Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electrode size
- - By Dave Lowen1234 (*) Date 07-21-2007 19:24
Every welder I have except one is telling me they cannot do a vertical 1/4 inch fillet weld with 5/32 rod. The rod is E7018 and the steel is structural (Fy=50).

Can anyone explain this or shed some light? The welders have not given me any reasons why they can't except the usual "we've always done it this way".

Thanks
Dave
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-21-2007 19:57
They're babies and they want to take the easier way out to achieve a 1/4" 3F weld. As an instructor, I stress 5/32" E-7018 for both vertical and overhead, after my students have mastered 1/8" E-7018 in both positions; of course, quality is paramount! The economic ramifications are also of importance.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 07-22-2007 04:07
Thickness of the members to be welded can be the reason they do not want to use 5/32's. I would not use 5's on thinner metals or short (length) runs. Bigger rods make bigger messes in the wrong hands :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-22-2007 15:29 Edited 07-22-2007 15:32
I have to agree with swsweld on this. There's no practical reason to insist on the use of 5/32 inch diameter electrode in the vertical position when 1/4 inch welds are required. It becomes a real problem when working with material that doesn't have sufficient mass to absorb the heat required to run the larger diameter electrode. If you are running large fillet weld and the material is large enough, then it makes sense.

I've run into a few individuals that insisted on the welders running large diameter electrodes because it was "faster". Once you figure in the cost and time of "clean-up", there was no savings, it was just a case of someone with an ego throwing their weight around. It was usually the foremen that barely passed as welder or a supevisor that did't know which end to place in the electrode holder.

Best rgards - Al
Parent - By darren (***) Date 07-22-2007 18:37
do some in house tests, standardize the weld. run enough linear feet or enough replications of the weld to get a accurate comparison, and see which is faster,1/8 or 5/32.
then after all that i think it is important to realize that welding by hand is a subjective art. telling jimmi hendrix to play guitar like chet atkins or visa versa would be insane. telling one welder to weld like another follows the same logic.
there is a very very proficient and knowledgeable welder in our shop who has done 1/4 rod verticals on ships with 1 1/2+ inch hulls while the metal was cold. as the other posts suggest it all depends on how much other metal is involved the type and length of the weld.
as a welder i try to put the best weld i can on something if it means using 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, or whatever thats what i do. and saying that you're welders are babies might not be the most conducive to  positive management/employee relations.
if you put a bunch of tradesmen together and foster a good work environment, based on communication and mutual respect then they will teach each other out of a desire to learn and you will get better welds. if that means they end up using 5/32, great, if it means some use different size rods, great. the most important thing is a quality weld out the door and if it means increasing your bid to gain the profit you seek then so be it. safety/quality/production/profit
just my 2 cents
darren
Parent - - By Dave Lowen1234 (*) Date 07-23-2007 00:11
Just to clarify, we are reinforcing columns with 3/8 & 1/2" plates. the welds are sticth welds, the shortest weld being 4". I'm not sure what the limit is when swsweld says "short welds".
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-23-2007 03:14
As the others have aluded to, for a mediocre welder like Myself it is easier to get good results with the smaller rod. What might be the best in an ideal worold is a moot point, You have to work with the crew You have. You may have to "bring them up to speed" so to speak to use the larger rod, not just insist that they do it.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-23-2007 03:28
"You don't go to war with the army you wish you had, you go to war with the army you have."
                                                                                Dicky Cheney

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-23-2007 07:20
Hey Al ,
Are you sure that our former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld was'nt the one who came up with that excuse? :)

I would use whatever the WPS calls for, and within the stated parameters as long as the PQR's say that the welders are qualified to use the stated diameters. :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-23-2007 11:58
You're right Henry. What was I thinking?

Sorry Dicky, where ever you are.

Al
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-24-2007 01:42
I thought is was Hank....You are getting more interesting by the day!
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 07-23-2007 03:52
Dave, I have no absolute length for my statement. We didn't know how thick or how long the weldments were. If you were welding PJP or CJP 1" thick for 10" or more I would say go for it on the 5's. That's just my opinion. If I saw 5's in some of our welders hands I would quickly replace them with 1/8's. Al's reference to Dick Cheney says it best.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-24-2007 01:40
If they want to be welders, they need to learn.........
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-24-2007 01:38 Edited 07-24-2007 19:40
!
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 07-24-2007 02:35
I have no doubt that you can SD. You are a self employed contractor that has been around the block a time or two. Some of the guys that I'm refering to have only been welding a couple of years if that and not everyday either.

