Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Miller sponsored Instructor get-together
- - By aevald (*****) Date 04-14-2007 21:38
Hello all, I am going to be travelling to Appleton, Wisconsin for a two day, product hands on try-out, informational question and answer, seminar with Miller Electric. I am wondering if any of you other educators out there are going to be a part of this, it is going to be held for my group on April 17th and 18th. Would love to hear from anyone else. Regards, Allan Evald
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 04-15-2007 19:03 Edited 04-16-2007 13:01
I wish the "powers that be" would sponsor such an endeavor for the benefit of "our" students, both secondary and post-secondary.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-16-2007 19:56
Allan,

I will be in Appleton in early June for an education steering committee meeting but I bet there won't be as much time for hands on. Sorry I'll miss you this time around.

If you get a chance, here is your homework assignment for your friends here @ the forum.

Have them do a demo with one of the new Dynasty 350 Hybred power supplies, and ask specifically for them to demonstrate real time differences between AC welding of aluminum using the following:

1. Sine Wave
2. Soft Squarewave
3. True Square Wave
4. Triangular Wave.

I am particularly interested in this new "Trianglular Wave,"  Miller claims it is better for thin aluminum. This is a new thing that nobody offers to my knowledge. (put some pop cans in your briefcase)

For under 7 grand this thing offers way more than Aerowave did at 11 grand.

Here is the product literature to prepare you for your assignment :)
http://millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AD5-0.pdf

Enjoy.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-23-2007 20:21
Hello Lawrence, sorry for the late response to your post. Appleton was a bit of a whirlwind, alot to see and not nearly enough time to see it all to the extent that I would have liked. All in all I was very impressed with Miller as a manufacturer and a company, they have many innovations and business practices that make really good sense. I was able to "play" with some of the new technologies in both the GMAW and GTAW areas, as I said though there was not enough time to work with these in the time that we were allowed by our schedule. As I believe you said in your post, the Dynasty models of machines have a bunch more features and have become a bit more user friendly, I didn't really get a chance to compare the various waveforms against one another to any degree.
     The Miller engineers were very receptive to suggestions from our group concerning things that we thought might improve the appeal of their products. They also seemed to be interested in the educational perspective of machine ammenities and things that would help us to better prepare and educate students without confusing them by all of the whistles and bells that sometimes come with specific machines.
     I had a chance to work with the Pipepro 450 a little bit, what a machine, plenty of great features and the possibilities for meeting different needs is readily available. At the time we were there the welding engineer was working on making some programming changes to meet some of the parameters that their pipe welders had specifically requested.
     You mentioned that you were going to be involved with an educational steering committee, I had a brief conversation with the president of Miller electric and he made some comments in regard to working with local high school career counselors to enhance promotion of the welding trades in schools. He also said that he hoped the resulting conversations would lead to some drafts and information that could be used around the country to aid in promotions in other localities. I am looking forward to seeing what might result from this. Also, if you would share your experiences and observations from your steering committee involvement I know myself and many others would be very appreciative as well. Regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-23-2007 21:03
Allan,

I'm glad the trip was such a succsess!

Appleton is nice.  Even nicer when the Walleye season opens in May!

We have a couple of Axcess power supplies that do some of the things PipePro does (RMD and some good synergic pulsing), It really does open roots as well as Lincolns STT. At least in my minimal trials.

Years ago we did some beta testing on Dynasty (it actually had another name) It had knobs rather than touchpads and I liked that... The euros and some kids really like the touchpads.

I'm not sure which programming regimine I prefer... Miller power supplies scroll through a series of questions about parameters and offers options  Lincoln provides numbered programs for every alloy, gas and wire size and you just look at the data plate and select the correct.... I like both, and I'm just not sure yet which setup beginners respond best to.

Will share when the time comes too  :)
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Miller sponsored Instructor get-together