Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MM 250 prob.
- - By Crittr63 Date 06-01-2007 12:38
Good Morning

I have a MM 250 that has welded very well for the last 10 years and all of the sudden stopped, took it in and they told me the circuit board was out well 500.00 later it was fixed, it lasted about a month and did the same thing again, when i bought this welder it had about a 10 foot extenion cord attached to it and the repair shop said that was causing the board to go out, but what i dont understand is it worked great for 10 years with this cord on it. Any ideas?

Thanks
Crittr
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-02-2007 02:48
I doubt the cord has anything to do with it, but I would check the line voltage to be sure it is within spec. What does this board do? For $500 it had better do everything from brush My teeth in the morning to tuck Me in bed at night. I wouldn't think that machine is really all that complicated inside.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-02-2007 06:42
Speaking in general- some component controlled by the board or feeding the board is overloading the board and causing it to fail.  Could be an out of spec power supply, bad sensor, bad but not quite dead motor...  Just replacing the board at this point will only transfer funds from you to the maker.  Check whatever fuses may be there, if you find one larger than called for that is a clue where the excess draw is.  Good luck.

The board is likely to be repairable.

Bill
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-02-2007 16:26
There are places that repair the boards in these MM250 welding machines a hole lot cheaper than buying a new one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MM 250 prob.