In time and in the right situation they should learn to use the larger rods.
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 07-24-2007 07:33
E7018, 3rd digit 1 means designed for all position welding, those welder cannot weld fillet weld in vertical position purely due to lack of skill >.<!!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-24-2007 08:08
3/8 and 1/2 inch plates?  I dont know the thickness of your beams but I would go with the bigger rod because I could cover more ground quicker.  I would encourage the welders to try it and see if they can get thier head around it.  I understand the preference because untill you run verts with bigger rods ...well it takes getting use to.  The amount of heat and size of puddle may be intimidating to them but once they get a feel for it they will be glad for it.

My $.02

Tommy
Parent - - By Dave Lowen1234 (*) Date 07-24-2007 18:20
I would like to thank everyone for their responses. First off, I would like to explain that the men working for me are actually employed by another company. I do not have the luxury of screening applicants but I have demanded that I be sent journeymen.

One would assume that being labeled a journeyman, the person would have served an apprenticeship. Not so, in this case. Anyone with a 3 position qualifies according to this employer.

We are working at a remote site in Siberia accessable only by chopper. Replacing personnel is difficult and they know it. It is also difficult to fire someone that works for another company. Nonetheless, I have 2 more welders coming and if they work out, the others will be leaving.

I intend to build the army I wish I had.

Regards,
Dave
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-24-2007 20:42
Dave,
I disagree with some of the statements made here but will try and justify my reasoning.
With vertical up welding there is generally an "optimum" travel speed for each diameter electrode (when running a single fillet run), too slow can give excess build-up and poor profile and too fast can give undercut and poor profile.
If a 3.2 mm (1/8) electrode welded at the optimum travel speed gives a 6 mm fillet and a 4 mm (5/32) electrode welded at the optimum travel speed gives an 8 mm fillet why would you go for the bigger electrode when the requirement is for only a 6 mm fillet.
I agree that with 1F or 2F it would be practical to go with the 4mm electrode and weld faster to achieve a 6 mm fillet but it does not always work that way in out of position welds.
As swsweld has stated sometimes with a bigger electrode you just end up with a bigger mess.
We have had huge problems with welding on draglines in the past because inexperienced foreman/supervisors have substituted 1.2 mm E71T-1 with 1.6 mm wire in the mistaken belief that they can complete the welds faster. Lack of fusion was rife because to weld out of position required lower amps/volts but the puddle was bigger due to the large diameter wire.That theory will work fine in the downhand position because you can really crank up the amps/volts but will not always work in the vertical and overhead positions.
As a supervisor I would rather someone who welded with a high heat input, travelled at a speed that they were comfortable with and gave me a 6 mm fillet that required no rework than someone who welded with a reduced heat input, travelled at a speed faster than they may be comfortable with, may have a fillet bigger than required and may have rework due to trying to go too fast.
Hope that makes sense, sometimes what is in your head and what comes out in type are not the same.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-26-2007 08:10 Edited 07-26-2007 08:16
Shane

no worries good solid post .....it can be done but the situation often dictates what needs to be done....As I see more replies here this is a rock and a hard place situation....you were clear, concise and on target with your viewpoint!

Edit: one more thing  As much as we try to boil down this skill intensive trade to a hard science ....it still amazes me that a lot of times it all comes down to who's hand is on the stinger.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-24-2007 22:49
Noel,

Your pretty quick to go after those guys and their skills.

D1.1  Table 3.7  note b  restricts low hydrogen electrode diameter for Vert and Overhead to 5/32 maximum.

E7018 certainly comes bigger than 5/32.

I would think that allowing the welders to make compliant fillets (as already explained by several experts) with 1/8 electrode is a no brainer here.

Sure it can be done with 5/32. But I really have to wonder why somebody went to the great expense of flying these guys out to a remote jobsite without going to the small expense of observing these guys performing welds similar to what would be required before they put them on the chopper.

