Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / excalibur rod
- - By elliott (**) Date 07-05-2007 20:51
how it going guy. Hope everybodyhad a good 4th of july. Does anybody know where you can buy 10# cans of excalibur  rod cant find it any where aroynd only in 50# box thanks again. I even tried the net and nobody seems to sell it.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-05-2007 21:00
I've never had a problem buying from my local welding supplier.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By elliott (**) Date 07-05-2007 22:26
Usally they have it in 50 pound cans but I dont need that much only the 10#cans would do.The place I have called said only 50# cans
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 07-06-2007 01:19
If your local supplier cant get it to you in 10# cans Id look somewhere else. Try weldingsupply.com
Parent - - By reddoggoose (**) Date 07-06-2007 02:34
I know that my local Airgas store has it in 10# cans, or can at least order it. If you have a local Airgas give them a try.
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 07-10-2007 02:34
Just went through a can of Excalibur. (3/16 7018 )  Worst stuff I've ever seen. Arc blow and spatter that couldn't be believed.

Although a long time fan of Lincoln consumables, and have previously had good results with Excalibur, I went back to the shop standard Hobart 418.

In my experience, Lincoln makes some great consumables, but consistency can sometimes be a problem.

FWIW

Brande
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-10-2007 12:09
Brande,
Try the 1/4" 7018....LOL if you think the 3/16" wanders and spatters. We tried some 1/4" sample rods when we were looking to replace the larger sizes of 7028, but ended up adding a few small dia FCAW machines to the shop floor instead.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-11-2007 15:52
If you get a chance, get a ten pound bag of Euctectic rod. It is much better than the rest, in my opinion....
Parent - - By Sparkee (*) Date 07-10-2007 02:48
Hey elliott, I am not trying to turn you against Excalibur rods, but if you would try Techniwelds E7108 you would never pick up another Excalibur. The Techniweld rods come 60# per box, in individual 10# plastic sleeves. Most welding supplies that carry them will bust a 60# box, so you can buy them 10# at a time.....they are not worried, they know they will sell them. The Techniwelds are more forgiving when it comes to heat settings that the Excaliburs, they dont blow bubbles and jump arc near as bad.....and the slag will just about fall off. I use these in 1/8 and 5/32 to install wellheads and never even touch a chipping hammer. All it takes is dragging the end of a rod along the weld and the slag just falls off......this is followed by wire wheel after the full wrap is completed. Price wise, the 60# of Techniwelds will be close to the same as the 50# of Excaliburs.
    Just my two cents worth,
          Sparkee
Parent - - By Sparkee (*) Date 07-10-2007 02:50
Whoops, that was supposed to say E7018. Fingers too big for these little keys.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-10-2007 17:01 Edited 07-11-2007 14:44
I had to do open root butt welds with no back gouge on 3/8" plate in the overhead position for welding competitions with 7018 rods and excaliber was the best rod i used.  I used 7018's from all over the world and found nothing that ran a root in easier then the excaliber.  I was using a 3/32" rod though on A/C polarity witch would make for different characteristics then what your haveing.  I did find that some rods had the flux pressed on unevenly witch would cause my arc to wander and stick to one side or the other and wouldn't run a root in werth a darn even on A/C polarity.  I'm not particular to any particular company, but for that application the excaliber was the Cadilac of all rods!!!  Every rod will run good or bad in different applications.  One of the rods i had probs with on the open root overhead plate couldn't run any better for putting a slick cap on a pipe or plate, but it just wouldn't run an open root pass.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-11-2007 14:34
I've had excellent results using Lincoln's Excalibur electrode.

I'm not sure about running it with AC, in my experience, DCEP works best. I usually run 1/8 and 5/32 diameter electrodes because most of my work is out of position and I'm trying to limit the size of the HAZ when welding machine bases comprised of steel castings. I prefer the higher manganese content to counter the sulfur and the "H4" low hydrogen to minimize the amount of hydrogen introduced into the weld puddle. I typically use the higher end of the amperage range and maintain as short an arc as practical.

Most of the problems I've seen with diffiulties running the Excalibur electrodes has been using too low an amperage or trying to weld with a long arc and whipping the arc as you would with E6010. Whipping the arc doesn't work.

I do like the Hobart 418 as well, but I typiclly limit it to "new" steels" that have lower sulfur and low carbon.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / excalibur rod