Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Really quiet welding machines you would actually own?????
- - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 06-17-2007 16:02
I am looking to solicit input from others whom have had the need to use? own? operate? really quiet welding engine driven welding equipment.  In the area where I predominately work a new ordinance was passed required  noise from construction sites to not exceed 80db.  This is measured with a meter at the property line.  Unfortunately my welding truck is usually parked at the property line on the street.  So guess what is now too loud.  My welding machine!  Now until such time that all jobsites have 50 amp 220V power that some carpenter is not plugged into so I can use Powcons or the like, I will continue the need for engine drive.  I am currently running a Ranger 250 (too loud) on my truck as it welds well for my needs and is versatile.  I will be switching over  to full time use of  my Lincoln Ranger 300 DLX which is plenty quiet enough to keep everyone happy.  I am looking for another one just lioke it for a back up unit to the one that I own and as of yet I am not successful getting one to me.  I was wondering if anyone else has experience with other machines that are very good equipment and are very quiet in operation.  I have used Multiquip welders in the past on hospital remodels but they did not seem to weld all that well.  We are talking 80db here measured at the back of the truck.  So really quiet is now the deal.
Your thoughts, comments, experiences of quiet machines that are both CC/CV as this is a minimum requirement.  OH Yeh!  Some really good grinders in the 4 1/2 inch and 7 inch variety that are really quiet will be the next hunt item so any thoughts here will be helpful.  This whole exercise should promise to be entertaining.  I have told all my clients that my truck labor rate will go up by 33% when this ordinance goes into effect next month.  No one has complained about this at all.  They seem to be glad that we can still keep building.
Thanks!!!
XPERTFAB
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 06-17-2007 20:00
whisperweld?
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 06-17-2007 20:04
xpertfab,
I currently run a miller big40 desiel. It may be a little big for your likeing but it only produces 75db standing next to it. I have a deluxe model and it overs all the bells and whistles cc/cv. I find it to be an excellent piece of gear. Laods of power and good on fuel with 4 cyl cat . 20ft away you can hardly tell it's running. As far as grinders are concerned ther all quit untill you use them.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-17-2007 22:55
Hello XPERTFAB, I believe you will find that the larger engine drive welders will probably be the quieter ones as they generally run at around 1700 rpms or so. I would definitely agree with the machine that makeithot is running, they are a great piece of equipment and will weld just about anything you could imagine. Another consideration you might look at would include a good generator or welder/generator such as the Multiquip Whisperweld and then an inverter power source that could be run off of the generator portion of that machine, a spendy combination but great capabilities. Or if you're looking to cut the initial cost a bit, lease or rent a generator and go ahead and use the inverter welder that suits you. A bit more food for thought. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 06-18-2007 02:17
A guy that use to weld with us said the Whisperweld welded great and was quiet also. I've never used it.
I have a Trailblazer Pro 350 AC/DC CC/CV Kubota Diesel that runs in low idle up to 180 amps. It is a great machine. Great on fuel if being used in low idle. Welds aluminum well w/hi freq box. Does very well on moments. 300 amps 100% duty cycle. 350 amps at 40% duty.    12000 watt generator. Aux power does not affect arc while welding.
Very quite in low idle...however it is not quiet in high idle. I'm not sure of the decibles. Website probably has that info. Does not run power tools at 100% in low idle,but still runs enough for most applications.

Welds good too.
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 06-19-2007 00:22
I have used a wisperweld machine before. stick welding they were great very quit, but the machines we had if you had to TIG was an ear piercing whistle extremely load no matter how far away.
Parent - - By reddoggoose (**) Date 06-20-2007 17:13
If you are looking for an engine drive they don't come any quieter than a Miller Pro 300 only 71dba at full output. Not to mention they are an excellent machine. I have a Pipepro 304 that I use for equipment repair and when it reaches the end of the road, I'll pick up a pro 300. They have adjustable dig settings, tig capablities and have the best wire welding ability of any engine drive I have ever used.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 06-21-2007 01:31
I was looking at those myself but went with the big40 deluxe so I'd have good power for gauging . The pro 300 would have been my second choice though.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-21-2007 17:01
The classic 3 is exceptionally quiet for a big machine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Really quiet welding machines you would actually own?????