Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / High temp. SS question...
- - By C. Milligan Date 03-06-2002 01:55
Greetings,

I am looking for advice on selecting a stainless steel alloy with better resistance to flaking and corrosion at high temperature. The application is in the food industry, specifically on a "grill-marking" apparatus. We are experiencing a significant amount of flaking that is subsequently being introduced to the product. The grill-marker is comprised of sixty laser-cut 0.131" (10ga.) T304 rings spaced about 0.625" apart and is heated directly by a natural gas burner. At this point, I don't know what temp. the rings are at; however, I will say that the T304 material stays in the medium orange colour, similar to D2 LC sparks from a bench grinder (Please excuse the colour description, but the "Tempsticks" are on back-order.) In addition, this elevated temperature is maintained for twelve hours at a time. Finally, weldability, preferably GTAW, is a concern since the ring spacers must be securely joined to the ring.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
C. Milligan
Parent - By debj0124 Date 03-06-2002 06:14
Consider the use of grade 310 stainless steel. Suggested maximum service temperatures of 310 is 1900°F compared to 1600°F for 304 in intermitted hot air service. An increase in chromium content increases scaling resistance.

Regards
Joe
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-06-2002 15:43
I don't have a list of thier materials or applications handy, but call Rolled Alloys (Temperence Michigan) 800-521-0332. They specialize in high temp stainless.
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 03-06-2002 18:00
The failure mode you are describing as "flaking" does not sound like a high temperature failure mechanism. If the stainless steel is merely being heated to a high temperature and held there, there will obviously be metallurgical changes that take place. In addition, depending on the temperature, there can be surface oxidation. If there is an uneven heating of the material, there can be thermal fatigue as well. In a thin material this is however unlikely unless you have some kind of a quenching effect. This high temperature exposure does however, to my knowledge, not result in "flaking".

I therefore have to come to the conclusion that the "flaking" is not necessarily a high temperature effect, but possibly corrosion taking place. It is not uncommon to find "pieces" of a sensitized S/Steel comming off that is experiencing intergranular corrosion. This may resemble "flaking".

If you merely go for another 300 series S/Steel that is succeptible to intergranular corrosion, I believe you will have the same failure taking place. To therefore find the correct material, we have to find out what the real exposure is that the component is seeing. Here we need:

1) Temperature that the material reaches. (To see if it is in the sensitization range. - From your description, I believe it would be in the sensitization range, but potentially it could be above this range.)
2) The corrodents that comes into contact with the component both at high temperatures and at low temperatures. (Salt?, Organic acids?, Cleaning fluids? etc.)

I suspect that we may be able to help if we know the above.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By C. Milligan Date 03-08-2002 13:32
Niekie:

Thanks to everyone for their input thus far. At this time the temp. of the rings is still unknown; however, we will be answering this soon (I would estimate a min. of 1200F. but this IS an estimate only and not very benefical.) The rings are indeed exposed directly to cooked poultry(a good source of amino acids). They roll continuously over a glazed product. The glaze contains: salt, sugar and starches. Would this cause the quenching effect you described? In addition, the entire assembly, shaft and rings, catches an occasional spray of sanatizer (mild chlorine and H2 O). This is highly undesirable as it usually distorts/warps the machined shaft into something resembling a bananna.
Also of interest is the information that the engineers at Rolled Alloys in Michigan supplied. They suggested their product "RA309" and offered that it could withstand 2000F. We are still in the information gathering phase; however, once complete I would like to work up two or more prototype "Charmarker" assemblys and compare the results.
I hope this helps, and we will have an accurate temp. reading taken soon.

Thanks again,
C. Milligan
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 03-08-2002 22:37
The more I hear, the more I am convinced that you have an intergranular corrosion problem. The corrosion will not be taking place at the high temperatures, because at those temperatures you have no electrolyte present. The corrosion will be taking place at lower temperatures.

This problem will not necessarily be solved by a material that can handle higher temperatures. - Rather by an alloy that will resist the corrosion effects.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By C. Milligan Date 03-14-2002 14:59
Niekie;

My apologies for the delay on the temperature reading. As suspected, the rings are operating at nearly 1275 deg.F. I hope this is of assistance.
In addition, you suggested that another "300 series" alloy may not address the issue at hand. I am not very farmiliar with alloy selection and would be open to any suggestions. I appreciate all the generous help thus far!

Thanks,
Chris
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 03-14-2002 17:47
The sensitizing temperature range for Austenitic stainless steels is 840°F - 1560°F. (450 - 850°C) As you can see, your operating range is slap bang in the middle of this range. Even if you are using an L grade of 304 stainless steel, extended periods at this temperature will result in sensitization. As a result, your S/Steel will have extremely low corrosion resistance and will result in serious intergranular corrosion. Often the material appears to "exfoliate" due to thin slithers of material comming off the surface.

As a first option, I would try either a 321 or 347 grade of S/Steel. These are very simmilar to 304, only they are stabilized to prevent the sensitization from occurring. Grade 321 is stabilized with Titanium while grade 347 is stabilized with Niobium. Usually 321 is cheaper, however I have found that 347 gives slightly better stress corrosion cracking (SCC) resistance. (Although I can not actually tell you why.) SCC may also be a problem for you during times when the material is not very hot. (140 - 570°F - The top temperature is an estimate on my behalf, based on my understanding of your application.)

I must say that your application is actually quite hard, and as a result, the 321 or 347 grades may not remain unsensitized indefinately. It should however give you a huge increase in life.

Let us know of your progress.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / High temp. SS question...