Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cracks due to too low temperature welding..
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By beginner Date 07-17-2007 18:23
I'm an engineer who knows almost nothing about welding and now trying to learn about it.  I was told by another engineer that if the welding temperature is too low it may create cracks at the welded area.  This makes sense.  But he also mentioned that when the structure with such inappropriate welding temperature is loaded (even with small load), the crack can be generated at the base metal too.  Is this possible?  How the crack can also occur in the base metal too?  Or the low temperature welding introduce some additional stress to the structures?  Can one please explain this to me?

Thanks a bunch in advance for answering this simple question!!

Real beginner.
Parent - - By prasad (*) Date 07-17-2007 18:35
Why dont you specify the chemical composition of the base metal you have been trying to weld. There are lots of grades of steel available  for low temp applications as you can see in previous post on this forum.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-17-2007 18:53
I am assuming you are talking about preheat being too low. In whch case the advice given to you might generally be correct. But prasad is correct, you need to provide us with more specific information and we can provide more specific help, and determine if in your case there is need for concern.
Parent - By beginner Date 07-17-2007 22:09
Thank you for all of your help.  I appreciate that.

To answer the question from prasad and js55, the base metal for my case is ASTM A572 (Gr50) steel.  The issue came up when the people who did the welding used much lower preheating temperature than what was specified in the welding procedure.  Before knowing this mistake, we did some load test on the structure which is a frame and found several major cracks across the longitudinal weld.  I'm trying to figure it out if the cracks were caused by the welding problem or by high stresses that I haven't been aware of. 

Real beginner.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-17-2007 19:10
Hello beginner, a couple of basics might help you to understand the low-temperature cracking or possibly other types of cracks that can show up in welded and even some non-welded situations. Each given material will have a rate of expansion and contraction for a given temperature change. If you have a base material that you are welding that has a rate of expansion that has a differential that is too great compared to the expansion/contraction rate of the welding electrode that is used to weld it, the weld or the parent metal or the zone where the weld and parent metal meet can have a possibility of cracking. Electrode selection needs to be correct for a given weld scenario as this can have a definite effect on things. In some cases preheating, maintaining welding interpass temperatures(this is a process where the temperature of the welding joint is monitored to be sure that additional preheating or possibly cooling is provided to stay withing a certain range as the welding is taking place, not all welding requires this), and postheating may be required to help minimize the stresses that can build up in a weldment and cause cracking due to shrinkage stresses from the welding process. Cracks are the result of stresses that are present in a welding situation, examples of stress-relieving types of processes to help reduce these stresses would include, peening, vibratory stress relieving, cryogenic conditioning, heat-treating, and probably a list of others.
     Restraining a welding joint will increase the stresses that can build up in a weldment, at times this is necessary and may require stress relieving as a result of this requirement. An unrestrained joint will exhibit less stresses usually, but it can also cause issues of deformation of the finished part that make it unusable or requires mechanical or other types of straightening methods before it can be used. Over-welding parts can introduce additional stresses that are detrimental to a weldment, so attention should be taken to weld requirements so that parts will be fit for service but not have additional, wasted weld metal.
    Some materials are very ductile at certain temperatures, but this ductility changes as the temperature drops, this could lead to cracking issues as your friend tried to explain to you. Take a tennis ball for instance, at room temperature it is very elastic and bounces very well. Take that same tennis ball and dip it into liquid nitrogen, now try to bounce it on the floor, it will shatter like glass. To some degree metals can exhibit similar traits to the tennis ball, although probably not quite that radical. You will likely receive far more scientifically correct responses, I hope my explanation has helped a bit. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-17-2007 19:24
In addition, a crack that originates in a weld, for whatever reason, may propagate into the base metal and continue to grow at an un-determinable rate over time which is accelerated by cyclic stresses. This will continue until the part either breaks completely away (catastrophic failure) or is dismantled or repaired.
Therefore, no welding code will accept cracks and detailed welding and heat treatment procedures are developed to negate the possibility of crack formation.

Tim
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-17-2007 20:20
a little off topic, but i think that api 1104 allows cracks
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-17-2007 21:57
Actually, D1.2 Structural Welding Code/Aluminum allowed crater cracks in intermittent fillet welds provided the crater crack was beyond the required weld length of the weld segment.

