Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pre heating aluminium
- - By mig welder (*) Date 04-27-2007 18:24
We have started welding aluminium with lincoln square wave tig plants in our shop.  It is mostly 3"tube with a 5/16" wall thickness welded to 1 1/2" tube with a 1/8" wall thickness both are grade 6082. Thats the back ground heres the question, what is the preheat temperature for this material.
Parent - - By Highway (*) Date 04-28-2007 04:34
I use acytaline and blacken the area, cut in the ox. and preheat until all the black is gone( Keep that torch moving to not overheat one area) Then weld tha heck out of it. It's not high tech but works for me as my folks will not buy heat sticks
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 04-28-2007 12:13
I was told not to use that technique because the carbon you appy from the acetylene is detrimental to the weldment. (although that's what I did for years before I was told otherwise.)temp sticks are cheap. use a tiger torch or sometimes nothing at all. check this out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/jwright650/welding%20pictures/PracticalWeldingTodayArticle.jpg
jwright650 posted that on here earlier
Parent - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 04-28-2007 15:39
I chatted with a knowledgeable old-timer some time ago in regards to preheating aluminum...

The technique that Highway listed should be good.....And these were for thicknesses of 3/8"- 1/2"
and over....  With 5/16" and 1/8" wall, you should be fine... Clamp well..  Backstep Weld Method,
and Periodicly check for distortion...
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-29-2007 03:58
The 200-250 degree temps mentioned in the PWT article as acceptable are well below what You will have when You burn the carbon off as mentioned above. If the alloy is heat treatable/treated, and if strength matters, burning the carbon off is probably not a good idea from a temperature standpoint as well as a contamination standpoint.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-29-2007 07:06
"Weldcome" to the forum mig welder!
Are you talking about this stuff?
http://www.alcoa.com/adip/catalog/pdf/6561_Alcoa_PipeTube78_98.pdf

Hi Dave!
Is there a possibility that you're thinking carbon steel when you mentioned what you did because, according to these .pdf's - their chemical compositions for both 6061 and 6082 Al show no carbon at all... Why? There is'nt any carbon in these grades of Aluminum. You were probably thinking along the lines of the Aluminum oxide layer that any grade of aluminum will have on it as soon as it's exposed to the atmosphere...
http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/education/knowledge/qa/Storage-and-Preparation-of-Aluminum-Base-Alloys-and-Filler-Alloys.cfm

Here are the chemical compositions for 6061 & 6082:
http://www.alcoa.com/adip/catalog/pdf/Extruded_Alloy_6061.pdf
http://www.alcoa.com/adip/catalog/pdf/Extruded_Alloy_6082.pdf
http://www.kaiseral.com/proalloy/pdf/tp_6061.pdf

Now as far as the differences between each alloy, one has to look at the slight differences in chemistry because the physical and mechanical properties are almost identical.

Finally, Read this from AlcoTec to find out what is really being burned off:
http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/education/knowledge/qa/Atmosperic-Conditions-Affect-Weld-Quality.cfm

Which leads me into answering your question regarding preheating Aluminum -Specifically the alloy 6082...
According to "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding" 13th Edition by Lincoln Electric in Section 9, "Welding Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys", on page 9.4-8 it recommends for GTAW Aluminum "Preheating: preheating the work for AC GTA welding of Al is necessary for heavier sections, where the heat is conducted away from the joint so fast that the welding arc cannot produce fusion. Preheating can be done with a gas torch or any othe suitable means. Unless the Ambient temperature is below 40 degrees F, no preheating is used on plate up to 3/8" thick and is optional between 3/8" & 1/2" thick. Plates 3/4" and thicker may require preheating but, the maximum preheat temperature should not exceed 350 degrees F... Maximum temperature of heat treatable alloys are particularly critical because of the narrow temperature range that mast be maintained to avoid adverse affects of the heat of welding on the mechanical properties of the joint."

So in a nutshell, Al was correct in suggesting for you not to use preheating for your specific situation. The only exception to this would be if the ambient temp went below 40 Degrees F and or the relative humidity is higher than acceptable levels... If these potentially detrimental conditions do exist, then one could preheat to 120-150 degrees F maximum especially for the grade of Al your working with. I would'nt preheat any higher than 150 F for the thicknesses you're welding together. Remember the primary purpose for preheating this grade of Aluminum is for moisture removal as opposed to other factors that can necessitate the need for preheating low alloy steels or some Chrome-Moly steels.

