Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM A53 PIPING SPECIFICATION
- - By mark hughes Date 03-14-2002 16:10
Which standard/specification must be used for straightness tolerances of piping supplied to ASTM A53. The supplier has stated that the only tolerance, is that the pipe should be reasonably straight. In ASTM A 53 specification there is no section on tolerances. So what should the tolerances be?
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 03-14-2002 17:06
The supplier is correct, Section 14.6 states: "The finished pipe shall be reasonably straight." The intent of this requirement is to encourage the buyer and supplier to set standards before purchase. Having said that, as a buyer you have the ultimate say in what you will accept. Charles Hall
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-14-2002 17:12
Of course the supplier has the say in what the buyer's ultimate say is going to cost. :)
CHGuilford
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 03-15-2002 09:16
Check your purchase order for references.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-15-2002 20:05
"Reasonable straight" means "straight to the eye". When I was a "just out of school" engineer, I worked for one year in a seamless pipe mill. After each pice of pipe was rolled, calibrated and machined on the ends, and before visual inspection, hydro test and painting, it was straightened in a special machine until it was, as I said, straight to the eye.
A word of caution to Mr. Hall: as a buyer, you've got the ultimate saying PROVIDED you've cleared up in the in the purchase order what degree of straightness you require, as NDT III wisely advices.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-15-2002 20:48
Reasonable: "Not extreme or excessive"

Purchasing agents should provide acceptable criteria to supplyers.

Most Manufacturing companys have there own written standards to provide to the vendors when taking bids.

In short if you do not, then you are buying a "Pig-in a-Poke"
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM A53 PIPING SPECIFICATION