Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / just a few questions about some weld test
- - By Red bone Date 04-17-2007 03:00
i had a few questions bout some weld tests.  What is the Arkansas bell hole test? what all is involved in this test i"ve herd alot about it and still have yet to have to take it.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 04-17-2007 03:32
6G, pipe on a 45 degree angle.
Parent - - By samh (**) Date 04-17-2007 04:26
Most likely 12". The one i took was 12" .288 wall. Ran 1/8" 5p+ bead and 1/8" 70+ hot pass, fill and 70+ 5/32" cap. Keep your rod about 10 to 15 degrees to the axis of the pipe. Some inspectors want a " puddle cap" and some will let you "hot pass" cap it. I had to puddle cap it. If your testing make sure you grind all of the wagon tracks out of your bead that you can if they let you grind.    
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-18-2007 13:40
WOW! Arky bellhole. Haven't heard that one in a month of sundays.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-19-2007 09:05
If its a 6g.... as said before its a pipe butt joing at a 45 degree angle.   Usually this will be an open root with a filler and or cap dependant on the thickness of pipe.  Again if its a 6g you are looking at two welds left and right side starting with each at 6 oi clock and ending at 12 oclock ideally.   I have seen guys do this test starting the right side at 7-8 oclock to allow them to reach over the top of the pipe with thier right hand for doing the left side (usually tig in this case tho).  I cant remember the last time I was allowed to grind my starts and stops on a 6g so keep that in mind.  If thats the test I hope that helps out
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-19-2007 13:50
Arky bellhole terminology is applied more to pipeline type work in which the progress is most often from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock.
I always thought that refusing to allow someone taking a test to grind stops and starts was ridiculuos.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-20-2007 23:40
The Arkie Bellhole isa 6G.This came from the Bald Knobbers out of 798. These guys ran pipe up and down hills. On 1104 if you weld a 12 on 12 in the 6G you are qualified for butt welds only any diameter, any thickness. A butt and branch qualifies you to well all diameters, all thickness in any position.
When testing welders in the 6G on 10 inch and over it is common to require the welder to put the bead and hot pass in using a 5/32 inch with fill and cap using 3/16 inch. You get on a real pipeline and try runing the bead with 1/8 you will get run off. Also when I test for 1104 I allow the welder to grind the stops and starts on the tack welds only. If they cant tack up properly and run a rod from tack to tack, thats tough. I do not allow a IP pickup.  Grinding of the bead before the hot pass is allowed. HP starts 5 minutes or less after bead. On standard wall pipe the cap is single pass. Over std. wall, two pass. No undercut. No arc burns. I understand surface GP espically with 5P+ or 85's. Dont touch my pipe with a file. Buffing only. 45 minutes from first strike after approving tack up to finish cap.
The branch is just as tough.
15 yearsago 70-80 percent of welders could pass this. Today, less than 50. Tested 8 welders last Wednesday got 1. 6 busted on the bead. Visual,IP. From 1/8 inch to one drilling rig wannabee with 2 inches. Never ran 5/32 bead One in the iron horse on a root bend.
One that passed was jam up! 
Parent - - By 2003440 (**) Date 04-21-2007 03:14 Edited 04-21-2007 05:30
I do not want to seem like an idiot but i am looking to get into the api 1104 welding ,as a cwi what do you suggest i do for preparation for the 12'' test,Also i know there are alot of guys who wont help a guy out i have never turned down a guy trying to learn and enter the workforce it seems to me that alot of guys forget they were rookies one time also you hear all the time of lack of skilled welders well why does alot of journyman welders not give welders helpers a hand up into the ranks there are some that do though well enough on that i just wanted  to pick your brain on some practice points..........Thank you in advance!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-22-2007 02:42
Get someone to furnish you some 10 or 12 inch pipe. It is a world of difference welding 4 inch and 12 inch. Throw away 1/8 welding rods for the bead. If you cant run a 5/32 bead, most pipeline outfits will not mess with you. Unless they are running a bunch of 3 and 4 inch gathering lines. But to pass the test you will need to be able to run the 5's and 3's. 5/32 and 3/16. Also get to a good welding supply house and get a copy of Graves Blue Book. A lot of inspectors require laying out the branch using a Blue Book and adding machine tape. If you can help a welder for a few months to get the pace of pipelining down, it will not be such a strange world. Then ever chance you get, run some nipples. Do a couple of branches. The branch test is not so much a welding test as an endurance test. I seldom see experienced welders not try to help out some breaking out. There are a few, but shine them on. Pipelining is a different world than shop work and the bets way to learn would be to hire on for a job as a helper and just see what the game is. Talk to the welding boss. Tell him what you want to do. Tell him you can weld but need experience. If you can make him a hand, they will let you carry off all the pipe you want. As an inspector I always will give drops to helpers who say they want practice nipples. It just goes for scrap anyway.
Good Luck and I hope to get the chance to test you one day, shake your hand, and give you a stencil.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / just a few questions about some weld test