Best regard - Al
Parent - - By beginner Date 07-17-2007 22:08 Edited 07-17-2007 23:07
Thank you for all of your help.  I appreciate that.

To answer the question from prasad and js55, the base metal for my case is ASTM A572 (Gr50) steel.  The issue came up when the people who did the welding used much lower preheating temperature than what was specified in the welding procedure.  Before knowing this mistake, we did some load test on the structure which is a frame and found several major cracks across the longitudinal weld.  I'm trying to figure it out if the cracks were caused by the welding problem or by high stresses that I haven't been aware of in my FEA calculations. 

Real beginner.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-17-2007 22:38
It sounds like you're describing transverse cracks (across the longitudinal direction)which is typical of hydrogen induced cracking (HIC). What was the preheat they used and what is the material thickness?
572 50 unless really thick should be reasonably forgiving with HIC.
The cracks often appear straight as well being transgranular.
Parent - - By beginner Date 07-17-2007 23:10
Based on what I was told, the welding person thought that the specified temperature was in Fahrenheit instead of Celcius.  I don't know how this mistake could happen but it does.  The ASTM 572 50 steel has the thickness of 1 inch.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 07-18-2007 13:46
A572-50 has a preheat of 50f at 1". the lack of correct preheat as the problem does not seem correct
Parent - - By prasad (*) Date 07-18-2007 14:28 Edited 07-18-2007 14:35
HSLA steel A572 Grade 50 has a yield strength of 50 ksi. As per  ASM No preheating above 70F (20 C ) is required for plate thickness upto 1 1/2 inch(38mm) and yield strength upto 50 ksi  when low hydrogen electrodes are used. If conventional electrodes are used the preheat is 150F.This is assuming the temperature of the base metal is at least 20 to 40 degrees  centigrade.  Good practise would require warming the surfaces of the work to drive off moisture especially in humid atmospheres.

Following completion  of a low or medium alloy weld it is generally necessary to heat treat the weld to prevent crack formation.This is done by relieving stresses and by softening the weld metal and weld heat affected zones employing a stress relief or post weld treatment.The temperature for heat treatment and length of time at temperature depends largely on composition of the weld and base metals and section thickness. The preheat temperature and number of passes also affect postweld heating practise. 
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-19-2007 01:46
Run it hot enough that if you sneeze you go right through to the other side.............
Parent - - By prasad (*) Date 07-19-2007 05:22
Another issue is selection of filler metal which is of major importance when welding alloy steel. It becomes more critical as hardenability increases.
carbon content of the filler metal should never be higher than that of the base metal because it would  unnecessarily increase susceptibility to cracking. Therefore the carbon content of the filler metal generally is lower than that of the base metal. A suffeciently close match of strength between base metal and weld metal can usually be achieved when the carbon content is no more than half that of the base metal. Use Low hydrogen electrodes as the danger of underbead and toe cracking is far greater when you use coventional electrodes.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-24-2007 01:13
Read much..........?
Parent - By prasad (*) Date 07-24-2007 22:29
sneeze and go thru the other side . Wish I could complete all my welds this way.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-25-2007 00:00
Prassad
"Good practise would require warming the surfaces of the work to drive off moisture especially in humid atmospheres."
I hope you are not referring to burning the moisture out of the pores in the metal with an oxy-fuel flame!  Please tell us you are not saying that?!?!?!
Parent - - By prasad (*) Date 07-25-2007 00:03 Edited 07-25-2007 00:33
Joe ,

How do you warm up , pre heat or post heat  carbon steels at your workshop ? I do it with oxy fuel burners . At least the smaller jobs .

And by the way The information I have mentioned   "Good practise would require warming the surfaces of the work to drive off moisture especially in humid atmospheres."

is from American Society of Metals ( ASM ) hope you are not going to challenge that . In case you do I can email you the details . I am very surprised with you ?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-25-2007 13:32
Yeah, I gotta admit, I dont see what was wrong with prasad's statement either. Seems pretty basic and sound to me. Oxy fuel flames are used in thousands of shops every day to not only slow down cooling rates but evolve hydrogen out of the steel.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 07-26-2007 22:24
What ASM publication are you referring to?

