Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Grinding old aluminum welds
- - By Bgrayson Date 06-07-2007 20:10
My buddy and I are doing some work on an aluminum boat.
We have about a dozen aluminum benches that are welded to the deck that we plan on rearranging We'd like to save a little $$ by grindiing up the old welds ourselves.
Is this something the "average Joe" should attempt? And what are the best tools and methods?
Thanks
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 06-07-2007 20:15
Check out this thread for some tips.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=11877#fp
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-08-2007 18:18
Are they welded to a deck? Flat surface on top of the structure...or are they attached to the hull itself?  

As long as what your removing is welded to a deck surface only....you can grind the welds down and bust them loose.  You will more than likely end up with some holes in the deck that need to be welded or patched.   If this stuff is attached to the ribs or hull of the boat then you will need a gtaw (tig) welder and somone who can use it well.  Most of any interior structure is welded down using mig but you will want to Tig any spot repairs.  Any damage to the ribs or hull will have to be reparied properly or you will likely have cracks start to form and problems later on.  Aluminum boats flex quite a bit during use so holes or tears in the wrong places tend to grow.   I built these things for about 5 years so if you have any other questions I will try to help.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Grinding old aluminum welds