Here are some of the reasons for preheating the joint in preparation to welding:

"a)  To drive away moisture from the weld area:  Typically, this is performed by heating the surface of the material to a relatively low temperature, just above the boiling point of water.  This will dry the plate surface and remove the undesirable contaminants that may otherwise cause porosity, hydrogen embrittlement, or cracking through the introduction of hydrogen during the welding process.

b)  To lower the thermal gradient:  All arc welding processes use a high temperature heat source.  A steep temperature differential occurs between the localized heat source and the cool base material being welded.   This temperature difference causes differential thermal expansion and contraction and high stresses around the welded area.  Reducing the temperature differential by preheating the base material will minimize problems associated with distortion and excessive residual stress.  If preheating is not carried out, a large differential in temperature can occur between the weld area and the parent material.  This can cause rapid cooling, leading to the formation of martensite and probable cracking when welding some materials with high hardenability." Reference: http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/education/knowledge/weldinginspection/What-The-Welding-Inspector-Should-Know-About-Preheating-And-Postweld-Heat-Treatment.cfm
I hopes this helps in answering your query ;)

P.S. BTW, here's the main link to the Knowledge center ofr AlcoTec:
http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/education/knowledge/index.cfm

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-30-2007 04:57
Henery - I was figuring on some carbon remaining from the acetylene blackening suggested by Highway, and that the temp would be way high by the time it was burned off. The 200-250 deg came from the PWT article mentioned by downhandonly. Burning the soot off will surely exceed the 120-150 deg You are suggesting as max. preheat. That is where I was comming from with those comments.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-30-2007 06:48
Spit boils at around 212 degrees so if you spit on it and it sizzles you are probably somewhere in the 212-250 range.
Bill
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-28-2007 15:35
The 6000 series of aluminum alloys belong to the family of heat treatable aluminum alloys. They should not be preheated before welding. They are time @ temperature sensitive and can be over aged by holding them at "elevated" temperatures for any length of time.

If you were to test a sample weldment that was preheated before welding and the interpass temperature was not controlled, the tensile test results would be lower than what is typically accepted.

Over aging allows too much of the alloying elements to precipitate out of solution. Heat treatable aluminum alloys are strengthened by heating them to a high temperature to permit all the alloying elements to go into solution. Then the alloy is quenched to form a super saturated solution. Aging is triggered by reheating the material to a lower temperature for a period of time to allow some of the alloying constituents to precipitate out of solution. Over aging is triggered by holding the alloy at an elevated temperature for too long a period of time.

I am not familiar with the alloy you mentioned, 6082. However, it appears to be one of the 6000 series aluminum alloys, so I would expect it would react in a manner that is similar to 6061. The length of time at temperature goes down as the temperature increases. That is to say, you can hold the alloy at a low temperature without over aging for a longer period of time than you can if the temperature is high. Some guidance is provided in AWS D1.2 Structural Welding Code/Aluminum, Table 3.2. The critical temperature can be as low as 375 to 400 degrees. For example: the critical time for 350 degrees is 8 to 10 hours, 375 degrees is 1 to 2 hours, and 400 degrees is 30 minutes. So, you can see that as the temperature increases, the time at temperature is reduced very quickly.

The aluminum should be dry and free of all surface contamination. No preheat is necessary. If the metal isn't "flowing" freely, the surface is most likely contaminated with surface oxides or you simple are not using enough "heat".

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-29-2007 16:41 Edited 04-29-2007 16:44
Henry, that's an interesting reply and I enjoyed the article you referenced with the inclusion of the website link. However, the short article addresses a wide range of base metals, aluminum, carbon steel, alloy steels, even nickel without going into a detailed description of what happens to each type of base metal when subjected to thermal treatments. It is easy to miss some of the important differences that occur when aluminum is preheated versus what happens with carbon steel and alloy steels.

Just to make sure a point of information is not overlooked, I would like to clarify a bit of information regarding the microstructure you mentioned. I'm sure the oversight was simply an editorial matter in your attempt to "shorten" your response. The point that I would like to clarify is that martensite is usually associated with ferrous metals, not aluminum alloys and other nonferrous metals and their alloys.

Application of preheat to a ferrous alloys can perform an entirely different function in addition to reduce thermal gradients or drying the base metal surface. Preheating ferrous metals is typically performed to control the cooling rate to prevent the formation of hard microstructures. That is not the case with nonferrous metals. As an example; if copper is heated to a red heat and then quenched, it will be softened, i.e., it will be annealed. The same thermal treatment of a high carbon steel would result in a microstructure that is hard, strong, and brittle, i.e., martensite.

