Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Overseas welding and inspecting jobs (big money jobs)
- - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 06-13-2007 16:11
Does anyone have any good leads on companies or web sites to gain some info on big money overseas jobs or USA that I always hear about but can never quite get all the info. I currently have the Industerial tradesman but there are better poaying jobs out there. Thanks.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-13-2007 23:32
These types of jobs are filled by networking. Seldom will you ever see one of these jobs advertised. I have been working as a 3rd part inspector for over 20 years. I have never been hired for a job from a want ad. They come from somebody you know who knows somebody that knows somebody hiring. You have to plug yourself into these networks.
Good luck as the plugging in comes with taking ,um, unglamorous jobs to develop the relationships and friendships that will help you.
BABRT's
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 06-16-2007 16:15 Edited 06-18-2007 05:00
I would have to agree that networking is the only sure way to get those off-shore jobs. Having been around the world three times on someone elses dime I have to say that they are not always as high paying as one would hope but the character and the experience one builds has been worth every mile. Having been there done that so to speak ,though I have come to relise that life is damm fine right here in my own back yard. The travel I do now ,normally involves a rum in one hand bear in the other.
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 06-13-2007 23:58
They're hiring in Antarctica! :-)
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-14-2007 09:27
www.roadtechs.com, www.ndtcabin.com

I was hired from an ad in roadtechs to work in south korea and it was the best paying job I've had to date. 
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 06-14-2007 11:58 Edited 06-14-2007 12:05
There are a few websites that do advertize:
www.expatsdirect.com   www.worldwideworker.com   www.oilandgasjobsearch.com   www.inspectorsonline.co.uk  www.ndt.org  www.ndt.net   just to name a few.

It depends on your background. I know they are screaming for people in the Middle East especially Saudi Arabia. There is so much work they can't staff the jobs.

Do you have any NDT background? In fact they are desperate for welding inspectors in Saudi, Qatar, Khazakstan and Angola. Do you have an offshore survival ticket?
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 06-14-2007 13:45
I'm AWS CWI Level II UT,PT,MT,and VT. also a certified pipe welder for 16 years. Just wanting to go hit the big job for alittle bit. I do have an inside on a job in Russia that pays prettywell.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 06-14-2007 22:04
I know Veco and ASRC are doing some work in Russia. I talked to some of the welders after they came back, they said the camp situation was pretty rugged.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 06-18-2007 05:05
Do you know what part of Russia they were working in and what the pay was like . I've never been into russia for some reason it was a place you went around. just curious.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 06-19-2007 00:20
they are working on Sakhalin Island. Big time oil field push going on there.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_20/b3984008.htm
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-19-2007 01:30
The world is watching Venezuela and the nationalization of their oil and gas industry. Given the current state of things, I wouldn't put it past Moscow to up and do the same thing on the island.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-16-2007 19:55
As a suggestion, if your going to work as an expat, get your contract and pay in GBP or Euros. For instance, 50,000 GBP = 73,804 Euros = 98,813 U.S. dollars.
The british pound tends to be the more stable currency with the Euro moving along. If you take it in U.S. build in a 10 percent fluctuation factor when your negotiating salary per year. I've known a lot of expats screw that one up and end up getting screwed.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 06-14-2007 12:00
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-14-2007 14:36
rigzone is excellent too, forgot about that one!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Overseas welding and inspecting jobs (big money jobs)