Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GTAW
- - By rebel74 (*) Date 05-30-2007 13:17 Edited 05-30-2007 13:38
In our shop we use the Maxstar 250 Tig machines. My question is when you use the lift arc to start does it leave any tungston behind in the base metal?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-30-2007 13:59
Hello rebel74, if you can go by the advertised information stating how this process works, the answer should be no. I have not, however, done any sort of testing to verify this, maybe there are others out there who have and could answer more specifically. My $.02 worth. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By rebel74 (*) Date 05-30-2007 20:15
Well I just made 2 welds using that method and it works. there was no sign of tungsten anywhere.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-30-2007 21:45
Hello Woody, likely the only time you might notice tungsten issues with this method might be in an ultra-high purity environment where everything was being x-rayed and analyzed to the enth degree. Miller has some fairly indepth information on their website which discusses the mechanics of the lift-arc process and how it actually works, I would venture to say that similar information is available through Lincoln, Thermal Arc, Esab, and other manufacturers with this type of arc starting capability. Regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GTAW