Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / In shop certification
- - By sandysman254 Date 04-27-2007 09:06
I am a relatively new cwi and was sent to school with three other people at the same time. Now we are having a debate as to what we can actually do as far as certifying other welders at our facility. I am of the mindset that we can do an in house cert for a specific job but am having trouble finding language on this.Can someone help with this.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 04-27-2007 09:59
Certified a is vague term, just someone signing a statement the someonelse can weld. You'll find many opinions on the value of certifications. Here's my take, I like to see other peoples certs especially when issued by a nationally reconized body (AWS, CWB), but if one expects to work under me they must test under me. The certs are all fine and dandy but it the qualification record that covers one's behind. After weld welders take and pass the AWS welder qualification test of D1.1, following the code requirement I'll have plenty of records to comfort me I'll have the WPS that are written to a Qualified weld procdure test record (sometimes a prequal WPS), the WQTR, and I'll have the actual test coupons once I have all of the records signed/ wittnessed/and stamped I'll gladly issue a certificate with my name and the company I represents name on it. The best thing is to know the code or standard that you'll be working to (they usually tell you what's required). I always encourage welder to get certified by National bodies, schools, or other employers to the more certs you have demonstrates the more practice that you've had, but with all the certs in the world still if you work under me you test under me ( I Started in Central Texas- Moved to Indiana, but should have bee form Missouri because I live by their motto "SHOW ME". :)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-28-2007 17:25
First of all, there is no requirement that the welder performance test be administered or witnessed by a CWI. Anyone authorized by the employer (or not) can "certify" a welder.

The certification document is only valid if people are willing to accept or recognize it.

There are welder certifications that I routinely reject because I know, or have knowledge of, the agencies or individuals that signed the paperwork. As the owner's representative, and acting on behalf of the engineer, I accept or reject welder "certifications". If there is a reason to question the paperwork, it is rejected.

As a CWI, you can test welders and "certify" them. That doesn't mean that anyone has to accept them. You will establish your own reputation in very short order. If you certify and put welders in the field that have "shaky" skills or abilities, your name will become synonymous with theirs. You will find that "your" welders will quickly complain that no one will recognize your "certifications". That is not a good thing.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-29-2007 13:04
Certification vs. Qualification.

It is my understanding that these are two separate terms, with two separate meanings.  A certified welding operator is not necessarily qualified, as the qualifications are documented for each test the operator performs.  For example, you may be certified to D1.1 by your company to perform process/thickness/position, but you are only qualified for the base materials and other variables you tested (successfully) for.  Right?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-29-2007 16:53
I differentiate between "qualification" and "certification" as follows:

"Qualification" is the act of demonstrating proficiency. It may include providing evidence of training, work experience, education, and examinations (perhaps both written examinations and a demonstration of skills) and possibly a visual acuity check (as in the case of meeting some military welding standards).

"Certification" is the written document attesting to the fact that "you" have met the "qualification" requirements. In other words, someone has to be willing to place their signature on the document certifying that "you" have met all the qualification requirements.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By whip (*) Date 04-30-2007 00:17
I test alot of welders bend alot of staps and see those welders put out in the field,on many different processes and applications with all kinds of joints and angles.Working with fitters that are trying to accomplish one thing getting the job done which they should. Unfortunatly in the Construction world the trend is No welding Dept. No welding formens which equals No proper accountability, so don't think for one minute that that a welder in a test booth with everything just right that can pass a test is going to be able to make it in the field,the test is only a indicator that the welder has the skills to be trained to learn to make that particular weld.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-30-2007 00:26
Got it.  Thanks Al, much better definition than I had.

As far as the post below, it's certainly true that success on a test coupon doesn't mean success in production.  Our hire-on test is a 3g plate in steel and if that looks good we give one in aluminum.  It's simply a way to see just how proficient the operator might be, not a do-all, end-all.  I am a little discouraged, because a lot of guys just want to burn, they don't seem to want to improve.  A few of the guys working here now are pretty good, and they could learn to be so much better, but they have little motivation.  I'm new here, so I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's got a lot to do with pay.  SATX doesn't have the highest wage rates in the country, so a lot of talent is probably driven north.  We do have one kid who passed his test plates, and now is ready for some D1.6 stuff.  As soon as I have it written, he'll be running it (just a reminder; I am rewriting my entire welding program).
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 02:38
Hello Bozak;

I know what you mean. Few people take advantage of opportunities for training and advancement when it's offered.

I took a job once simply because they offered a tuition reimbursement program. I was the manager of their pressure vessel fabrication department. Of the 75 people that reported directly to me, I couldn't convince one of them that it would be worth their time and effort to take advantage of the tuition program and take a few courses to further their education.

When I needed to hire several welders, I hired one young man because he was attending college part time and could weld. He wasn't the best welder when I hired him, but he caught on very quickly and became one of my better layout men and improved as a welder. I tried to institute cross training to prepare them for additional responsibilities, but only a few took advantage of the opportunity for additional training. They were satisfied with the status quo.

I left the company after five years with a degree tucked into my belt. The company is now one of my clients. That young welder; he's now one of their top research chemists. The others were happy to burn rod, not that that is a bad thing, but the company changed direction and only one of the twenty two welders that worked for me is still welding at that facility.

Welding is one of the few occupations that permit the practitioner to progress as far as he/she wants to go. A person can earn a living welding non-critical, non-code weldments or they can practice and train to become a skilled pipe welder or structural welder or specialize in equipment and machine repair. You can earn a degree and design weldments or manage projects that are beyond a young man's imagination. Yet, few technologies still depend of the skills of the individual like welding does.

I'm not sure the conversations between the "older" generations and the "younger" generations have changed that much. How many of the old timers looked around at the new crop of apprentices and said, "If that's our best, we're doomed!"

Somehow the human race continues to muddle forward. "Hey, Clive, you see the way that kid swings his spindly club? He's gonna starve! He ain't gonna kill nuthing with his lousy aim!"

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / In shop certification