Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / mag particle
- - By drifter57 (**) Date 04-19-2007 14:36
Just a quick question for anybody that has done a lot of MT work.Does anybody notice any health related problems? I have been doing this for 25 yrs as part of the job. Any more it seems to really get to my left shoulder after a couple of hrs of work. Hurts like hell!!! (rotater cup??). LIke to hear if anybody else notices this kind of problems.  Thanks..
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-19-2007 14:46
Tom,
Are you still toting around an older style probe?
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 04-19-2007 15:02
For sure, heavy, cumbersome, FAT BELLY holding 1 prod,  1hand on other , powder bulb in the other.Some times end up using my chin.
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 04-19-2007 15:19
I am not sure about the rest of the people here, but we have moved everything over to AC yokes.  Rarely have we ever found anything with our prods systems that could not be found with an AC yoke.  We do ultrasonic inspection on our weldments, and the MT we do is really only looking for surface defects (cracking).  Since there is obviously some people still using the prods method, I am curious what other shops are using.  I unfondly remember perfecting the "flashlight in the mouth" method using the prods as well!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-19-2007 15:24 Edited 04-19-2007 17:10
I noticed you said "prod"...hmmm, I'm not as familiar with those. I know Parker has some nice small fairly light weight contour "probes", maybe they have something worth investing it for you to save what is left of your shoulders.

edit:
This link is for the Prods from Parker(750a and 1500a)
http://www.parkreshcorp.com/productshighamp.htm
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 04-19-2007 15:36
Prods Method

http://www.ndt.net/article/0698/hayes/hayes.htm

This site above has a sketch of the prods method.  The mag current enters the part via two contacting prods and produces a distorted circular magnetic field in the part.  The contour "probes" are frequently called the yoke method here.

The operator has to lug around a power source and the prods attached to heavy cables to do the prods method.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-19-2007 16:00
Bill, the link that I posted showed a highamp power source(750 and 1500), but it has a cart so you can haul it around.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-20-2007 03:55
Hello JW

You aren't missing out on anything by not having to lug around prods. Just think of trying to hold a heavy welding lead motionless while holding them over your head. You are not missing out on anything, and no arc strikes to worry about (assuming your yoke doesn't have a short).

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-19-2007 15:34
are you performing work to a code that is requiring prod mt inspection? just curious
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 04-19-2007 15:37
Excellent point Hogan.  One can suggest other equipment, but the specs are the specs.
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 04-19-2007 16:00
Bill, pictures are of the same " prod" system. Our product is made to D1.1 standards. MT work is our own requirements for some parts and also customer requirements.  This will probably open a whole different can of worms but myself I have never been able to put my trust in parker yokes,  granted the ones I used were 15 yrs ago but I have a inherent distrust of them. Now I know that does not make sense to most but ????? 
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 04-19-2007 16:46
What are you inspecting...heavy plate weldments, fillet welding, raw castings, finished machined parts, shafts, etc?
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 04-19-2007 16:55
Mainly heavy weld't. Check out side edges of plate for lamination, fillet, groove,etc for welds. Some mach parts ( that is where I miss the Yoke) .
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-19-2007 17:24
i don't see a lot of prod mt. I'm wondering what your advantage is to using this method over a yoke.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 04-21-2007 08:26
there are some very good forehead lights that go on a headband or a hard hat at least it eliminates the requirement for a third hand, they are cheap also.
darren
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / mag particle