Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Set your Tivos!
- - By Cgregory (**) Date 05-01-2007 13:40 Edited 05-02-2007 15:01
The History Channel will be featuring a one hour episode showcasing the history of welding during its "Modern Marvels" show, on Wednesday, May 9, 8 PM Eastern Standard Time.   The episode includes a look at arc welding on skyscrapers, explosion welding, underwater welding at 2000 feet below the surface (the coolest section, by far!), robotic welding and friction welding.

You can find more details about the show here:

http://www.aws.org/pr/042607.pdf

Check your local listings -- you won't want to miss this!

-- Christine

EditEdited to show correct time/date: the show is actually airing on Wednesday May 9, not Tuesday May 8. Again, check your local listings!  And thanks, guys, for checking my dates!
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 05-01-2007 16:05
christine , thanks for the heads up . i'll will check the listings in our local tv guide . good luck . willie
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 05-02-2007 07:25
The typical underwater welds are around 40 below the surface.  Don't expect to see a 2000 foot weld underwater.
Parent - - By Cgregory (**) Date 05-02-2007 15:07
I figured that anything below a certain depth would have to be done by robots, or at best by robotic arms operated by a human inside a pressure vessel, given pressure issues.  But I'm just looking forward to the underwater photography shots. From the press release:

"It examines an environment, which can be as deep as 2,000 feet below the ocean's surface, with great constrictions, including a wet environment, limited visibility and other hazards."

This sounds amazing.  I'm assuming that by "other hazards" they're in part referring to the various critters under the ocean. And since one of my acquaintances is studying the environmental impacts of piping on bottom dwelling critters, so we're planning on watching this bit together.   We're hoping to get some ideas on how some underwater work can be done.

-- Christine
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 05-03-2007 09:38
I know that the pipelines that are laid give a habitate to marine life, so do oil rigs.  Nice places for those little buggers to hide.
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 05-03-2007 09:40
The only fish that I've been bitten by while working in the water has been trigger fish.  Seems that sharks don't like the bubbles that you make while working.

Charles Welch
Parent - By Cgregory (**) Date 05-03-2007 12:07
I don't know has much about pipelines, but I have seen the studies done of the ecosystems that grow on oil rigs -- it's really fascinating.   I was actually thinking that the real concern wouldn't be fish or sharks, but rather the other stinging creatures that lurk in the ocean -- but that's probably because the only nasty underwater encounter I've had was with fire sponge.

Dolphins use bubbles to disorient sharks; I would imagine it works the same way with welders.

-- christine
Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 05-03-2007 12:26
If I was diving, and a shark came near me, they would see plenty of bubbles..
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 05-02-2007 12:57
Christine, I think May 8th is on a Tuesday. My wife's BD is May 9th, and I have a surprise party for her on Wednesday.
Parent - By Cgregory (**) Date 05-02-2007 15:02
You're right -- I typed in "8" instead of "9" -- the show is on Wednesday May 9th. My bad!  Thanks for checking!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-03-2007 17:48
neato!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Set your Tivos!