Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Cardinal Sin!!!
- - By RANDER (***) Date 04-28-2007 03:11 Edited 04-28-2007 03:14
Allright I know its the 11th Commandment "Do not drink and make phone calls" but im gonna break this one For the first time ;)
Any one else like Bass Ale?

Gun Laws --- Its the talk in light of recent events at Virginia Tech.   I just read an article about gun control and felt that all of you on this forum should hear my almighty voice so that Ye may be saved.  :)  

Listen I think Guns on Campus or Guns anywhere is a great Idea!  This Cheng suk OIh (I know its spelled wrong)  would have thought twice if he was in Texas or any other state that allowed people to defend themselves against scum like him.  Hey Ive been depressed too but I didnt kill anyone as Im sure none of you have.   I hate that I live in California where most of us are Conserve. Reb. but the lines are drawn to reflect a maj. of Lib. Dems.   But I guess when they vote for clean Air we have to build new units  at the refineries and those need maintenance so thats money in my pocket!!!!  Of course everyone gets mad when we shut down for 4 weeks for a little maintenance and gas prices rise.  Wait Im on a tangent. 

Theres two kinds of guys on Campus;
Those who will killl some motherfer like the one we all saw and those who dont carry weapons will die.

Sure some guy who carrys legit might go nuts someday when he sees a "C" on his grade but at least hell think twice before locking up a bunch of defenseless people and systematically executing them until hes SCARED of a Shotgun blast in the distance and ends his Fuc*in pathetic life.   My Daughters will not die that way and neither will I ... Ill carry until I die even if the Gov. deems it illegal.    (Disclaimer -- I am a Middle aged White Man but Im not nuts,       At least I think Im not)

What do you think?

PS (Off topic is great!!!)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-28-2007 04:49
While IF THE RIGHT PERSON in one of those classrooms was armed that incident would have stopped right there, but most of the teachers and most of the students aren't that "right person".  I am a firm believer in gun owner's rights, but I recognize that without the proper training and a cold heart, carrying a weapon doesn't help much. There unfortunatly will always be a nut case or two, and if armed resistance was expected, or if firearms were not available, they would probably blow up a crowded lecture hall, or similar event. This is a more common occurence in countries where guns are outlawed. In a free country like ours, the nut case has to actually screw up and kill or attempt to kill a bunch of people before anything can be done. While as all the perpetrators are loosers, loners and the like, it is actually only a minute percentage of the loosers and loners who snap and become murderers, the rest just live miserable lives of desperation. Wrighting dark stories, stalking, and setting fire to one's room in combination is just cause for concern, and should probably come up on one's record for gun purchases, but there are ways to obtain a gun ilegally, or build a bomb, etc. so We are right back where We started.  The people who provide mental help like to believe that these people can be cured, but I am not so sure Myself.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-30-2007 07:33
That guy was found by a court to be a danger to himself and others and ordered to seek treatment.  Because the order did not include involuntary commitment it did not reach the level where Virginia law required that it be posted to the FBI instant check data base.  Thus he passed the instant check and was able to purchase legally.

A middle strategy between disarm everybody and allow anyone to carry would be to deputize and train volunteers who want to carry.

As to the cold heart I suspect that being taken under fire will have a substantial chilling effect on any warm feelings one might have.

I wonder about a policy that recommends running to the far end of the room when threatened by a long range weapon.  The only strategy with hope is for a few to stay close to the doorway so the assailant can be engaged instantly as he enters the room.

God bless that professor who was killed holding the door closed so his students could escape out the window.

Bill
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-28-2007 05:49
Well the press is calling it the biggest mass murder in US history. The Anti Gun folks are jumping on the band wagon again and preaching doomsday if guns aren't banned.
Funny thing is, I distinctly remember A few planes in 2001 flying into buildings and killing a few thousand people.
They did it with box cutters, a few fake bombs, and illegal passports and or entry.

I did not however see assault box cutters put on the ban list. Or the assault Constantine wire, or other tools the terrorist used.

Once again the political idiots in Washington are seeking an easy way out. Our society has become one of instant gratification, and to appease the masses boxer, schumer and their ilk are beating the gun control drums again.

I don't see em banning the assault baseball bat, or the assault for ranger, or the assualt chair or any other of the myriad of tools used to kill.
No these same idiots want to ban guns, all the while leaving loopholes so that they may protect themselves with firearms either directly or as carried by their security. (as kennedy stated when a gun was found on him, he claimed because he was a "U.S. senator he needed a gun".
I guess kennedy doesn't think anyone else "beneath him in social status" doesn't need the right or ability to protect themselves with a firearm.
That goes for most of the hollywood kooks as well.

they'll point to England and other countrys that have instituded such laws, As I recall, it was bombs in the train stations there, and knives and bats
on a daily basis, as well as guns. Oh and btw, their crime rate has sky rocketed since banning of personnel firearms.
(gas in tokyo, bombs in france, poison for the jim jones idiots, just to name a few more)

So according to Washington we should all lay down our arms and sit around like sheep waiting for slaughter.

