Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 1141 resulferized steel
- - By Ronalb (*) Date 02-26-2002 14:59
I need any info on welding 1141 steel. I suspect that the preheat should be about 300 degrees F and that I should use a LH rod. The tensils range between 94 and 115 KSI. I also know that I should use small rods with a low amperage to minimize penetration. Any other help on rod classification or other info will be appreciated.
thanks
Ronald Bergeron
Parent - By JINX (*) Date 02-27-2002 18:56
Ron, sulfur increases the machinability of steels, but reduces transverse ductility, impact toughness, and weldability. Sulfur in any appreciable amount promotes hot shortness in welding, and the tendency increases with increased sulfur. During welding sulfur segregates into layers which forms iron sulfide. This condition can cause cracks in the fusion line. If your weldment is a new fabrication, I would recommend changing base metal to one with lower sulfur, and with less tendency to cracking.
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 02-28-2002 19:50
I must agree that you are saddling a difficult horse to ride here. Not only is the S a problem, but it is being aggrevated by the fact that you have a rather high C content as well. This combination is bound to give you cracking problems.

If however you have a good reason to want to weld this, then I would recommend you try the following: (I have not welded this steel myself, so the following would be an experiment on your part.)

1) Try to tie up the S by using a filler with a high Mn content. Mn tends to form MnS inclusions that are relatively harmless. Alternatively, you could use a filler with some Cr present. The Cr has a similar effect.
2) Due to the high C content, you will have to also use a relatively high pre-heat. (Possibly around 350°C) This pre-heat will however tend to result in greater dilution which will again aggrevate the S problem.

Remember that even if you managed to prevent the weld metal from cracking, you will still have a hot-short problem in your HAZ.

Let us know what your progress is.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-01-2002 00:06
RB,
Why not obtain the mill test reports (MTR's), determine CE using one of the CE formulas, determine how much preheat per inch or centimeter of material thickness? (Take into account the second paragraph of my post). Works for me everytime, and gets approved always (so far...).

Selection of the electrode should be based on criteria other than the base metal composition. Will (is) your weldment be subject to specific design criteria such as mechanical properties (toughness, hardness, ductility, wear, abrasion, etc.) cyclic loading (stress reversal, corrosion, or other service-related requirements), etc.? Undermatching tensile strengths may be permissible. Too many variables without more info on your end.

Similar/recent post about these subjects by JW. Some valid opinions by others.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 1141 resulferized steel