Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "R" stamp
- - By crazydog (**) Date 04-23-2007 13:16
I don't know if this is the correct place for this, but we are looking at a job in Michigan that requires an "R" stamp on their cert. We don't know if it would be better to go through the procedure to get the stamp or contract with someone that has one. Let me know what you think, and if their is someone in the lower Michigan that is interested in looking at this with us let me know.
Thanks for your help.
Parent - By chall (***) Date 04-23-2007 13:26
The application, development and audit process necessary to obtain an "R" stamp is pretty lengthy if you haven't prepared for it yet.  I have heard of a company getting one in two months (on an extreme fast track); but it typically takes about six months.

Since your company doesn't already have one, I suggest subcontracting this work to one that does.

If you are interested in looking into this, go here:

http://www.nationalboard.org/NationalBoard/Programs/R_Stamp.aspx

https://www.nationalboard.org/nationalboard/Default.aspx

Charles
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 04-23-2007 13:35
I agree with chall.  If you don't plan on doing "R" stamp work on a regular basis, I would sub it out.  In addition to it being a lengthy process, it is also costly.  For "R" stamp only, I would estimate close to $10,000 for the cert.
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 04-23-2007 16:09
That is what we had been hearing, although the price to get it seems to vary. For the magnitude of the job the prices are not out of line. The time line is much more of a concern. Is there a list of people with the "R" stamp available. Thanks for the input.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-23-2007 16:40
Here ya go dude:

http://cstools.asme.org/holdersearch/

Drop me a line, I'm in Auburn Hills, Michigan, right across the street from the Palace of Auburn Hills.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 04-26-2007 07:36
now heres a stupid question,,,,,,,,,,what is an "R" stamp......?
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 04-26-2007 11:19
Not stupid at all. 

The National Board of Boilers and Pressure Vessels is an entity similar to ASME.  The short name for them is the National Board.

ASME has been recognized as the authority regarding design and construction of Boilers, Pressure Vessels and Piping (for industrial applications).  The National Board has been recognized as the authority when it comes to repair and alterations of Boilers, etc.

An "R" Stamp is "given" (ie - authorized) to companies that satisfy certain requirements which indicate a capability to safely perform repairs on Boilers, etc.  The scope of the "R" Stamp may be different from one company to the next.  Our "R" Stamp authorizes us to do repairs and alterations (design functions required) to Boilers and Pressure Vessels (including Power Piping), at our main shop and field sites controlled by the main site.

Other companies may not be capable (or interested) in taking responsibility for design, so they may elect not to seek the authority to perform alterations within the scope of their "R" Stamp program.

Charles.
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 04-27-2007 01:43
Is the R stamp given to a person or company? Can you set up to do only one type of product or repair? If so it is as extensive process to get the stamp? As I explained we are only wanting to do one operation, repairing propane tanks, so can I get an authorization from soneone to do this?
Thanks
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 04-27-2007 13:02
It's issued to a company.  The scope, as laid out in your QC manual will determine the products and work to be performed under the "R" stamp.  As you look into this more, your AI will be able to help you quite a bit.
Parent - - By jeffww88 (*) Date 04-28-2007 00:17
I have a pdf document from Hartford Steam Boiler that outlines the process of obtaining your "R" stamp.  If you are interested, leave your email and I'll send you a copy.

Jeff
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 04-30-2007 15:34
Jeff,
My e-mail is msteelfab@aol.com. Thanks for your time and information.
Dick
Parent - - By jeffww88 (*) Date 04-30-2007 20:41
It's on the way......
Parent - - By dringge (*) Date 05-02-2007 00:32
Any chance I could get a copy of those requirements?
email is  dringge@kirkwood.edu
Thanks
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 05-02-2007 14:30
If you did not get the spec., let me know and I will pass on.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-02-2007 15:18
Dick, I've just sent you a list of every single R-Stamp holder in the State of Michigan.  Let me know if you need anything else.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / "R" stamp