Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ICC Certification
- - By welderwv (*) Date 05-29-2007 11:39
The way I read it I can use my CWI to get the ICC Structural Welding Special Inspection license by taking the Structural Steel & Bolting Special Inspector exam.  If I were to take that exam what I-codes would I need to purchase and study?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-29-2007 15:18
the cwi has nothing to do with the icc special inspector cert. for the icc you will need icc, aisc, aws d1.1, d1.3, d1.4. and i'm not sure but aws d1.8 might be in there too. all open book
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-29-2007 15:39
Go to the ICC website. Google it. They will tell you what materials are needed (such as the Model Program for Special Inspection Book, and an IBC Edition-still 03 I believe) and will give you an outline of the test criteria. Also, the test has recently been split up. The bolting is no longer tested with the welding.
Parent - - By welderwv (*) Date 05-29-2007 18:48
OK maybe I am reading it wrong but this is what the ICC website says in their ICC Certification Transition Form for Structural Steel & Bolting Special Inspector (S1) and Structural Welding Special Inspector (S2) form:

Structural Welding Special Inspector - One of the following

A. N/A for me

B. N/A for me

C. Current AWS CWI or CAWI Certification without a current ICC 85 Certification qualifies for transition to the Structural Welding Special Inspector (S2) by passing the Structural Steel and Bolting Special Inspector examination (S1) and then including/submitting copy of AWS Certification.

Maybe I am missing something!
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-29-2007 21:01
my mistake
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 05-29-2007 20:02
If you have CWI, why would you want ICC?
In 1990, I took the ICBO test- passed, and never renewed. The only thing that I can see getting ICC is the bolting.
When I went to renew my Los Angeles County welding inspector card (for the 3rd time), they said I had to take/pass the ICC test. I told them to keep their cert, didn't want to work L.A. anyway.

Roger
AWS-CWI (1985)
ICC- Building Inspector (2000)
ICC- Concrete Inspector (1992)
ICC- Masonry Inspector (1992)
IAPMO- Plumbing Inspector (2000)
Past  Level II NDE- RT, UT, PT, MT
Parent - - By 1316 (**) Date 05-29-2007 22:44
[deleted]
Parent - - By welderwv (*) Date 05-29-2007 23:18
Man thanks a lot!!!  I think I will pursue this.  I want to get all of the qualifications that I can to better myself.  Agains Thanks.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 06-08-2007 02:33
you don't have to take bolting , and welding separately , you can still take the one,,,,structural steel/welding special inspector exam,,,,,go to the web site,,,,get the toll free number and tell them you want the "one" exam,,,,,they'll tell you that you'll find it in the "legacy"   (like he said , whats that...?),,,,,,,anyway,,,trust me , you can still do the old one , they'll tell you what the other separate ones are for.....my buddy just went through the same thing,,,,,he's in L.A.,,,,did it all in march.......

and if "I" were you,,,,I'd get that one under your belt also,,,,,,there's a whole bunch of things in there that your CWI don't cover.......
some inspectors have them and never use them,,,,and others can't work without them.......
its only $200.00 and the "both" of them together look real good together.......
and like UCSB said,,,,,places like L.A. have a hold on things as far as their cert goes,,,,,you have to posses the ICC cert , just to take their test.......but f you want to work the city, you need their licence also......

good luck........
Parent - By JA (**) Date 06-08-2007 03:02
you need......
, International Building Code either 2000 and up........
LRFD 3rd ed....or the AISC manual.........I'd go LRFD  , it has everything,,,,,its a great book to have , that's for sure...
D1.1
D1.3
D1.4
your AWS A2.4 "symbols".......
Steel Joist Institute standard specifications for steel joists and joist girders...40th ed....
Steel Deck Institute manual no.30........
ASIC seismic provisions for structural buildings.......(there's not too much of this in there  , you could probably get away without it)

you need to get the work book , ICC has it ,its called "Structural Steel Inspection and Field Practices" its real easy to use,,it will pretty much cover everything you need to know.....i recommend it , as their the ones giving the test.....

and once again , good luck.....
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 09-29-2008 21:36
That seems like alot of study material for such and "easy" test. 
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-29-2008 22:14
all open book
Parent - - By 1316 (**) Date 09-29-2008 22:20
[deleted]
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 09-29-2008 22:44
I'm studying now for my CWI.  I have seen a few posts on ICC but I am still trying to figure it out.  I am kind of interested in API stuff. Tanks, pipelines and such. The structural and constructions stuff is pretty interesting too.  I have learned alot from this forum.  The more I learn the more questions that come up.  AWS, API, ICC, ASNT.  It is quite overwelming when you are not sure what you want to get into.  I am looking to maximize my "worth" to a new career but it can be confusing on which road to travel.  Its great to have this forum with all the guys that have traveled the roads already and enlighten us newbies. Thanks!
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 09-30-2008 13:47
BryonLewis,
I have done both. I started out as a NDT guy then got into the API certs and traveled a lot. The money is a little better on the API/ASME side but you live out of motels. After several years I got into structural ICBO/ICC. The work is on the road or in town your choice. If you want to get bigger $$ then you will need to diversify into other special inspector categories like concrete, prestress, and a few others. I personally like metal and hate concrete so I never got into that too much. Currently I'm qc at a fab shop and very happy.
Parent - By henri (*) Date 06-16-2007 22:43
In addition to the invaluable advice offered by other forum members, I'd like to offer the following points:

1.  There are currently three separate ICC open book/plan reading exams that deal with structural steel/welding. Each exam is 3-1/2 hours duration and consists of 90 questions. 60 questions are open book and 30 questions are on plan reading. The exams are as follows:
(i)  Legacy Structural Steel and Welding Special Inspector (exam code 85) This exam will be discontinued probably by the end of next year and replaced with the relatively new S1 and S2 exams http://www.iccsafe.org/certification/2007/pdf/2007_Legacy_Bulletin.pdf  see pdf page 20 of 40
(ii)  Structural Steel and Bolting Special Inspector (exam code S1)
(iii)  Structural Welding Special Inspector (exam code S2) http://www.iccsafe.org/certification/2007/pdf/2007Bulletin_CodeProfessionals.pdf  see pdf page 30 of 56 for S1 and S2 exams

2.  Although special inspection certification has been required for the inspection of steel framed buildings in western states for many years, in other parts of the country it is increasingly being required. And in many instances, it is required in addition to AWS CWI certification.

3.  If you are based in CA, it seems that the legacy exam (code 85) is the safe route to follow. Outside CA, S1 and S2 seem appropriate, since building code provisions are based on the IBC. Nonetheless, I am sure many small CA jurisdictions will not care whether a special inspector is certified based on the legacy exam or national exam.

4.  As mentioned by others, holders of CAWI and CWI only need to take the S1 exam. They can then obtain S2 status through the current transition process. This period may not last forever. http://www.iccsafe.org/certification/2007/pdf/S2_transition.pdf

5.  While the open book portion of the ICC exams is usually not too difficult for many folks, the plan reading portion has presented a serious challenge to many, including CWI holders. So make sure you bone up on the plan reading, and in the exam do not spend too much time on the 60 open book questions, certainly no more than 1-1/2 hours.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ICC Certification