Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / finding work and not knowing how to get started
- - By Cole Welding (**) Date 04-29-2007 22:46
I quit a job last year in may to build drilling rigs and when i got laid off in november i went to work in another shop and i didnt know how to find work. and everyone just says there is work out there you just have to find it. but i dont know who or where to go to find it and i was wondering if anyone knows who to talk to and where to find work for someone that has a welding rig with i new 300D lincoln and willing to work
                                                                                                     Charles From cole Welding
Parent - By Molten Metal (**) Date 04-29-2007 23:34
Try "roadtechs.com" That site has many current jobs available for cross country welders/pipe fitters/ etc.It's updated daily.Good luck. Gary....
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-01-2007 16:43
Get some insurance, and start running around to all the rigs. Someone will put you to work!
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 05-01-2007 23:01
what kind of INS do you have to get???  and do i need to go to the company main offices to get work or do i need to go see the rig foreman???
Parent - By Molten Metal (**) Date 05-02-2007 00:58
2 million $$'s I think is the minimum.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 05-02-2007 01:51
depends on what all you will be doing and who you will work for. Ask how much insurance is required when you go inquire about work because every company is different. I do work for some companies that combine policies for instance if I go weld a well head on not only is my work liable, the company that sold the well head is liable for their parts as well so their policy is joined with mine because the weld is part of their finished product. Just ask because every company does it differently. And dont let anybody scare you with horror stories of insurance prices. When you get the work it will be justified trust me.Its just something you gotta have. I carry well more than what is required around here simply because I do something different everyday oil feld related and it doesnt make a dent. Just scout it out wisely and let us know how it goes.
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 05-02-2007 03:23
I will talk with my INS people and get INS. I have been looking online i have seen and there are DYNAMIC INDUSTIAL services. Are theses places like that ok to work for ????
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-03-2007 17:44
personal message is in your box, Cole.
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 05-04-2007 21:22
Does anyone know about those serices that will find you work??? 
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 05-05-2007 17:16
I have not used them, but I have herd that they charge a "finders fee" for every job they get you, then up to 10% of the invoiced amount.  And even further they make you sign a contract that you will not solicit any work from the companies they put you in contact with, unless they are involved and get their %. 
Parent - By Cole Welding (**) Date 05-05-2007 18:39
OK i have a friend that said go you south of Dallas / Ft Worth area and i maybe able to find work. I did find a Co called CLP its one of those service places and they will test you at their place.  I have thought about going and find a pipleline Co. but i have to learn how to be a pipeline welder though. I work in a place called Natco in Electra Texas for about 10 years. and i really dont want to go back to another shop because all shops are the same. You have to deal with azzholes and not get paied in the process. I have a brand new 300D with 26 hours on it and i just want to work it.How hard is it to do that 12 on 12 branch test for the pipeline????  And i heard that there are stuff on the that welders can do on compressor stations that you just have to know how to weld structural welding untill you learn how to weld in the pipeline.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / finding work and not knowing how to get started