Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / HTP Invertig
- - By Ken377LX (*) Date 03-04-2002 20:42
I am looking at a smaller home Tig machine that can do some aluminum and stainless work on automotive projects. I have researched the Miller and Lincoln offerings here, but then i came across an AC/DC inverter machine by HTP on the internet. Is this a decent company? Is the machine worth a darn? The light weight and features of their Invertig 200 seem awesome on paper. I have no idea what the machine costs, but it is attractive. The lack of info on the machine seems to tell me to run far away because service and parts will be tough to get if I need it. But the features look so good.

Any advice on this matter?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-04-2002 21:46
Ken,

Compare that machine to the Miller "Dynasty"

The Dynasty specs out about the same, with features such as variable AC frequency and 99% balence control. Also the Dynasty is light weight with a small footprint.

I have been running Dynastys (Fixed and Mobile) on Aircraft componants of every imaginable alloy, including some fairly beefy aluminum and magnesium castings for the last 4 years and have been pleased with performance so far.

What kind of price are you being quoted for the HTP?

Lawrence
Parent - - By airweld (**) Date 03-05-2002 02:36
$2295. including foot pedal , torch, and regulator, FOB Chicago, is what I was quoted. Extra $500. for water cooler, cart, and torch. My main problem is that it is 230V only, while the Lincoln V205-T, with very similar specs is 115 or 230V. (but only goes up to 150 hz frequency, and the HTP goes to 200 hz. And the HTP weighs twice as much.)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-05-2002 14:56
That extra 50 Hz. What exactly do you think you need it for?

As nice as that flexibility may be, the truth is that unless your working with terribly thin fillets, variable frequency is simply not required. Come to think of it, I cant even use the word required, because the fact is that x-ray quality work was and will continue to be accomplished without this stuff

The more valid concern is price, dependability and accessibility of parts if things go wrong.

Now that price ($2295) is way below what Miller is asking for the Dynasty and that makes the thing attractive.

That Lincoln "Invertec" you mention, (List Price: $2848) I haven't run one yet but it sounds awesome. That 50 Hz. You miss with this machine is a fair trade off for the flexibility your gonna get and the warranty looks good too.

Its really exciting to see some competition in the light weight, small footprint AC Tig units
Parent - By aircraft (**) Date 03-07-2002 05:01
My company just bought a Lincoln invertec and brought it with them on our last certification test the other day. It had a air cooled torch and I used it on my test. I was very impressed with the pulse, AC shaping and balance conrtol.

I normaly use a syncrowave 250DX or a old 300. I would have to say the performance on .010 SS was way cool. I got to get me one of these for the home.
Parent - By CHUB380 (*) Date 11-19-2002 21:58
Hi Lawrence, I was pretty certain I was buying a Dynasty 300dx after the new year; but now I am wandering about this HTP machine. I realize I would be giving up 100amps in the exchange and just wandered if you had any imput. I thought you would be a good person to talk to because of using the Dynasty so much. I dont mind paying the extra if its worth it. I am not sure if I will need the extra output of the dynasty ,but I dont want to find out after I buy the HTP. I know I for sure need more output than my syncrowave180,so perhaps the Dynasty would still be better for me. The Dynasty dx tigrunner with torch $5059 The HTP setup with watercooled torch and cooler $2700. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks CHUB380 Ps. Any one else with info on this subjuct feel free to reply
Parent - - By Ken377LX (*) Date 03-25-2002 02:54
Well, I bought the HTP invertig 200.

The price was very good for what I got I think. I don't know, Maybe I got a special deal cause I was asking for it, and was trying to shop it compared to the $1500 and under Miller and Lincoln Transformer Tigs. But, according to more than one source, you can't really compare the inverter machines to the transformer machines. They are just apples and oranges. So I was willing to pay a bit more money for an inverter machine. I'll mention the price here though it sounds like I got a better than average deal. Not sure if it is HTPs standard price or not, so be warned. I got everything mentioned in the above post: air-cooled torch, foot pedal, regulator, ground clamp, and the power supply for $1900. I had them strip it down to get me in a price range I could afford, and they did happily. Shipping to a local truck depot was $65. I'll worry about water cooling, and a stick holder for SMAW later if I feel the need. It came equipped pretty much the same as the Miller 180SD or Lincoln SW175. Though the max power rating and duty cycles alone make this a much better machine than either of those two. Add to that the flexibility of the adjustable AC freq, and wave balance, and 70lb weight, it was tough to turn down. Hopefully HTP will be around and stand behind there product for years to come.

The service was fantastic. You have to deal directly with HTP as they don't seem to have any outside dealers. I would not have bought if not for the fact that they answered all my questions over a couple weeks time and instilled some confidence in my purchase. They were very honest about the welder being from an Italian background, a company called Stel pioneered these machines and this unit is very similar. It came with the Stel manual in fact. 3 year warranty, like the big red and blue brands also. I think they made alot of changes to make the machine their own though. They do all the sales, support and service from their USA facility. So it is really an American welder as much as any other brand I would say. They all have some parts made overseas.

I can't say much about the performance yet. I have been welding with it for a day or two, but I am not good enough or experienced with other machines to give a comparison. My welds look like turds compared to the MIG welds I am used to laying down. I'm looking forward to improving my technique and really putting the machine to the test in the coming months. I'll be poking around here on this BBS now and then for advice I am sure, so feel free to ask any questions about the machine if you like.

regards,
Ken
Parent - By AV8R Date 11-15-2002 03:04
Ken, you've had the HTP for a while now...how do you like it? I'm on the fence between the new Miller 180SD and the HTP Invertig 200.

Thanks
Parent - By CHUB380 (*) Date 11-17-2002 00:26
Hi Ken I am really interested in your new purchase. Please keep us posted on how its going. I used to have a syncrowave 180 and sold it after 6years I am now looking at the Miller Dynasty. I know the Dynasty has a little more output which I like for doing thicker peices/castheads ect. But for the differance in price I am not sure now. I no others on here have said they used Dynastys and liked them,have you talked to anyone who has used the htp? The guy at htp told me also that the machine is made in Italy just as is the lincoln205 ac/dc [not same company] Any help comparing these two models would be greatly appreciated. I can get setup with the htp with watercooled torch and cooler for $2600 Vs Millers $5059 dollar cost for the Dynasty. I am a miller guy, most of my machines are miller and I love them but there is no use spending so much more if I dont really need it. These are the advantages that I think the dynasty has over the htp correct me If I am wrong. Higher output 300 amps 40% duty @ 250 amps, broader freq control 20-250 and some other things that dont concern me as much. As for the man who is comparing the syncrowave to the htp I dont think there is any thing to compare. The htp has it beat hands down.Thanks CHUB380
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / HTP Invertig