Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How did one write a WPS before computers??
- - By eekpod (****) Date 06-13-2007 18:13
I'm here at work and I'm writing a prequalified WPS for some SMAW and FCAW welding.  I jump over to Lincoln's website and print out all the parameters I need to plug into my form's. 

This got me thinking, how was this done 20-30 years ago before we had computers and all this information at our fingertips??

Or maybe the question should be how long have pre-qualified WPS's been around?

Any and all stories would be welcome,  thanks in advance, Chris
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 06-13-2007 20:07
The earliest code I have is the 1980 D1.1.  They weren't really referred to as WPS at that time.  The code just made a statement that joint welding procedures that conform in all respects to the pertinent provisions of Section 2, Design of Welded Connections; Section 3 Workmanship; Section 4, Technique; Section 8, New Buildings; Section 9, Design of New Bridges; or Section 10, Design of New Tubular Structures shall be deemed prequalified and are exempt from tests or qualifcations.  There were forms in an appendix that could be duplicated for documentation.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How did one write a WPS before computers??