Hg
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-26-2007 18:41
I am refering to the removal of moisture from the metal.  Do you believe that you are burning the moisture out of the pores in the metal?  I am not refering to the removal of standing water on a piece of metal.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-26-2007 20:59
Are you talking about the hydrogen in the oxy fuel mixture or what?
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-26-2007 22:01
Maybe this will be clearer.

Do you believe that there are pores in metal that you can burn moisture out of by preheating with a torch?  Do you believe that the water you see on a piece when you are preheating it with an oxygen fuel torch is the result of moisture being forced out of the metal?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-26-2007 23:08
Isn't it? :)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-27-2007 02:41
That moisture You see is the water from the fuel gas combustion condensing on the cold metal, same as the water dripping out of the tailpipe when You start a car or truck. The water comes from the flame, not the steel.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-27-2007 13:28
What I'm not clear on just yet is who exactly is doing the casting, who exactly is doing the reeling, and who exactly is going to be feeling the twinge of the hook on this issue. There seems to be some fish swimming about here, but they're really smart fish so the jury is still out.
Parent - By prasad (*) Date 07-27-2007 14:14
Hgtx,

The information is from  Metallurgy of Joining and Welding , Arc welding Low and Medium Alloy steels edited by Howard E Boyer / Philip D Harvey  pg 16.

Joe,

I have no reason to disbelieve the info given as above .I believe its basic info as mentioned by js55 and am not going to argue on this . If I am not mistaken ASM conducts training in the above mentioned subject at their Materials Engineering Institute using the same Book.

If you want you can write to them giving the above reference and challenge whats written there at www.asminternational.org
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-27-2007 18:24
Just trying to reel in the big uns!

Al
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-27-2007 20:56 Edited 07-27-2007 20:59
Gents, Suffice to say Steel does not absorb moisture. When you preheat, the moisture you see on the surface is from the surrounding air.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 07-27-2007 23:53
and the moon is made of cheese:)
"This was my in reply, with a couple of grammar corrections, to a similar question that was asked in a different thread.

Hello Joe;

I read the other post where they were discussing "where does the water come from?" Interesting, very interesting.

The water is a byproduct of combustion. Whenever you burn a hydrocarbon, you produce water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2). I don't care if you burn wood, natural gas, or acetylene; the end products include H2O and CO2. Sorry I can't make the numbers subscripts.

We did an experiment in Physics class once where we had to calculate the BTU (heat) content of natural gas. We placed a Bunsen burner in a dish and placed both under a boiler. We measured the flow of water and recorded the inlet temperature and the outlet temperature. We also measured the volume of gas being burned. Several of the students requested new boilers because their dishes were rapidly filling with water from their leaking boilers. The professor just laughed and turned to me; he called me "his little dummy welder", and said, "Tell all these smart people where the water is coming from."

They didn't believe all that water could possibly be coming from the combustion of the gas, but let me assure you, it did. 26 pounds of acetylene produces about 18 pounds of water that condenses on the cold surface during the combustion process. If you were to keep the base metal surface below the dew point, as we did with the boilers, you would not see the "wet spot" disappear. Think of the warm moisture laden air condensing on cold water pipes in the summer.

I don't know where you live, but here in New England,  on cold winter mornings water runs out of the exhaust pipe of our cars and trucks until the exhaust system heats up. Every gallon of gasoline produces about a gallon of water when completely combusted.

So, now you tell me, is it a good idea to use a propane fired gas range to store low hydrogen coated electrodes on a field site? What is the burning fuel producing? Are the electrodes exposed to the gases produced by combustion? What's the difference between steam and water?

I was preheating a heavy column in the field in early February many years ago. Once the column was heated, I turned the flame down low so that I didn't overheat the column, but did maintain the preheat temperature. By the time I had the column welded, I had an icicle hanging down in the web that was about three foot long. The foreman accused me of melting the snow off the roof some five stories above my head. No one said you had to be the smartest man on the job to be the foreman.

How many times have you been told to drive the moisture out of the steel before welding? I've heard it many times. Then, once the part is heated, the welders go on coffee break or off to lunch and then resume welding without reheating the part. After all, they already drove the moisture out of the steel. Meanwhile, I get my butt chewed for wasting gas and time trying to "stay warm" as I maintained the required preheat temperature. I never told the foremen they were idiots or dumb as rocks. I just collected the overtime repairing everyone's cracked welds. The wheelbarrows were full and heavy, but the bank never once refused the money.

