14:04
  how about when you're in a hurry mainlining and your helper goes for the buffer and grabs the grinder instead. that ones always good for a bit of yelling and fileing.  I once broke out a guy who said he could drive a stickshift, he was doing fine for a while then when we pulled up to the next joint he wasnt stopping. Im yelling stop! stop! and I hear him yelling I Cant! the brakes wouldnt hold the cummins in low range. by the time I yelled "Push in the F@#$ing clutch!" he had already drove into the back of the boom. thank god for aftermarket bumpers
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-13-2007 14:17
Yeah, and funny thing about those booms. There's no give.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-13-2007 18:18
I usally run around cussing everyone for stealing my shades, and they're on my fat head!
Parent - By SteelPhoenyx (*) Date 04-23-2007 05:43
I was once welding some new sheet metal into the trunk of my '50 Buick and some of the liner that didn't get scraped off flared up. I tried to blow it out... with my welding helmet down.
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 04-26-2007 11:56 Edited 04-26-2007 12:04
I occasionally try to flip down my helmet, only to realize that I'm not wearing one.

Though my personal dumbest was in my friends car...I pushed the cigarette lighter in (I don't smoke) and pulled it out and asked "Does it work?" 

Without thinking I touched the hot end with my finger.  A sizzle and the scent of burned flesh later, I had my answer.  Damn welding fumes. (yeah, that's it!)  ;)
Parent - - By rebel74 (*) Date 04-26-2007 14:33
I think the dumbest thing I have ever done, I was GTAW and after I turn the gas on I wave buy my cheek just to make sure I have good flow. Just don't touch your cheek with the tungstun, I got shocked so hard I thought I was going to break some teeth.
Parent - By pipes (**) Date 04-26-2007 22:34
This is too good of a discussion to pass on! I could use multiple pages to tell all the dumb stuff I've done at work, but my favorite:
I was talking very intently to my new apprentice about how saftey is job one. While I was talking, I was in-between welds and leaning against a grounded table in our shop. I reached up to scratch my upper lip and didn't realize I was using a rod that I had just put in my stinger. Imagine my horror when I realized.
He didn't learn too much about safety that day, but I learned that 100 amps to the head will leave a headache for a while! What a bonehead I am sometimes!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / overworked