Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa-200 years of copper wound generator production
- - By w3kbs Date 04-14-2007 12:57
Hi my name is Bill Bruno and I have a small handyman business in Wayne, Pa. near Philadelphia. I am looking to purchase, in the near future, a SA-200 and  I am looking for an all copper wound generator. I would like to know which years were the "ALL COPPER WOUND GENERATORS" produced.
Thanks in advance

Bill Bruno
Wayne, Pa.
w3kbs@verizon.net
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 04-14-2007 14:34
not sure of the exact years but if it has a round barrel it's a good one your safe with a red face unless someone swapped it out to an octagon. the picture below is of my 67 redface, on the lefthand side behind the idler is the barrel it is the part with the mounting bracket on the bottom going to the frame. My 81 has an octagon barrel but still welds good, the only thing about the ones with aluminum in them is that they start off the day like any sa 200 but then as they warm up you have to keep turning up your remote more to get the same heat.  then you stop for coffee and they cool off fast and you have to go through it all over again. most copper machines with be off by about 10 in the morning. You can smoke a rod to warm things up a bit but usually just blaze and adjust to it.

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/downhandonly/sa2003.jpg[/IMG]
Parent - - By w3kbs Date 04-14-2007 14:48
Thanks that is a help.

Bill in Wayne, Pa.
Parent - - By PlanB (*) Date 04-14-2007 16:19
Code numbers 7044 and below should be all copper. Some 200s with the black face were all copper.
Parent - By SA-200 (**) Date 04-19-2007 02:42
1973 is when i started seeing the alum generators.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa-200 years of copper wound generator production