Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / impossible cuts
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-05-2007 06:56
How 'bout this? toolpusher wanted me to blow a NEW bolt pattern for their B.O.P.

3" x  30" flange.

Blow acurate holes through a 3" with a torch.........

Stacks, racks, nipples, and cracks......I GOT YA COVERED!!!

Oh yeah, do it during nipple up, hanging in the air.........
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-06-2007 01:42
While hanging from the skid of a hovering helicopter, you can do it, we've got faith in you.
Bill
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-06-2007 02:17
Sounds like a job for a mag drill.
Parent - - By weldorguy (*) Date 07-06-2007 22:11
Sounds like a job for a mag drill. <----- agreed :D
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-09-2007 17:50
only 4 inches of flange.

I'm only making a point.........rig work sucks!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-10-2007 04:06
SD, I know You are only making a point, but to use a mag drill in this situation You need to clamp/bolt a plate to that small flange so You have something to stick the mag drill on.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-11-2007 15:45
30 feet in the air on a ladder?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-12-2007 05:02
That should be no problem for a wild man like You!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-12-2007 16:49
haw haw......stacks racks nipples and cracks.......
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 07-19-2007 00:11
would it not be possible to mark the holes with transfere punch swing the BOPs out of the way, drill your holes then reset the BOPs and bolt up. Even if you had to machine your own punch for the job it would pay for itself. 
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-19-2007 01:04
We're talkin right fricken now repairs........
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-19-2007 11:03
Thinking on your feet and on the run....thats your game bud...the welding is the easy part!!!  Jeez i remember my very first run for this guy running one of his trucks....

Steam tube coming of a boiler ....repair job they had already cut out the bad part and placed there fitting and had the joint pretty much ready (trying to save a buck of thier low *(&^ bid)) thing is it was about 2.5 inches off the wall...ok screw it no worries.   Got all my lead strolled out (driving time+ set up about $120 into it before I even cranked up the machine).  Ummm wheres my hood???? not in here not on the truck   oh crap I am gonna get fired first day on the job!!!!  Found a 2X4 lens in the glovebox and I used the rearview mirror on the wall......rolled back in to the shop with my boss standing outside with my hood up on a piece of pipe in front of the shop with a real (**&*) look on his face.   He just said they planned on shooting that today...my reply was "good cause the jobs done!  it will shoot fine"     I never told him nothing!!!!   I got a lot of interesting jobs from him after that.    I miss that kinda work.....it created it a lot of war stories.     At the same time watching this guy who hired me keep it all going....its a rough game man...my hats off to you for being able to put up with it all number one and number two  being so successfull at it!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-24-2007 01:17
Stacks, Racks, Nipples and Cracks  -  We got ya covered!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / impossible cuts