Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How to protect piece from FCAW splatter?
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 03-19-2002 06:13
Hi:

I'm still working on the metal end-table project..<g>. I'm using a light duty flux-cored arc welder. The splatter around the weld areas is really making this difficult. (It needs to look decent, it's going to be an end-table in the living room, metal frame with ceramic top!) I'm needing to do lots of grinding afterwards to get rid all of the splatter.

What can I cover the areas around the weld with to prevent the splatter from sticking? Some leather material? Is there any sort of brush on compound or something that I can use? Any suggestions appreciated...

Best regards,
Dave
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-19-2002 07:17
Damp paper towels or rags work ok.

Bill
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 03-19-2002 11:49
Dave, there are anti-spatter gels and sprays readily available at all welding supply stores. They are made for that exact purpose. Also while you are at the supply store, talk to someone about the wire and your welder set up. (or post information here) Just yesterday I had a company meeting with all of my welders, the topic was spatter. If you are consistantly getting excessive spatter, your welder set up or your technique is probably not what it should be.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shemans Welding
Parent - By autoweld (*) Date 03-19-2002 12:14
Dave I am not sure what you mean by light duty mig. If it is a 110 volt mig with gasless fluxcore wire it is typical to get a fine splatter around the weld. If the thickness of the material permit go to a gas shielded fluxcore or a solid wire with the right paramiters fot the thickness being welded. The cleaner you get the base matal the less splatter you will get. Mill scale can cause excessive splatter and use and argon based shielding gas.

Regards

Bob
Parent - By pipeliner1 (*) Date 07-16-2002 05:17

Spray some WD-40 ON IT ,the SPATTER ,willnot stick then !!!before ya weld it....
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How to protect piece from FCAW splatter?