So lets all avoid the facts and live in a Boxer fantasy land where all crime is cause by those "evil guns".

Without addressing the root malfunctions in our current social order the tragic events at VT will happen again, only next time it might be a bomb or worse.

Am I the only one that sees this?
Parent - - By norcalwelder (**) Date 04-28-2007 15:03
Didn't Boxer or Finstine carry a pistol? Thats so lame. 
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-28-2007 16:31
Kennedy carried an uzi, I believe boxer never carried directly, but rather keeps armed guards 24/7, finstine(spelling?) carried, schumer uses armed guards etc.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-29-2007 08:03
I wonder if they're going to ban my tire thumper I always carry in the front seat of my vehicle or the "nine iron" I've always got in the trunk or my solid brass handle on the cane that also in there? FOUR!!!

The minute the Government starts to make all guns illegal  is the minute every patriot that holds their second amendment rights sacred in this country  - becomes a terrorist in the government's mind!!!

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!! The only thing where Stalin had anything close to the possibility of a good idea was when he came up with those Soviet style purges!!! We need to do that with some of these expletives who masquerade as our representatives!!! I believe if we send them to Iraq with a weapon they'll either die trying or gain a better appreciation as to why we hold the second amendment so close ot our hearts and souls!!! Charlton Heston could'nt have said it any better because that is what they're gonna have to do in order for me to give up mine!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 04-29-2007 12:22
Amen Henry,
I sincerely hope these politicians have a minuscule of common sense, the foresight to contemplate the absolute pure ugliness of the armed American, and the fervor we maintain for our constitutional rights. I served my country's flag, served my community, and will have no reservation to preserve my right to bear arms with the purest of ugliness. I really hope it doesn't come to testing we American's nature regarding our rights provided by men who had the sense to make life sacred and protected. Those were honorable men back then....that trait has long fallen by the wayside and has been replaced with greed and power. The political arena of our country is in shambles and it is they who will bring down our great country. I do believe the day of reckoning is coming.......Denny
Parent - By UCSB (**) Date 04-29-2007 14:00
People don't much care what the protest is, but they'll sign up for anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-30-2007 08:02
Mass murder by an individual in the United States- one Julio Gonzalez threw gasoline into the Happyland Social Club in New York and ignited it.  Eighty seven dead.  Oklahoma city bombing 168 killed (some will say not by an individual since Mcveigh had help assembling the bomb).  Removing "by an individual" the aniversary of the Sand Creek Massacre has just passed in which 150+ Cheyenne who had already surrendered and agreed to move onto the reservation were killed by a local militia.
Bill
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-30-2007 19:05
Guns and knives do not kill. They are just inanimate objects. People kill and if you have no defense they just might kill you
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-01-2007 01:13
150 Cheyenne, and untold thousands in events like it. The trail of tears isn't called that because people were happy. Mcveigh, well even if he wasnt acting alone, carrying out the act of loading up a truck full of explosive to kill innocents, thats bad enough to die for in my opinion. World wide banning of arms has never stopped this kind of violence, rather it encourages it.
Parent - - By rebekah (**) Date 05-01-2007 18:30
Hey yall

Here's an article with an interesting perspective:  http://www.slate.com/id/2164510/?nav=navoa

Rebekah
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-12-2007 08:37
I seen a tshirt once I wanted REALLY really badly....

On the front it said "Too bad ignorance is not painfull...

On the back it said "cause you would be in intensive care and not in my D&&m Way"

Knives, guns, motorcycles and computer keyboards absolutely DO NOT HURT PEOPLE.....Inadequate Behavior of people with these TOOLS does.  I remember caimpagining aganst a movement in the eighties over three wheelers....A women actually testified in a congressional hearing that a "three wheeler" MURDERED her husband.  Now folks when we fool ourselves into believing inanimate objects have personality and motive....we got some REAL problems.

As far as the shooting goes I feel its just a symptom of society really....people don;'t care about each other anymore and when one is sending up all the warning flags of "I can't cope anymore" nobody  seems to give a s(*^(*&^ ...then you have "oh my what a tradegy...that person was disturbubed...must have been a bad home life".    No how about this ...if you gave a ()*& about your fellow man...why did not you reach out of your little box and say hey  are you ok and spend 15 minutes listening.    I may be a *&^*%*&^  but I have no doubt that in most instances that is all it would take to prevent this kind of thing.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Cardinal Sin!!!