What ever (arguable) gain in productivity that larger electrode might bring will surely be exceeded by a factor just shuttling workers back and forth.
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 07-25-2007 01:14
hmmm.... sorry for the short reply above. i only believe when AWS uses E7018 for this electrode size, it must be extensively welded and test to prove that this electrode with this size is satisfied all position welding. i dun have any welding experience (not work as welder) so i dont really know how difficult to perform welding with this electrode and with this position. maybe u are right. :)
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-25-2007 21:00
it's hard to believe someone would be so critical of a welders ablity, with no knowledge of what it takes to make a weld
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-26-2007 04:26
The really good guys make it look easy, after someone gives it a try they have a greater appreciation for the trade.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 07-26-2007 16:07
That is most likely one of the best statements made in this whole thread Dave. Everyone is a critic. It is nice in an ideal situation to use larger dia rods with the wind blowing the right way and your tounge in the right side of your mouth. I am a firm believer that if you are going to critiuqe a mans ability you should at the very least be able to show 'em how . If not shut the hell up and let the man get on with his job. After all what are we talking about, a 1/4" fillet. So just out of curiosity the other day I did some test to see which was faster  1/8" produced the weld in question alot faster then 5/32" . One smack with the hammer the flux falls of, couple strokes with a wire brush w'ere ready for paint such was not the case with the 5/32" .
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-26-2007 17:23
Hello makeithot, I believe the test that you did illustrates to a great degree the problems that can sometimes arise when you try to make welds with one diameter electrode over another one in specific situations. A given diameter of rod will make a specific size fillet more easily and to a better quality standard, that's part of why we have different choices of diameters for like types of rods.
     To me, a couple of the wire processes illustrate this even better. When you consider gasless FCAW wire for example, many of the .068 diameter wires are used for vertical up welds in fillet situations, although many aren't really designed for this application. An .045 wire of similar type will improve greatly on the visual performance of the weld application in this case and allow for more operators to make satisfactory welds with greater ease and less chances of failures(time is money though and so most fabricators and erectors will still opt for the increased diameter wires as they go by the bigger is obviously better train of thought).  
     GMAW with .045 ER70S-6 compared to the same wire of .035 dia. fillet welds on 12 GA. with either of these wires, I would argue that it would be easier to dial the .035 wire in to make a good looking weld with sound mechanical properties and much less spatter than would the use of the .045 dia. wire. Here again, cost and acceptability of finished product will determine which will be used in most cases. In this instance there could be a ton of variables that would also come into play, position of welding, type of shielding gas, mode of arc transfer, pulsed or not pulsed, and others.
     What I'm really trying to say here is when it comes to making particular types of welds, some combinations of welding variables will lend greatly to the ease of welding, operator comfort, speed, accuracy, and consistency of welding, amount of clean-up required and in many cases the amount of rework that is required. One needs to pay attention to the over-all picture many times and not just necessarily the portion that they perceive to be a slowdown point. My $.02 and certainly not gospel. Regards, aevald
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 07-27-2007 15:51
Aveald, Maybe not gospel but true none the less. Those are my thoughts exactly. All variables should be considererd when one makes a decision as to what process, rod dia etc is going to produce the most cost effective results. The end result of course being good weld quality with minimal or no repairs necessary.
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 07-28-2007 03:38 Edited 07-28-2007 03:41
Spent a good part of today fillet welding down shear studs with 5/32 7018.  When compared to the same size weld performed with 1/8 7018, i was knocking them dead.  Later had to 3F some shear clips onto the sides of columns  standing on some rather long extension ladders.  With feet on terra firma or even a less flexible vulcraft deck, this is an easy one with 5/32.  With the gentle swaying of the ladder brought one by the very act of breathing and a bit of an extended reach at arms length to reach the last two inches, I quickly realized that 5/32 was not going to pay the time savings that was first thought.  A small bump of the ladder by another ironworker yielded a defect in the finished weld as would have easily been avoided with 1/8.  A bit of an overlap on the last 3/8" of weld sent me down the ladder for the grinder to correct the defect.  All the time I was working to correct  this I was thinking to myself how many times I have been bumped, shook, hit with flying objects, had the ladder kicked by superintendent trying to get my attention, all while welding with 1/8 and always managed to get through the disturbance without nearly a mark in the finished product.  Just a little more molten puddle to carry up seems to make a big difference in the results when adversity strikes.  I didn't save any time on that one for sure.  It seems to be rare to weld verts on structural without the need for some kind of ladder, scaffolding, manlift,etc.  I have welded for some years either in a manlift or a truck mounted boom using large diameter FCAW wire encountering similar disturbances by outside forces, whom believe that shaking what you are welding on makes it easier for you to weld.  Not much went wrong when using the wire.  Just seems that SMAW thing is a little more sensitive to such influences as ladder induced operator shake.  Especially when the ladder being used could seem to double for a flyfishing rod.  One of those big hundred foot manlifts is also a treat when welding from the basket at full boom extension.  Seems like even just a heartbeat moves the thing a couple of inches up and down.  No 5/32 verts here for sure.  Now when they decide the spacestation needs some big SMAW verts on the side I 'm there!  Would be very cool to see how big of weld bead you could carry with the effects of gravity minimized.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-28-2007 03:55
While You are up there on the space station You could try bare electrodes, probably work a lot better there than down here.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Electrode size