Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / brittle fracture in SS
- - By prasad (*) Date 07-24-2007 23:10
What can be the reason for brittle fracture in stainless steels.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-25-2007 13:26
There are a number of things that can cause a 'brittle' fracture in SS. A couple of them are primary. One is the high volume percent of what is called sigma phase. This is a hard brittle intermetallic phase (composed predominantly of Fe, Cr, and Mo) that when present in high volume percents can impose its properties of brittleness upon the microstructure as a whole and manifest in mechanical testing or even in certain service regimes. This is a diffusion controlled process and is therefore related to time at temperature. This is why those alloys are particularly susceptible will require greater heat input control.
Then there is liquation cracking wherein low melt eutectics create a liquid film at grain bounderies and are not quite solidified at the very moment when tensile stresses created from weldment cooling are trying to pull the weldment apart.
Tis is also somewhar  related to star fractures or crater cracks wherein the 'junk' elements such as S and P are pushed ahead of the solification front to create high volume percents at weld stops.
Both of there phenomena can be related to overheating the alloy.
Hopefully Chuck will chime in here to help clarify some of these issues and add more.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 07-25-2007 18:31
You bring up some good points JS.  I think this one needs a little more information to really give a good response.  Try giving the material type, welding process, filler choice, joint type, ect.  This would give the SS guru's a better shot at a reliable response.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 07-25-2007 19:09
As Jeff made some good points, and I agree, sigma is prevalent for embrittlement, but let me add just a little. I believe embrittlement is also prevalent in the martensitic, and especially the ferritic metals. The DBTT (Ductile to Brittle Transition Temperature) is especially noticed in the ferritic materials. In this sense, excessive grain growth will decrease the strength and toughness of the ferritic steels. Since most stainless steels do not have a problem with excessive grain growth, the ferritic steels are more affected. The ferritic structure is much more prone to grain growth than the austenitic and duplex grades. This, combined with the fact that the ferritic steels start out with a lower level of toughness makes them more vunerable to embrittlement in the HAZ. I hope I didn't totally miss the point...

Chuck
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-25-2007 20:07
Don't think you missed the point at all. Glad for the input on ferritics and martensitics. I naturally suffer from 'austenitic brain' since I've done so much more of it than the others, including PH's, which have their own embrittlement issues. But like MDG said, if we had a little more info we could provide a little more targeted info ourselves.
But even without that its a good discussion for stuff we don't know, and a good reinforcement for things we knew and forgot.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 07-25-2007 23:25
I absolutely agree that we can give better data if we had precise information than just a generic hypothetical situation. Plus, depending on the time I have to take my medication and the time I try to respond to a thread....Well, sometime here lately my brain is a little less than working at 100%. Here's hoping everyone will have patience with me. Still, it is good to be able to participate in the Forum again. Thanks to everyone, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. 
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-26-2007 01:37
Hello Chuck;

It's more important to you and to us that you take care of your needs first.

We're all pulling for you.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-26-2007 01:39
Hello Chuck;

It's more important to you and to us that you take care of your needs first.

My wife and sisters used to call it "chemical brain" when they were on the "meds".

We're all pulling for you.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-26-2007 02:16
From what I've seen, your 50% is most peoples 110%. Your health and well being trumps any possible concern anyone could raise.

With prayers and good will,
Gerald
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-26-2007 06:39
My Goodness, Chuck you do what you feel up to and you want to do Sir.  Your a blessing here not a bridle. Lots of prayers out there for you and yours Chuck ....have confidence in them and draw strength from the Source.  On your worst day you have more answers then the majority of us will probably ever know!

God Bless and Keep you!
Tommy
Parent - By prasad (*) Date 07-26-2007 15:08
Hi ,

I agree that there should be more details in the question . It was in fact a colleague at work who asked me this maybe something to do with the job under his supervision . I will ask him more specifics
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / brittle fracture in SS