Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / I PASSED!
- - By TaylorTolliver (*) Date 05-03-2007 01:19
i passed my overhead certification test! i don't remember the code or anything, but i am now a certified welder. and I'm 17. so i rule. Go Mee! Give me some props everybody =)
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 05-03-2007 02:05
good going! now get to work!:)
Parent - - By TaylorTolliver (*) Date 05-03-2007 02:08
oh i will. ill try cleveland shipyard.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-03-2007 02:14
Congratulations!!!!  Now, the first thing to learn is how damned little you know!  Mouth shut, ears open!  You may open your mouth to ask questions!
Parent - - By TaylorTolliver (*) Date 05-03-2007 02:22
well actually im not dumb. i can read any weld symbol, read blueprints, oxy acetylene weld/ cut, TIG, MIG, FCAW, and im not even done with the first year at my career center. but yeah, i still got lots of stuff to learn.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 05-14-2007 13:35
Congratulations...But things like "I rule", "go meee", and "give me some props every one", isn't the attitude you need to be taking after passing one welding test. And, passing one test does not show your level of intelligence, only that you passed one test to a Code you don't know of. Be humble and don't throw too many accolades upon yourself. At 17, and knowing how to read any weld symbol (believe me, you haven't seen all the weld symbols out in the real world), and knowing how to weld in TIG, MIG, FCAW (how about SMAW, which is the first thing you are taught in most welding schools) is good, but realize you are only at the tip of the ice berg when it comes to welding. Mainly, be HUMBLE, not a braggart. Try to realize how much your don't know, and not center on the little you do know at this stage of your career. This is not to criticize your post, but I've seen many young men pass a test and then get shot down by thinking they know it all. Take your time and listen to the guys that have been doing this for many years. 
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-14-2007 14:56
Very well said Chuck.
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 05-15-2007 19:51
Yes, well said.
I remember a few years ago, a young'n came out on the job with new certs for 3G & 4G. After inspecting a couple of his overhead welds, I had to tell him that he could not weld overhead on my project. His flat and horizontal looked good. He took offense and said he was certified for overhead- I then asked him where he took the test. --- yep- in the shop. The test is given under controlled conditions and he thought he could weld from a lift 25 feet up, that swayed every time he moved.
This was 15 years ago-- he has since turned out to be a good welder.
Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 05-16-2007 00:23
Roger,
  Very good points...By the way, I bass fish in tourneys on Lake Fork here in Texas..I hope this young man does not take constructive criticism as a negative, but as a positive way to further his career. You are so right about taking a test in controlled environments, but when the welding is done in adverse conditions, some are lost. Ability is very important, but a Prof. in one of my welding classes had a sign above his door that said that, "Welding is 10% ability and 90% desire".This is so true. I wish this young man all the luck in the world, but personally, I think he needs to change his attitude to be able to achieve what is required to be a very good welder. Your points were well taken. Thank you...

Chuck 
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 05-03-2007 02:14
remember to wear your respirator when your inside those ships even if the old timers don't. don't let the labourers steal your extension cords, and most important always pay attention to the guys who do the best work and you will go far. later
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-03-2007 09:09
Taylor, my comment wasn't meant to imply you were dumb, obviously you are not, only that there is so very much to learn about our trade,  I will be the very first one to tell you, after 33 years of "nearly" continuously learning things about the welding field, the one thing I realize is how little I know in proportion to how much there is to know, lol! ;-)  Hang in there, and never lose the passion of learning.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-03-2007 10:35 Edited 05-03-2007 14:28
Congratulations. The skill you have now can develop into a lifelong passion. It is by no means easy work but it does make me feel like I have a special skill.

Learn something from EVERYONE. Work hard. And keep us posted.

Gerald
Parent - - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 05-03-2007 11:13
Work Safe, Work Smart, and Don't forget to Learn to be a Good Fitter Also.....
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-12-2007 19:51
Congrats man...first of many certs I bet.  Keeping your eyes and ears open is the best advice....Those freebies you can pick up from others are much better than figuring them out on your own...at least they cost less.

Good luck
Parent - By BamaDave (**) Date 05-13-2007 17:32
Congratulations for sure!  Just remember that new cert and $5 will get you a happy meal at Mackey Dees.  The reality of your situation is all about how you move forward from here.

Good luck!
Parent - By pat31 (*) Date 05-16-2007 00:35
congratulations on the test!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / I PASSED!