Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / powdercoating removal
- - By EVWELDER (**) Date 07-30-2007 18:35 Edited 07-30-2007 18:37
I have a 16x16x36 metal box that has been powdercoated I would like to remove so I can turn it into something any help out there thats not too time consuming?
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 07-30-2007 19:37
I'm sure there will be better answers than mine, but a company I used to work for also had a truck accessory biz (brushguards and such) and they would burn the powder coating off with a torch.  It was time consuming though, cuz I heard them complaining numerous times about it.  Other than that, maybe sandblasting?  Doesn't seem to be any "easy" way that I know of.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 07-30-2007 20:14
Depending on the finish thickness, sandblasting might take a long time too.  I did a railing job a few months ago that was coated with a textured black and it would not blast off, even using the heaviest media I could get.  Burning it off was the only thing that worked.
Parent - - By turbolaser (**) Date 07-31-2007 01:22
There are 2 ways that have been succesfull for me.  First is to get a sandblast media with walnut shell in it, works well.  Even quicker is a solvent called zip strip.
Parent - - By EVWELDER (**) Date 07-31-2007 02:31
were would I be able to find this zip srtip?
Parent - - By elliott (**) Date 07-31-2007 20:21
hows it going. I just found some at the true value hardware store in mass if that helps you. I have used before and the zip strip will take anything off that you can imagine .
Parent - By EVWELDER (**) Date 07-31-2007 23:13
Thanks I will try that to see how good it works thanks for the help.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / powdercoating removal