As for the steel absorbing moisture; think about it, how thick is a beer can? If the steel (or aluminum) was porous we would not be able to buy beer in cans. The beer would leak out. If steel was porous, you would never get me into a submarine. The water molecule is rather large. The pores in the steel would have to be large enough to accommodate them. We wouldn't need screens for our windows, we could use quarter inch thick plate! Ok, ok, I'm getting carried away, but you get the idea."

the above quote was from the last thread on this topic from 803056,
sorry to steal your thunder with your own thunder Al but this topic really gets to me how so few people are willing to accept science and insist on their voodoo approach. it scares me further to think of other topics that are equally simple yet equally 'controversial'.
even with this above quote there will still be fish for all you fishermen out there.
darren
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-28-2007 02:13
Darren

I agree with you. I was amazed and dismayed at some of the answers during that last string!

I started out in this string, by asking Mr. Prassad; "I hope you are not referring to burning the moisture out of the pores in the metal with an oxy-fuel flame!  Please tell us you are not saying that?!?!?! "

I then clarified my question.
"Do you believe that there are pores in metal that you can burn moisture out of, by heating with a torch?  Do you believe that the water you see on a piece when you are preheating it with an oxygen fuel torch is the result of moisture being forced out of the metal?"

I still did not get a responsive answer.  Instead, I got a private message; "cant believe ......... I thought  you were a guru .... I dont think ur a qualified engineer"

Al Moores "Isn't it?"  is a private joke.  We were both at the Certification Committee meeting in Pittsburgh PA, when this string was running.  I introduced a motion that asked that a fourth examination be added to the CWI exam, consisting of the following three questions; Question #1 "Do you believe that there is moisture in the pores of steel, that you can burn out with an Oxy - fuel torch?"   Question #2 "Do you believe that there is moisture in the pores of steel, that you can burn out with an Oxy - fuel torch?"   Question #3 "Do you believe that there is moisture in the pores of steel, that you can burn out with an Oxy - fuel torch?"   If you get any one of these three questions wrong, you can never, never, never, never, never, never become a CWI.  Al Moore Seconded the motion.

However, I am sure that there is someone out there who can prove that there is some cast iron, or HIPed metal that has pores in it.  And - Of course there is always Ferromanureium and Unobtanium, which everyone knows is full of pores!

I am not an expert on STMs and SEMs, but I would also ask the STM operator how he managed to look at a molecule of water in the high TORR vacuum of an STM.  I also wonder how he managed to etch the hole in the 3MM Diameter target specimen. (However he is on the right track abouit the diameter of a water molecule versus the interstitial space dimensions in  A-36 Steel.!)

This belief that you are burning the moisture out of the metal is very disturbing.  What's next??????  I know!!!! - Flat Earth!!  Well, at least where all 385 pounds of me stands!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-28-2007 03:38
When I was a little kid [2nd grade] I had an interest in chemistry. My dad set up an electrolisis of water experiment using a battery charger. [This breaks down water into hydrogen and water for anybody not familiar with the process] I knew that if You mixed them together You didn't get water, but that the mixture was explosive explosive. In 7th grade I asked the science teacher how You get the hydrogen and oxygen to combine  into water. [never thought to ask Dad] The teacher's answer was "with a spark". DOH!
Parent - - By prasad (*) Date 07-28-2007 06:03 Edited 07-28-2007 06:49
Joe,

Pls tell me when in all my post did I say there are pores in metal . In  damp humid climates there is condensation of water . You dont have to be a rocket scientist at NASA to know this.

You are asking me this question ..........

Ok I will give a small example what i would give my daughter

Take a chilled beer doesnt matter whether its a can or glass bottle . In a place near the sea where the humidity is high what happens when you keep this chilled beer on your table . There is water condensing around it. where does this water come from. Is the can or glass porous Joe . Is it beer from inside the can/ bottle or ..... ? you can add this question to the CWI exam
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-28-2007 11:08
Prassad

Here is what you said that set my alarm off;

"HSLA steel A572 Grade 50 has a yield strength of 50 ksi. As per  ASM No preheating above 70F (20 C ) is required for plate thickness upto 1 1/2 inch(38mm) and yield strength upto 50 ksi  when low hydrogen electrodes are used. If conventional electrodes are used the preheat is 150F.This is assuming the temperature of the base metal is at least 20 to 40 degrees  centigrade.  Good practise would require warming the surfaces of the work to drive off moisture especially in humid atmospheres.

