Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Flag tags for Consumable (bare) Fillers
- - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-05-2007 14:26
I have a requirement to have my bare filler wire flag tagged with the type and specification.  I do realize that I can buy filler like this, and my purchasing people are looking into that.  However, I have quite a bit of material that I would like to use.  So my question:

Has anyone seen or heard of a good, durable system for creating flag tags for fillers that is available commercially?

Thanks in advance!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-05-2007 14:42
Hello bozaktwo1, If you can't find anything specifically listed under welding type companies for this purpose you might want to look at Office Max or Office Depot and see about getting one of their label makers, they do have some that will print out labels in black lettering on a sticky back type tape that you could probably wrap around the end of your filler wires. Just a thought. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-05-2007 15:35
Seems like a lot of trouble to tag em yourself when all you really have to do is purchase them already with either tagging, mechanical stamping, or laser imprinting on them (there's no real need to look into it-just order them as such). The practice is quite common, and will certainly be cheaper than doing it yourself.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-05-2007 16:42
Yeah, but I already have so much material that I don't want to toss out, just because it's missing tags. 

I thought about using our label maker, I'm not sure those labels are very durable...I'll have to try it and see!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-05-2007 17:01
Might be easier, instead of tagging, to maybe set up a color code system for those you already have in inventory and paint the ends of the electrodes. I've done this quite successfully in other plants. This way you can also identify the material from a distance, which is the primary reason we used it. We would even match the wire to specific feeder spools for GMAW and FCAW, and use the same colors on pipe, so that the inspector could tell from a distance if the proper filler was being used. Then all your welders have to do is clip the ends.
If your inventory is extensive it would still only take a few minutes to identify everything. You could use the old AISI color code system or some such comparable.
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 06-05-2007 17:45
We have to tag rods here ocassionally and I haven't been successful in finding any commercial system that is economical and successful.

We have on occasion used the Avery paper tags, and they will work OK - not great, but good enough for shop applications anyway.

Our other choice has been plastic coated tape (single side adhesive) with the type/spec preprinted on it at 1" intervals.  We have some ancient doo-hickey (which....by my own admission means it is OLD) that holds the roll and acts kind of like an upside down scotch tape dispenser.  Trying to describe how it works is like trying to describe a spiral staircase without using the word spiral or using your hands to demonstrate it.  Even that is still a PITA to use.

If it is stainless or low alloy, it can be embossed.  Unfortunately the alloys we sell (cobalt and nickel) don't work with embossing.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-06-2007 06:49
I have to use tagged rods and labeled cans....if its large job (lot of rods)  I suggest just buying the tagged ones and passing the cost on to the customer.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-06-2007 16:30
This is a customer's spec we're trying to comply to.  Aerospace.  We build GSE only, but they insist on qualifying to their aircraft fusion welding spec.

Thank you, gentlemen.  I think I am going to try out little brother labelmaker.  Then I'm going to order a bunch of preflagged wire.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-06-2007 16:47
Many wires come already with either mechanical stamping or laser imprinting, or some such equivelent. I'd try those first if available. That way your welders don't have to clip the ends. Unless you figure burning the paper in doesn't hurt.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-07-2007 04:24
It depends how many different things you have to identify-

If it's only a few color coding with colored tape or colored labels may be enough.

If it's a lot you could computer print a label that you then fold over the end of the wire, this opens the possibility of adding things like manufacturer or heat if you need to.

If you talk to a label salesman you will find you can also spec the glue from "peels right off" to "don't even bother trying to get this off"

Bill
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-07-2007 07:13
bozaktwo1

Is it aws d.17.1  ?    thats actually part of FFA regs....FFA requires all raw material to be identified at ALL steps of the process.  I.E.  you cut a sheet of t6 and make some parts...if that raw material is laying around by your shear or on a table or whatever...it better have what material it is and a mill lot number wrote on it.  So that has a bit to do with flagging the welding rods...

for instance....you have a welder working at a table with a variety of gmaw fillers in stands on his table...how easy is it to grab say a .035 347 filler instead of a .035 4130 filler....pretty easy...how easy would it be to put in a weld and not tell the difference?>?   pretty easy.

Thats what the reg is all about.... filler rods in an aircraft shop are flagged on one end.   On our aluminum we cant get flagged rods it seems so we identify the holders and the rods are stamped...even tho its obvious to tell the difference and that seems to appease  the FAA.

I would hate to think of somebody cutting up some 2024 and using it where some 6061 should be used in a gusset on a fuselage structure
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-07-2007 17:09
Actually it's LMAC process specs.  I can't go into it any deeper than that here, suffice to say that the requirement is to "flag-tag each individual filler wire with AMS specification and material type."  The wire we presently have in stock is stamped with material type and size.  Therefore, I am not compliant with the Lockheed spec. 

I have already figured that I am going to segregate my stock into two lots; LM and non-LM.  If you guys only knew the headaches we have dealing with that company, holy moly. 
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-07-2007 19:55
I have a client that is a major aerospace player that uses a paint striping system to identify their GTAW filler metals. Essentially, their system uses four different colored paint bands around one end of the filler metal. The end with the paint bands is the stub end to prevent contaminating the weld puddle.

This system requires a chart with the colors to decypher the color code, but the major advantage is that there are no little flags to fall off. Trust me, they will fall off.

Most specification require a system for maintaining the filler metal classification, be it impression stamping, etching, flag tags, or paint striping. The method isn't usually as important as it is to maintain the integrity of the filler metal identification. The bands of colored paint is about as positive a means as there is when the wire is too small to impression stamp.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-08-2007 16:54
Thanks Al.  I actually believe I can interpret the process spec as allowing the stamps that are already on the filler, but there's also a pre-approved source issue with these folks.  It's really amazing...all we do is GSE, not airframe work.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Flag tags for Consumable (bare) Fillers