Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Some advice please......
- - By Oldstyle Date 06-03-2007 10:05
This summer I'm going back to school and becoming a welder.  I have the choice between a 7 month trade school or using the GI bill at a community college which would take about 18 months.  Pretty much I have no direction here.  I've heard everything from pipefitting is the way to go, to skipping school and becoming an apprentice is best, to getting in the union is near impossible but it's the only way to make money.  And I have no idea what the job market is like.  I'll be in the Chicago area, and any input you guys have would help me a lot.  Thanks
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 06-03-2007 15:15
Right now the UA (pipe trades) union is actively seeking interested people. They have a large workload coming and an aging workforce.
They will gladly talk to you.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 06-03-2007 17:42
Local 1 ironworkers..........
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 06-04-2007 12:22
If you know how to weld getting into a pipefitters union will be a bit easier.  Trying to get in with no skills or as a 1st year apprentice good luck.  If you can pipe weld you may even get brought into the UA as a 3rd year apprentice maybe even 4th year if your pretty good.  If your a real good welder meaning you can pipe weld all processes you may even get brought on working with a permit making journeymen scale for a bit and if they like ya you'll get your card.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-05-2007 15:52
If you can weld pipe, it says a lot about your diversity. If I were you I would try pipe.

A bunch of us guys are average joes making very good money in the oil patch. I never finished High school, but fell into a trance the first time I saw that pretty blue arc light. Last year we cleared 180,000 - nuff said
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 06-06-2007 14:07
I am a rig welder an hour south of Boston. I am not signatory to any Union, but will sub for Union contractors that need a weldor on the fly. I have done jobs for Local 7 Ironworkers, Local 12 Plumbers(Getting my book soon), carpenters, and many others. I want to be signatory with Local 12, because they are part of the UA. If you can weld pipe, you have a good shot at being in. It is alot different up here than say out in 798 land, no real big pipeline jobs to speak of. Mostly in plant, and process piping. Basicaly, learn how to weld and you will never starve.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Some advice please......