Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / '55 sa200
- - By tompit9 (***) Date 06-10-2007 01:32
well, this is it guys. I got the motor running good, I have upgraded to an elect. idler and have it hooked up the way it says and even called the company I bought it from to make sure its the way i should hook it up. even installed a new rheostat. now, I get small sparks and no idle up. when turned thee rheostat up it seamed to bog the engine down and not idle up. WHAT COULD THIS MEAN. what is the proper hook up on the rheostat (center pin and low pin or center pin and high pin) my guess is center and high. but why is the unit bogging down when I turn the rheostat up. how about the shunts could these be bad, how do I check them?
any answer would be great thanks tommy
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-10-2007 04:00
If You operate the throttle by hand does the engine respond quickley, or will it bog down then too? If the carb is too lean a sudden opening of the throttle will nearly kill the engine. Check this before diving into the electrical end.
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 06-10-2007 10:20
it responds quikly like it should. all is good on the engine side.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-11-2007 03:12
It sounds to Me like something on the output side of the generator is shorted. I don't know anything specific to these machines, You might find a wiring diagram on the Lincoln website.
Parent - By Molten Metal (**) Date 06-12-2007 02:25
Go to "weldmart online" on the web and click on the old lincoln welder and then go to their rheostat icon and it shows the correct wiring hookup.
Parent - - By Crittr63 Date 06-13-2007 17:55
How long has the machine sat without being used
Parent - By tompit9 (***) Date 06-14-2007 01:08
about three years
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / '55 sa200