Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Safety Presentation...
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-30-2007 15:49 Edited 05-30-2007 18:16
Trying to put togther a quick Safety presentation to introduce new hires into our shop. Looking for suggestions, this is a "work in progress", so all suggestions are welcome.

Well, I think it exceeded the upload restrictions.....sorry.
I compressed it down to 1.7megs, but still too big.

Try this...
http://www.mediafire.com/?2gngxcmljih
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 05-30-2007 16:38
Very interesting a forum community consensus safety presentation could be good for all of us. The next concern is liability- it would need some sort of disclaimer, right?  If you can get it posted I'll share what I have. Here's a start.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-30-2007 17:31
Good pics...they each convey alot of info in one picture.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-30-2007 18:16
bump.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-30-2007 18:24
Cutting steel with short sleeves?
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-02-2007 07:10
Somebody showed me an Italian coin once, back when there were still Lira.  It depicted Vulcan forging steel, naked.  That first lick when the slag comes off and flies all over the place must have caused an interesting reaction.
Bill
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-03-2007 04:19
The leather apron was invented immediatly. How is that for an "interesting reaction"?
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 06-04-2007 15:56
Vulcan was a *very* tough hombre.

Hg
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-11-2007 20:25
Fran,
Yeah, I realized that they were in short sleeves "after" you pointed that out...oh well, might have to find a few more subjects to take pics of who are wearing sleeves.

I remember two accidents here at the shop involving someone getting burned pretty badly, one guy was cutting with the torch and had worn out gloves with holes in one of the fingers, as he cut he was guiding the torch with that hand and somehow got the torch caught in that hole in his glove and really burned his fore finger. The other guy was heat straightening some beams after welding, he heated several spots on one beam, turned around and was heating a few spots on the next beam over and backed his buttocks into the beam where he had just heated. it was hot enough that it burned through his work pants and his underwear and got a spot on his cheek pretty good. He was more embarrassed than anything.....especially when the nurse had him bend over the table to apply the burn cream to his butt....LOL
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 06-17-2007 02:42
John,

As an inspector...I just look too much.

Great presentation though!
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-06-2007 06:31
that reminds me of something that happened to an apprentice in our shop recently, he was watching someone weld over the welders shoulder and when done they both flipped thier hoods up and welder raised his arm with gun in hand, touched the lips of the apprentice with the nozzle, he wore blisters on both lips for over a week, you can imagine the jokes that went around.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-11-2007 22:36
You have a nurse at your place?

Al
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 06-01-2007 16:36 Edited 06-01-2007 16:39
Great presentation!

Here's some generic stuff that people might find useful:
http://www.toolboxtalks.com/
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 06-16-2007 19:00
On one of the jobs I was on recently ,the big concern was the safety of new or I guess you could say young hires. They are a constant source of entertainment on the job site and at times need alot of looking after in hopes that they might make it through the first few years unhurt. there are countless examples of near misses do to their lack of experience and just as many accidents. It would be nice to see a section in relationship to safety on this site for old and new alike, to pass on experience and reminders for the older hands who forget. We have so few new entries into the trade as is, it would be great to help them get through the first few years with all their body parts intacked.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-06-2007 13:15
I see the field people taking the inatave to help the younger or less experienced workers. What drive me jebbers is either the client's people or our company management come on the job and all they have on is a hard hat. Everyone walks around in double knits and polo shirts with Ray-Bans on. Oh I know, Dont let them on the site. That goes over like a fart in a diving bell. Management must always lead when it comes to safety.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 12-11-2007 21:44
Is the company willing to invest in a box of cheap safety glasses you can hand out to visitors?

The places I frequent, I would get thrown out in a minute if I didn't have proper PPE (but that doesn't necessarily include long sleeves for an observer).  I've even gotten lectured about earplugs.

Hg
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Safety Presentation...