Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / SA-200 welding machine
- - By sonofagun Date 04-25-2007 19:25
Looking to buy a Lincoln SA-200 welding machine. Also trying to find out what to look for in a good machine. Thanks
Parent - - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 05-04-2007 00:01
Hi, about the sa-200's, I've had 3 machines all together, 1-300D which I sold, and the 2-sa's that I have now. What I always looked for when buying those welders was foremostly, a good generator that welds well with no serious electrical problems (inside the generator barrell) i.e steady arc characteristics and good output at all ranges of the selector switch.  As for the engine, an engine can still run with a fair bit of problems, but it depends on your level of mechanical apptitude as to how much work you want to put into an engine.
the long and short of what I'm trying to say is that when I buy a machine, I weld with it with to make sure it has the arc characteristics that I like, make sure it has NO PROBLEM burning a real hot 3/16 7018 without sputtering (the engine I mean). As for the engine if I'm buying a machine that isnt a project I look for steady idle, not too much sputter when it idles down, good power under load, and no smoke out the exhaust or crankcase vent, it's okay if there's a little whisp of smoke out the crankcase vent as long as it's not really blue. Hopefully that kinda answers the question. Oh, about price it's all up to you, but the rest of the guys on here probably know better then I do, (I live in Alberta Canada and it seems like most of us pay more for the old 200's than our American counterparts, maybe it's the dollar, I dunno know??
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 05-04-2007 23:14
pipeliner01 thanks that was very helpful in what to look for in a old sa 200.
Thanks

Chris
Parent - By Matt 2 (*) Date 05-06-2007 23:13
You also need to be aware of the rear main oil seal. Once they start they dont stop.
Parent - By sonofagun Date 05-17-2007 13:24
thanks for the infor.  I bought a early model 1960's redface sa'200. It really welds smooth. 
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 05-10-2007 01:56
how much are you looking to spend
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / SA-200 welding machine