Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / low hyd salesman
- - By Robert C (*) Date 04-27-2007 01:29
Last week a guy came to my shop selling low hydrogen rods that according to him never had to be kept in an oven. He left a couple of 10# samples, and I told him that I wanted to see some paper work showing that they meet AWS standards(not seen that yet). Just wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this since it is against all I have been taught.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-27-2007 01:47
If the code says bake em... Than baked they must be.. no matter what the sales man says... no matter if his claims are true...
Parent - - By Robert C (*) Date 04-27-2007 01:56
That's my opinion also.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-27-2007 02:04
Take a look in the Technical Section. The thread on low hydrogen is getting pretty interesting.

Al
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-27-2007 10:02
A man named Len Andersen makes aluminum coated Low Hydrogen electrodes that do not need heating or hermetically sealed container protection.  He can take any brand electrode you desire and coat them.  (I used to buy my favorite brand and ship them to him.  He would apply his patented process, and send them back to me in 10 pound plastic containers that were not hermetically sealed.)  He actually performed the testing required by the AWS, but there is no A-5 specification for his patented process.  So, there was no "classification" he could apply to them. The low level of hydrogen output from the electrodes he coated was amazing.  His patent is expired now, and they wouldn't have to pay him any royalties, so I expect the big electrode manufacturers may go through the process of getting the process recognized by AWS.

I don't know what brand name or type of electrode your salesman is selling.  I used Len Andersen's electrodes when I ran a mobile welding service.  Many repair jobs were not done to any code or contract specifications.  I kept the rods in ten poound plastic containers, in my truck box.  Even year old electrodes are better than saled or newly baked "H-4" E-7018.  I used to do a lot of repairs with E11018M electrodes because it could handle T-1 or any other "Unknown" base metal. (Especially on heavy equipment repairs.) This electrode can also be ised to weld mild steel. No Matter what the experts say, it is just like E7018, and the strength difference does not hurt for non-code work.  I have even performed tests for a manufcaturer of ship fittings, for his repairs to his casting/forgings.

So, even though those "no bake electrodes" may not fit the code, do not dismiss then out of hand.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-27-2007 10:34
You are right again Joe

Now that I think about it.
Back in the very old days I did some mobil work in Sacramento and one of the clients was an ink factory... The ink would be leaking out of these 500 gallon vats and we would be required to weld shut the dripping leaks without emptying the vat... E-gadds what a mess I would be at the end of a job.

"Eutectic" brand had some wonder rod that could weld right over that leaking hydrocarbon laden ink.  We never had to go back and fix one of our repairs so the stuff must have had some merit.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-28-2007 02:16
Doesn't the code actually say that the rods must be kept in an oven only after they are removed from the hermetically sealed container?  Thus if some coating is applied to each rod that provides the hermetic seal said seal would not be broken till the arc was struck and the code should be satisfied. 
Bill
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-28-2007 15:06
In the case of Len Andersen's coatings, there is no sealing.  The aluminum powder coating causes reactions that make the difference.  If you would like to buy some of his electrode, call 914-536-7101.
Parent - By Robert C (*) Date 04-29-2007 01:34
I think this company was out of Canada, but they have a branch in SC
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-29-2007 03:37
Does the aluminum combine with the hydrogen and keep it out of the weld? or arn't You privvy to the technical details.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-29-2007 15:05
Yes, the aluminum turns to gas and "Gets" the hydrogen.  There is no Aluminum in the resultant weld deposit.

I am not privy to all the science in it, if there is any more!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-30-2007 04:59
Thanks Joe.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 12:15
Speaking of Len, has anyone heard from him?

He posted several times here in the forum about " Wet Welding " and left the threads hanging with many replying posts unanswered. Hope all is well with him.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / low hyd salesman