Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Need School Help Please!
- - By Andersen_Welder Date 07-25-2007 19:54
Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this site and enjoyed reading the articles so, far.

Need some help from you guys who have been out in the field welding.

I am in my 3rd Semester of Tech College and at the end of this quarter we
must choose an elective to follow. I need some help on what to pick?!

We can either take
1.TIG - Advanced TIG
2. Fluxcore
3. Pipe welding with rods

If we are successful in the pipe course we can then come back and take advanced
pipe with TIG. IE Tiging the root etc and filling it in with rods.

A lot of my friends chose Fluxcore, as they wanted to work for railroad companies
nearby. I have the option to travel and wanted to know what would be the best
to take fluxcore, TIG or pipewelding?

Currently, I am welding overhead in the 4 G position. Most of my training has been
over the last nine months with rods.

Thanks for all replies and help.

Andersen
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-25-2007 20:25
My suggestion: Pipe welding as with ASME and API applications.
Parent - - By Andersen_Welder Date 07-25-2007 20:47
Thanks fbrieden,

The pipe course is 3 months..then 3 months with pipe and TIG.

Does 6 months total pipe sound like enough? I am afraid I won't know enough
when I get out there finally on the job site.

Thanks again for the comments
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-25-2007 21:34
Andersen_Welder,
If you can learn then 6mos. is just the beginning. In 6 mos. a student could learn to pass a welding test or three, you are your only limitation if you only strive for just enough- it may not be enough- always strive for being the best. Example- if you only read enough of the study material to answer the questions asked, success will be a challenge if you read your entire assignments and exhaust all other resources in your access (ask -ask- and ask again try and ask some more, the books and instruction that you are provided, and books and instruction that you get elsewhere, exhausting the internet as a learning tool (good start this forum is a informative place to be) will get you on your way to success. Doing, reading, doing, asking, doing, trying, doing never giving up, one never stops learning.
Good luck and welcome to the ranks :)
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-27-2007 13:03
When applying for a welding job, the person chosen for the position is usually the one with the most abilities. Combination hands are chosen over single process hands.
You should take the SMAW pipe course. This will teach you rod and puddle control, along with how to keep the bevel clean for x-ray quality, in all positions. These skills also transfer easily to structural welding. The GTAW class afterward is a must and will refine the skills you just learned.
If you're really smart, you'll stay after class, or go in on weekends and teach yourself how to use the GMAW fluxcore. I would imagine that any reasonable instructor would allow you to borrow a machine now and then, give you a few pointers and suggest some reading material. Make friends with one of the guys in the other class and trade off knowledge. Make the most out of your time in school.
Keep in mind that in order for anything to be welded, it has to be fitted up first. Sometimes that is a whole different job for a separate person. Often the welder is expected to fit his own projects. Those that can do both are top hands and are the most valuable. Learn how to use a torch, square, tape measure, grinder and especially drawings or blueprints.
Finally, know that welding is regulated by codes, standards and procedures called "WPS" (Welding Procedure Specification). Investigate and learn the visual weld inspection requirements for the American Welding Society AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ASME Section Nine, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Piping code. This will teach you what a welding defect is "technically". You'll find that a welder who does not leave behind errors or defects, that have to be repaired, is the most valuable of all.

Good Luck,
Tim
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-26-2007 02:43
Pipe welders are going to tell you pipe welding, railroaders, and some structural guys are going to tell you fluxcore, aerospace hands are going to tell you tig.
Welding in general is wide open to about any industry you would wish to partake of. It must also be remembered that it's not just welding your training would
be good for. QA QC NDE types use that training as well if they are good at what they do.
IMHO, the first question you should be asking yourself is "what do I want to do?" Rail, aerospace, shipping, pipeline/refinery, automobile, structural, military etc etc.
The answer to that will define your travel boundries, and what your process focus should be. In all cases, it's just a jumping off point. A good welder practices their
craft and continuously educates themselves, as does all other skilled trades.

In theory and reality, you could find yourself in the bowls of a ship welding on a pump base, in a hanger welding on a compressor fan, in a factory, touch up the welds the machines screwed up, in the middle of a mountain range (anywhere in the world) pipe lining, hanging of a rope welding on an off shore oil rig, under the water welding on the same, welding on an M1 abrams, apache or the bomblet drum for a cruise missle, patching up a cat cracker, or chasing hic in a seperator, etc, etc, etc.