Following completion  of a low or medium alloy weld it is generally necessary to heat treat the weld to prevent crack formation.This is done by relieving stresses and by softening the weld metal and weld heat affected zones employing a stress relief or post weld treatment.The temperature for heat treatment and length of time at temperature depends largely on composition of the weld and base metals and section thickness. The preheat temperature and number of passes also affect postweld heating practise"

I wrote back and said;

"I hope you are not referring to burning the moisture out of the pores in the metal with an oxy-fuel flame!  Please tell us you are not saying that?!?!?! "

This question was misconstrued by subsequent readers, so I clarified the question.  I said; "I am refering to the removal of moisture from the metal.  Do you believe that you are burning the moisture out of the pores in the metal?  I am not refering to the removal of standing water on a piece of metal."

Again there was either confusion or obfuscation, so I again tried to clarify my position.  I asked; "Do you believe that there are pores in metal that you can burn moisture out of by preheating with a torch?  Do you believe that the water you see on a piece when you are preheating it with an oxygen fuel torch is the result of moisture being forced out of the metal?"

Now, You still have not answered my direct questions.  ARE YOU GOING TO ANSWER THOSE DIRECT QUESTIONS?????  DON'T GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE THAT YOU WOULD GIVE YOUR DAUGHTER.  EITHER ANSWER THE QUESTIONS DIRECTLY AND SUCCINCTLY  - - OR DON'T ANSWER IT.

FYI, I am not a GURU,  I am not an Engineer.  I am one of the few welders who doesn't say F---ing ot A---ole when I say the word Engineer.  I am one of the few welders who has respect for Engineers.  THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS, however.
Parent - - By prasad (*) Date 07-28-2007 13:24 Edited 07-28-2007 20:45
Joe,

For the last time . I am not trying to be a smart a.. . I told you so many times the information is from ASM the references are there if you have a problem you can contact them and resolve it .    
As for me I believe what they say and practise it . We always warm our plates in the morning before welding ( Dew formation ). And this has been done for donkeys years at our shop .
I gave the example of the chilled beer can because I feel it is simplest way to explain the phenomena of condensation because in this case you can actually see and feel the water which has formed from water vapour in the atmosphere .Thats how I teach my children trying to give examples which they can visualise . I did not mean to upset you or compare you to my 7 year old daughter . 

By the way  are you actually involved in CWI certification activity ...... You do not belive in pre heating / warming of plates in humid atmospheres , Why vaccum pack electrodes , pre heat electrodes for that matter . If there was no moisture in air there is no no need for any of this . I am surprised Joe . Who hired  you for  AWS committee work ? If this is the standard of people setting the AWS exam I will never renew my AWS membership.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 07-28-2007 22:41
maybe we should bring up fundamental creationism vs evolution to get some really entertaining responses. oops i guess i just did.
i think that prasad is unreachable but does provide a very good example for us to remember when dealing with the world. if an "educated" person is so argumentative and resistant to a provable and repeatable scientific truth then we must develop strategies to get around such obstacles to get the job done correctly. no disrespect intended prasad as it is a fundamental axiom of free speech that we have the right to be wrong.

i think that the question of where the water comes from is a great litmus test for applicants for any position within our industry and i will forthwith ask it of every person i deal with within the industry so as to gauge how to treat the other opinions they render.
darren
p.s. i can only imagine how frustrating it must be for qualified and intelligent engineers to have to try and get the truths of science actualized in manufacturing.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-29-2007 04:38
Not to change the topic, [but maybee We should] I think I recall reading that aluminum oxide is porous, and can trap moisture, another good reason to be sure it is all removed [before welding aluminum].
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-29-2007 03:07
Prassad