I applaud everyone that puts their names and reputations on the line when responding to the wide range of questions raised in this forum. You and others that willingly participate in this forum provide some very useful information based on a wealth of practical experience.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 05:18 Edited 04-30-2007 05:21
Al
I was merely quoting from the article and by now even you could see that my main point in referencing the 2nd primary reason for preheat specifically where martensite was mentioned was to indeed include ferrous metals also as referred to in the referenced article (Not my words) would also suggest.

Common sense suggests that if one reads the entire reference link - they'll get the messages intended for the article to share. Besides, anyone that knows the difference between Aluminum alloys and carbon steel alloys understands that martensite is not found in Aluminum - that's basic metallurgy 101!

Resepctfully,
Henry
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-30-2007 12:09 Edited 04-30-2007 12:14
Having Tig welded tons of aluminum lemme pitch in on this one with just a few notions and practical tips.

Aluminum is #2 of all metals in thermal conductivity, just below copper.   This means that a second or two after you have struck an arc (probably before you add your first dab if filler) you have a torch generated preheat of well over 250 degrees radiating several inches from the arc zone, this includes metals that are up to an inch thick or more.  If proper surface prep has occured, any mositure will be driven off long before the arc reaches it.

If it is not feasable to pre-heat as Mr. Armao suggested (I think warm is a better term since as Al has alerted us, preheat is not advisable for 60XX alum). All one needs to do is focus the tungsten slightly toward the thicker member of the fillet or joint. If the torch is placed exactly centered between the legs of the fillet, the thinner member will take more filler and the fillet legs will be uneven every time. In the case of aluminum, technique is very important because the heat will go to the heat sink naturally and this means you sometimes must exaggerate a little bit where the tungsten is pointed.

This same technique can be observed and demonstrated with fillets with members of equal thickess.... For example; Take a fillet of 0.063 aluminum and clamp it to a table. The horizontal member (the one clamped to the table) will drink up and conduct away more heat, so in order to get a weld with equal legs the operator must focus the arc a little toward the member clamped to the table.  The vertical leg has only the atmosphere to help it conduct away the heat so it gets hotter quicker and is far more prone to suckback.

So if distortion is not an issure.... Just focusing the arc on the thicker member and striking an arc and letting it just pause (I call it a pilot arc) for a moment to allow some heat to soak into the aluminum is a technique that is much more productive than a time consuming pre-heat technique. The proof that this technique works is that the operator will be able to back off on the foot pedal amperage after just a few dips of wire and continue to back off as the weld progresses when the (pilot arc method is used.)

While it is true that aluminum wants to be GTA welded hot and fast... A little patients in the beginning will make for a much better outcome.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 12:45
Hello Henry;

No disrespect for your response was intended. I understood what you were trying to communicate, but my concern was that not everyone would take the time and effort to utilize the valuable website link you provided. The information is great; I was simply attempting to reinforce the point that the microstructure "martensite" is associated with ferrous metals.

Common sense is not all that common. What you and I take for granted isn't common knowledge to everyone. There are so many "wife's tales" in the welding industry it hard to imagine we why don't have more catastrophic failures than we do.

How many times have you heard welders say the purpose of preheating is to "drive moisture out of the base metal," or "to prevent shocking the molecules"? I often wonder how those "tales" got their beginning.

Another bit of "misinformation" I heard recently was that "low hydrogen electrodes work best when they are wetted before use, they almost weld as good as regular pipe wire." It is a scary world out there!

It's so scary I sometime hesitate to repeat some of the things I've heard for fear people will only hear part of the quote and misapply the information. That happened once when I stated that SAW was an underutilized welding process. The question was then asked, "If it is never used, why even talk about it!" Some parents simply don't realize how much money they wasted sending their offspring to college.

You are on the mark regarding Basic Metallurgy 101, that's what we're all about.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 18:35
Hi Al,

Thank you for your kind response!
There is a possibility that we both misunderstood each other's intent in our own posts...

I know from the previous posts - you've shown respect towards others so I did'nt look at your last response as being disrespectful... I was merely clarifying my intent in my previous post - nothing more.

I enjoyed your post with respect to Low-Hydrogen electrodes and the curiosity and broad range of responses it generated... I hope you did'nt take my last comment too seriously about whether or not the "inverted funnel test" was actually performed because that was a rather vain attempt at some "stale" humor.  I also enjoyed Stephan's response in giving such meticulous detail in explaining the actual physical metallurgy and the practical physics involved with hydrogen "Diffusion" from the weld & the HAZ.

Your last response does hit the mark when it comes to using common sense. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said when it comes to how "scary" a world we really live in!!!

