Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Joint Design
- - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-29-2007 20:58
I am at wit's end and my head hurts.

In the service I had MIL-STD-22D, Welded Joint Design.  Can anyone point out the commercial industry equivalent?  Is there such a thing?  I wouldn't mind using the 22D as a reference if I must.  Thanks in advance!

Curt
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-29-2007 22:16
Hey Bozak

I don't have an answer for you but I did do a quick search and found the entire doccument online in PDF, apparently for free, along with all revisions and validating docs.

nice

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/basic_profile.cfm?ident_number=35349
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 05-29-2007 23:27
Bozak-
If you look at AWS D1.1, the prequalified section has a lot of joint configurations that are similar to Mil-Std-22.  Are you looking for something specific? Mil-Std-22 is still an active document and hasn't changed since you were in the service.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-30-2007 01:20
Thanks Lawrence, I use assist all the time at work and at home...I have about 6 different copies of the 22D! 

The prequalified section in D1.1 has the configurations, but not the specific allowances: root opening, root gap, root face, groove angle, backing strip/ring thickness, and so on.  I think I'm just going to go ahead and adopt the 22 into my QMS.  The only other reference I have is a very old Lockheed martin spec that has about 1/2 the info I really need.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-30-2007 01:57
There are no specifications for Joint Designs only. D1.1 is the closest thing however . The tolerances are in chapter 3 and chapter 5 for fabrication tolerances. If you are not working with any other codes or specifications, I would go with 22-D
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-30-2007 10:32
Thank you guys for your input.

Since most of what we do is MILSPEC work anyway, I made a decision to adopt the 22D into my QMS...I'll write it up today and it'll be official before lunch!

Tahnks again for the input.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-30-2007 22:10
Done.  Applicable section of the QA manual now references MIL-STD-22D for all joint designs and configurations, and the appropriate D spec for tolerances.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Joint Design