I don't believe you are in India.  I don't believe you are an Engineer, or that you have a child.  I think your obfuscating answers point to you being an incumbent politician in
Washington DC.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-29-2007 07:18
Hey Joe Bob......Nice....!
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 07-29-2007 19:24
i knew that where ever the pot was being stirred you would show up sourdough. real welder instincts attracted to the heat.
how is your court battle going?
darren
Parent - - By prasad (*) Date 07-29-2007 21:09
My dear friend Joe ,

Contact me on this number 0091 9820084001
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-30-2007 16:30
I am not sure what any one is trying to say in this string anymore but I would like to point out that when resistance heating pads are used to preheat work we have seen moisture form on the surface as the temp raises. I guesss it came from the plant where the electricty was generated. Unless it was nuke then what?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-30-2007 16:43
Copper wire is rich in pores. :>)
Parent - - By prasad (*) Date 07-30-2007 21:58
I want joe to speak to me
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-30-2007 23:27
You didn't answer my questions  Yes / or / No.   How do I know you are not telling me to call the Bollywood equivalent of a $100.00 a minute Sex talk line?  I asked specific questions, and asked you to answer them succintly.  If you do not want to answer the questions, which is your privelage, So Be It!

You have already made it quite clear what you think of me.  What could I possibly gain by calling you?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-31-2007 03:10
You would get one heck of a phone bill for one thing Joe.

Once again, I do believe the differences in culture and language are clouding the lines of communication.

Simple chemistry tells us that the combustion of a hydrocarbon produces CO2 and water and heat. The moisture condenses on the cold surface as water. It doesn't matter if the cold surface is glass, copper, or steel. If the surface temperature is below the dew point, moisture will form.

As for the electric resistance heater, I haven't seen moisture form on the surface during use. If my memory seves me correcly, I have seen moisture form on the surface of a bridge girder using gas fired radient heaters that were in intimate contact with the component being heated. Once again, I attributed it to the by-products of combustion.

In the case of aluminum hydrate, I believe you would have to do more than heat the surface of the aluminum to a typical preheat temperature to break the chemical bonds of the hydrate atoms. By the way, why are you preheating aluminum?

When I'm teaching class of welders, engineers, or inspectors, I always try to give practical demonstration. It isn't always possible, but it is fun when you can.

I would like to try "p's" beer can experiment with a sensitive scale to prove that the moisture on the outside surface of the "beer" can is from condensation of the moisture ladden air by detecting an increase in the weight. If the moisture was truely from the can's content, the weight would be unchanged until the outside moisture from the "leakage" evaporated. If I read "p's" response correctly, that is what he did, without the benefit of scale, when performing his magic trick for his daughter. 

If any one is "fishing" while dancing, I believe "p's" holding the pole while he's doing the jig and we're the fish. 

Thanks for reminding me of my college physics experiment.

Gotta go.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-31-2007 03:51
803056 If You were refering to My mention of aluminum oxide being porous, I made no mention of preheating aluminum, and never bothered too Myself, but I understand that it is aplicable on heavy sections at times. What I did say is "another good reason to be sure it is all removed [before welding aluminum]" refering to the oxide layer.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2007 02:39
Hello Dave;

You mentioned aluminum oxide, I mentioned aluminum hydrate as another potential surface contaminant. Call it free flow thought or what ever you want. I added the mention of preheating aluminum because I've heard other welders talk about removing moisture from the hydrate by preheating the aluminum member. I am simply stating that if hydrates are present, preheating isn't sufficient to break the chemical bonds.

I asked why are "you" preheating aluminum, the "you" being welders in general. The point being that heat treatable aluminum alloys are time at temperature sensitive, that is, they over age when held at elevated temperatures. This affects the mechanical properties in  bad way. 

Don't believe for a minute that I am "attacking" anyone or taking issue with a response or respondent that takes the time and effort to reply to a question. I may not always agree with the position taken, but I don't believe it serves a useful purpose to degradate the response. (OK, maybe  mild "jab" here and there) We all have our opinons that are the result of our experience, training, and readings. They may be right or wrong, but it's only through open discussion that we all learn. I am freely admitting that I may not always be right, but I offer my opinion for what it's worth. Since no one is paying for the advice given, I guess that is about what my advice is worth. 

Best regard - Al     
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cracks due to too low temperature welding..
1 2 Previous Next