Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Flux composition
- - By dalipmengi Date 07-01-2007 09:17
To manufacture general purpose, all position, medium coated, rutile based, mild steel E6013 welding electrode what should be the ideal composition of various ingredients like rutile, ilmenite, china clay, feldspar, LC ferro manganese, Cellulose, Starch, iron powder, TiO2 Pigment, Calcite, Quartz and potash mica. The binder used is Potassium silicate.
What books one should read to acquire this knowledge?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-02-2007 00:40
Seems to me thats something manufactures spend lots of money in R&D on.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-02-2007 02:30
What CWI555 is saying is that when a manufacturer has this figured out they consider it propritory information and don't publish it. While trying to find some other information I stumbled upon a company Eurekaelectrodes.com that is a raw materials and manufacturing equiptment supplier for welding electrodes. They might be able to help You.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-02-2007 14:43
I don't think you will find an 'ideal' composition. That isn't really how it works. Flux development is an extremely empirical operation. The number of variables and chemical reactions is staggering. It is ruled by non linear equations, meaning very slight changes can yield vast changes in results. A butterfly's wing and a hurricane.
It all starts with your raw materials. From there you will start putting it together and then actually making welds, testing and refining. Its a lot of work and takes a lot of time. This is part of the reason those who have done this work are so protective of their compositions. And if you vary your raw materials you will need to vary your compositions. However, if you wish to proceed undaunted I recommend as a starting point Clarence Jackson's 'Fluxes and Slags in Welding' available from the WRC (December 1973-#190). Still one of the best authorities on this aspect of the industry.
TWI has some good stuff too.
Parent - - By dalipmengi Date 07-02-2007 18:54
thankyou.
there are two bulletins available with the same heading No 190 and 191. now which one should i purchase.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-02-2007 19:58
191 is 'Suggested Arc Welding Procedures for Steels Meeting Standard Specifications. So 190 is the one you want.
Parent - - By dalipmengi Date 07-03-2007 21:24
Thanks
have purchased that, will reach me in 4days. Also what i should refer to test electrodes. So that i can get the complete knowledge.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-11-2007 18:01
Sorry for the delay in repsonse. I've been on the road. I think I need to rephrase the question if you would please. I'm not sure what you mean.
Parent - - By dalipmengi Date 07-12-2007 09:48
sorry for being late. Once an electrode is ready how to test it like its elongation, carbon sulphur in the welding, tensile strength etc
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 07-12-2007 11:12
The AWS filler metal specification includes - or references - all of the test methods required for a given classification of electrode.  Things like all weld metal tensile tests (to get tensile/yield strength, elongation) and charpy v-notch tests (to test impact properties) and chemical analysis pads (used for determining the composition of the deposited metal) are all there.

As someone who works for an electrode manufacturer, I can tell you that it is probably more difficult to develop acceptable weldability (arc transfer, slag removal, operator appeal) than it is to hit a chemistry.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-12-2007 13:35
dalipmengi,
I've never worked for a filler metal manufacturer as Phil, but I think his words should be well heeded. I would venture to guess that there is probably nothing more difficult in this industry than developing a working coated electrode from scratch (perhaps a SAW flux or FCAW electrode, but these are versions of the same problems). This is not to necessarily dissuade you from trying, because a part of me is envious of the opportunity to try. It would be fascinating. The effort is admirable. But I suspect it is likely to turn out to be a marathon for you.
Parent - - By Prasanta Date 09-10-2019 15:09
I want Flux composition.. Chemical percentage in Flux.????
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-10-2019 19:37
That information is probably proprietary and closely guarded by the manufacturer.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Flux composition