The three processes you list will take you to several of those places singular and with all, to all of them. I suggest you do some thinking on just what it is you wish to do with your new skills, then focus accordingly.

My two cents worth,
Gerald
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-26-2007 07:54 Edited 07-26-2007 07:59
Dang Gerald!!!   That was a killer reply!  I really dont know if I could add anything as unbiased and usefull as that...

But I will chime in in my opinionated way anyway LOL!

Mr. Anderson  (always wanted to say that in a usefull way..think matrix)

The railroad in itself as a company (esp. union pacific) is a Career.  Pipe welding is a universe unto itself and is $$lucrative$$.  Both often require extensive travel and for a young single guy it is a heck of a good start on life.  I have had a wildly varied welding career so I will just give advice based on that perspective:  To me you need to learn all processes because it will take you the farthest and give you a lot more options down the road.  Lots of things can be had a long the way and go hand in hand with welding: machining, fabrication, fitting, quality control....all skills which you may get opportunity to try your hand at.

I currently work as an aircraft industry welder which requires a seriously steady hand, great eyesight and experience with a wide variety of metals (yep its all tig).  I love it because the work conditions are great and the work is challenging.....have I been doing this all my life?  heck no!  everything but actually.    "EDIT"  I just included that because I will go against the grain just a bit on Geralds post.

You asked which to take and I might open a can of worms here:  I would say the Smaw Pipe would be the most difficult skill to master.  If you can run pipe either downhill, or low hydrogen or ss rod in verts....it makes a lot of the other welding you may be challenged with seem easier.  With pipe you are constantly changing position, with smaw you constantly have to adjust length, all the while holding that puddle intact.....not easy.   Now since you have already spent so much time with smaw already....Tig might be the way to go as its used in pipe from time to time and almost always seems to involve multiposition welding.  Tig jobs always seem to pay good for some reason...( I don't know why because I think its easy...maybe material costs).  As far as the FCAW skills...they seem to mostly apply to production(heavy), job shop (build anything), and structural type work.  Running fluxcore uphill takes some skill...If you have never used a wire welder that class will be very interesting to you because its VERY different from smaw.  Thing is if you have a base in all these skills you are a more vauable/more employable welder then if not.  I would personnally go for the pipe or the tig if I had only the opportunity to choose one.  But as CWI555 already said a good welder is continuously educating themselves...you are just preparing now to take that first step on that journey and thats what it really is a journey.

Best wishes

Tommy

p.s. be sure to post updates on how it all goes for ya
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 07-26-2007 23:40
go with the pipe. Structural welders have to work too hard.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-27-2007 00:43
Tommy ,I think you might have said it best a little of all don't hurt a thing it will help down the road in the future.
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 07-29-2007 19:34
Pipe welding. Plus you'll get to go and learn tig welding pipe...........sounds like "Win! Win!" to me.
IF you master pipe welding, every other welding process will come easier for you.
Parent - - By Andersen_Welder Date 07-29-2007 21:21
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I am leaning toward the Pipe welding now and will ask my instructor about it soon.

In the future I may post some pics of my welds etc..so, you can see how the progress is coming.

Pipe Welding would probably be the best fit for me. Right now I am in welding school in Georgia, USA but
my dad lives in the country of Norway. Their main industries there are gas and oil...lot's of off shore platforms.

Thanks everyone,

Anderson
Parent - - By pchdylan Date 08-01-2007 00:15
anderson_welder what school are you in in Georgia USA if i may as? im in high school and have been welding since i was old enough to know what it is, i know that is nothing like schoolin but im curently lookin for a good school for myself so i can learn more and get out there and weld for a profession
Parent - By Andersen_Welder Date 08-02-2007 00:52
Hi pchdylan,

The school is called Augusta Tech.

I have checked a lot of schools out and this one seems to be the top one.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 08-12-2007 14:00
School will teach you too weld (usually in a booth).  Time will make you a professional, don't overlook some of the great training available thru the UNION apprenticeship programs out there.  Both the Pipefitters and Boilermakers offer good programs which will teach you to master your trade(s).  Also you can start have a pension to collect when you retire AND their wages are the among the best in the industry.  Kind of a no brainer in my humble opinion.  Good luck
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Need School Help Please!