Unlike the German educational system, there is'nt enough emphasis placed in metallurgy when we train our welders here in the US... I believe it's because of the ignorance and lack of importance the powers that be place on the subject.

I believe that it is our duty as educators to emphasize the importance of including more time teaching and helping students to understand better the significance of applying "basic welding metallurgy 101" in all of the current welding curriculums to the decision makers within our schools... I do see more emphasis in including welding metallurgy which is a positive sign however, we still got some work to do!
Always a pleasure discussing educational matters with you Al!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By mig welder (*) Date 04-29-2007 20:38
Thank-you all very much for your help, your advice has been invaluable.
Regards Laura
Parent - - By rebekah (**) Date 04-30-2007 13:45
It looks like this thread is over but I would be interested in knowing what gas you were using, what tungston, what amperage and even joint design because like some of the others said, a preheat shouldnt be necessary if you focus your heat on the thicker material and the material is clean.  If you are having problems it might have more to do with your setup than the material and lack of a preheat.  I only preheat to the "spitting" heat if I am welding solid 2" or greater...
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 04-30-2007 14:28
Well, preheat is required for some 6xxx series aluminum on certain joint configurations no matter what anybody says.  Just focussing your arc on the thicker part isn't going to cut it all the time. Just for example welding a fillet weld around a 1/2" tube to 3/16" plate with a 1/16" wall thickness on the tube. The tube goes through the plate and sticks out the other side of the the plate an 1/8" and you can't brake down the top of the tube or suck back the inside. If you even try and tack it cold you will brake down the top edge of the tube.  If you don't brake down the top of the tube you will have lack of penetration.  This is all with a pointed ceriated tungsten, 50/50 argon/helium and an adj freq machine. 
    If you focuss the arc on the thicker plate and get it to puddle without touching the tube your puddle is rediculously far away from the tube.  With some preheat on the plate and the parameters above you get a sweet precise fillet with equal legs around the tube and solid penetration at the root.  I'm not saying preheat it to 350 deg but you do have to preheat it to get it to weld right.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 18:49
Nobody said that one cannot preheat 60XX aluminum Kix!

We're just saying that it is'nt always a requirement... There are certain situations where preheat is necessary but when it comes to the thicknesses described in the initial post by "mig welder", there's really no need for it... in fact unless the environmental conditions dictate otherwise, more harm than good would be the result of preheating the joint.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By mig welder (*) Date 04-30-2007 18:29 Edited 04-30-2007 18:32
White tip 2.5mm zirconiated tungsten and also a new type with a green marking on them they can weld both stainless steel and aluminium we are using pure argon sheilding gas and 5%sil filler rods.  We are also getting a milky white finish on the parent metal near the weld on the Heat Affected Zone what causes this?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-30-2007 19:09
Hello mig welder, this milky white finish that you are referring to is likely the results of the cleaning action of the DC positive side of the welding current as well as a portion of the high-frequency bombardment that helps to break-up surface oxides, it can also be affected by arc focus through AC hertz frequency adjustment. Adjusting the AC balance, high-frequency intensity, and AC hertz frequency, if your machine is so equipped, can help to minimize this effect. It is cosmetic only and not detrimental to the welds integrity. Some fabrication and manufacturing companies do not like this to show up on their products so they take the steps necessary to tune this out by adjusting their equipment. Just my $.02 Regards, aevald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 19:13
I suspect the "milky white finish" is the area adjacent to the weld that was cathodically cleaned, i.e., the surface oxides are "blasted" off the surface by the cathodic action of the welding arc.

The 6XXX series can also experience something the military welding standards refer to as "arc errosion". The outer envelop of the arc melts the very surface of the base metal and very fine shallow craze cracks can form. You will see them if you perform a penetrant test. They can usually be removed easily with a stiff stanless steel brush.

Good luck - Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 19:41
Or as Lawrence of Wulfram will state: "Cathodic Etch!!!" that's all ;) ;) ;)
Here's to you Larry!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By mig welder (*) Date 04-30-2007 20:07
Thanks again all help and advice is greatfully recieved.
Laura
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 20:18 Edited 04-30-2007 20:24
Ever been to Holy Loch "mig welder" - I mean Laura???
Btw, "Weldcome" to the AWS BBS Grand Central!!!

That reminds me, the other day I was watching this program on one of the cable channels here in the states about the underground tunnels and infastructure in and around Edinborough, Scotland... Are there similar places of historical discoveries in Aberdeen??? Just curious since these types of places are places that I fancy visiting... one of my hobbies. Forgive me for being so foward and off-topic.

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pre heating aluminium