Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Maxstar 175
- - By gshuma (**) Date 06-04-2007 15:34
Has anyone out there used these? Are they problematic or are they pretty reliable?
I could do some light gage SS tig work if I had a machine. Problem is..I don't have much power in my shop. I do have 240 3 phase. There is a Maxstar for sale for 500 bucks and I can buy a transformer to get me 480v for another 50 bucks.
I tried a Lincoln 300/300 but even at low settings the parasitic load was so high I didn't have enough power.
Thanks guys
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-04-2007 16:28
I have used the 150st and the 200 Maxstar machines with no problems.  I'd buy one.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 06-05-2007 01:41
I agree with Curt, I have used the 150 often and it does fine. However, it works only as good as the power feeding it. I have used it on job sites that had poor temporary power and it wouldn't even weld. Used it on jobs w/good power and it works great. Also have to stop the guys from using it too much. They are not intended for heavy duty use.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-05-2007 04:05
How much amperage per leg do You have available?
Parent - - By gshuma (**) Date 06-05-2007 12:20
I have 20 amps per leg and I've checked under load. I have a lathe that draws 18 amps and when it's running I still have 244 volts.
I have a little part time shop in a corner of an old industrial building. I am the only one on my circuit but the main panel is almost a block away so it doesn't pay me to upgrade the power for what I'm doing now.
I've been sending out the big jobs but sometimes I need a little dab or I have to grind off a bracket to move it. I now crank up a gasoline welder and stick it but sometimes that doesn't look good enough.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-05-2007 13:06
What do you electrical guys think about an inverter power supply as a long term solution without electrical upgrades?

They cost a bit more but can operate much more efficiently with a much lower initial current draw.

Am I wrong to think an inverter like Dynasty could weld all day long in his current situation?
Parent - - By gshuma (**) Date 06-05-2007 14:57
I hope this thread gets comments because I am an electrical guy. I work with inverter motor controls all the time but have little knowledge and no experience with inverter welders.
I do know that you don't get something for nothing so it will always take a certain amount of power to melt the base metal.
Lets hear it guys
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-05-2007 15:14 Edited 06-05-2007 15:19
Hello gshuma, I would tend to agree with Lawrence as far as the choice of an inverter welder over a conventional/traditional type machine. I believe there is a term referred to as power factor that governs the efficiency of electrical products, the inverters have an almost zero loss of efficiency in their power ratings, thus you'll get more "bang for the buck" as far as power in and power out. From what you're describing as your general welding needs, a machine in the 200 amp range would probably do nicely for you and would have a minimal amp draw, particularly if you are supplying it with 3 phase power in the 208 to 230 volt range. Just my $.02 Regards, aevald  P.S. Take a look at the specs on a Miller Maxstar 200DX for instance, at 175 amp output being supplied with 230 volt, 3 phase power, the machine draws 10.5 amps on the input power
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-06-2007 02:37
aevald is on the money with this. Inverters are much more efficient due to design, and by using all 3 phases You can reduce the amperage draw relative to output even more. This is a best case comparison because a transformer drooper like the Lincoln 300/300 or a Miller ABP 330 is about the least efficient type of power supply in terms of amps in to amps out. The only really good thing about the old transformers is that they are owner servicable, about like a '60s car. The Maxstar 200DX looks good for Your situation.
Parent - By gshuma (**) Date 06-06-2007 13:56
Thanks guys
I knew there was a power factor or efficiency difference but it's greater than I thought.
I went on the Miller website and looked up a 200 amp 3phase transformer machine (Ramrod 200). It draws 40 amps at 200 amps out.
The Maxstar 175 draws 24 amps (calculated) at 175 amps out. It also draws a lot less at idle.
Those big ole transformers require a lot of excitation power.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Maxstar 175