Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / AEC-200 spool gun
- - By junkscrounger Date 04-27-2007 21:02
need a controller for a AEC-200 spool gun, (constant voltage only), should be a AEC-200-4C, and a electrical schematic for it, with connection instructions, picked up this gun several years ago , didn't know it needed a controller, any help out there??? , thanks , Dick
Parent - By aametalmaster (*) Date 04-28-2007 01:21
If you can't find a used one try here...Bob
http://www.weldmart.com/AEC%20SPOOL%20GUN%20MASTER.htm
Parent - - By weldersales (**) Date 04-28-2007 18:18
Hey Dick,         Look inside your AEC-200 gun. Does it have two rheostats mounted in tandem to control motor speed? If so there is another way to solve your problem. What machine do you intend to use it with?          weldersales
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-29-2007 03:15
Weldersales: I have [2] 20 E guns, and am interested in anything You can say about them.
Parent - - By weldersales (**) Date 04-30-2007 13:48
The old 20E guns and Airco Miget were the same except for color - 20E being Miller and blue. The early AEC guns were the same, but later ones use a small potentiometer and solid state electronics. Many people still like the 20E/Miget units since the cables come into the back of gun allowing easy over the shoulder use. Wiring wise, the Miller Spoolmatic II gun is identical and the Miller controls can be used on all these guns except the later AEC with pot. That is where we were going with that business about the tandem rheostats.   weldersales
Parent - - By junkscrounger Date 05-01-2007 02:07
To welder sales, Dick here with the AEC -200 with the twin rheostats and jog button, what's the new info??? thanks
Parent - - By junkscrounger Date 05-01-2007 02:09
to weldersales, addendum to last post, will be connecting to a 25 year old Millermatic "35"
Parent - - By junkscrounger Date 05-02-2007 13:50
Weldersales, are you still out there???, ( AEC- 200 spool gun controller)
Parent - - By weldersales (**) Date 05-02-2007 14:00
Good morning,      Sure, we are still here. You threw me a curve with that MM35 business. You could run the 20E gun from it, but we are just so short of time, not sure how to help you. Happy to get you a schematic if you are handy that way. My original thought was to get a Miller controller, say a WCIII, which can run the 20E but that is overkill since your welder has a contactor. Could use a WCII and we may have one of these, also. If you are really handy and a hobbiest, so can afford the time to wire, research, etc., you could simply wire the gun into the MM35 and install few needed parts. Would be a project, but the result would be an elegant solution. We would be happy to get you necessary schematics. In the meantime, will search for the AEC controller you asked about. Thanks,     weldersales
Parent - By junkscrounger Date 05-06-2007 21:54
to any one on the forum-- picked up 2- 60LB spools of solid weld wire, need to identify alloy #030431208L   it is non magnetic, was looking for it to be zinc, but I think it is a stainless, is there a reference page somewhere that tells how to identify alloys??, there is no mfg name anywhere on these spools, they are still banded, and wrapped with that old style 3" wide soft crinklie paper stuff.thanks,Dick
Parent - By junkscrounger Date 05-14-2007 13:02
weldersales, can you still help me with those connections for the spool gun to the millermatic 35, that I sent you the schematics, and wiring photos???, thanks Dick O.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-01-2007 02:26
Thanks, Mine are  Airco AH20-E Migets, one on My Dip Pac 200, the other on a Miller voltage sensing controll.
Parent - - By sierraville Date 04-06-2008 19:09
I know its a little late for  this thread, but I just came into two new, unused airco spool guns, circa 1983, with control boxes and was looking to hook one of them up to my Powcon 300smt. Anyone familiar with the plug inputs/outputs for the two units? I was also looking to sell one of the units with the cables,control box. Is there any interest?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-07-2008 03:07
      There is most lilely a 115 VAC power input, and a contactor plug. The contactor plug will probably be 1 of 2 setups. Some operate by completing the circut, the others operate by feeding 115 VAC from the control box to the contactor, this setup often has a female plug resembling the end of an extension cord. The control box can probably be wired to work either way. They did at one time make an  AC/DC capable one.

How much do You want for the other unit, can You post a picture of the control box, preferably with the cover opened? Do You know what gear reduction is in them [what size wire they were meant to feed] ? they offered 3 different ones of differing speed.
Parent - By sierraville Date 04-07-2008 06:52 Edited 04-07-2008 06:56
I believe they are ac/dc; the govt didn't do a great job describing them but did include that bit of info. They were listed as ac/dc 117volts, Airco 4762K480640015. The fedguy I've been talking to insists they've never been out of their original crates except to inspect and photo. I'll know better this week when the units arrive via truck. I'll get some closeup pics for everyone when I have my hands on them. Here's a crappy preview pic:
Attachment: 61QSCI08016815.jpg (26k)
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / AEC-200 spool gun